X1 Kinect keeps on turning off

Add me to this list as well.

Same issue(s) as techbeck.

My 1st XBO did this for many months, across many software updates. Never corrected itself and nothing I tried corrected it.

Bought my 2nd XBO (refurbished / certified) and as of last week it's doing the exact thing my first one did. This 2nd XBO has never been plugged into a power strip/surge protector.

On my 1st XBO I went around and around with xbox support and they seemed dumbfounded by the issue as if they never heard about it before.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I'm going to try a few more things that you pointed out, techbeck, and see how it goes. Namely, blowing out the kinect ports.

Quick update.

I'm on the new dashboard experience, and lo and behold, my Kinect is running and operating absolutely fine. Hasn't turned itself off since the update came through (early August) and actually responds to my girlfriends voice now, something it never did before.

Quick update.

I'm on the new dashboard experience, and lo and behold, my Kinect is running and operating absolutely fine. Hasn't turned itself off since the update came through (early August) and actually responds to my girlfriends voice now, something it never did before.

Good to hear.  Was hoping to get an invite to the dashboard experience but still have not.

Apparently they're adding more users end of the week. So you never know your luck. Quite buggy though so be prepared.

Shall see if I get in.  Is there a site that lists all the current issues?

Shall see if I get in.  Is there a site that lists all the current issues?

I just look through the 'Known Issues' section of the preview dashboard.

Actually having major issues with this last night while trying to watch TV. I use the Xbox USB TV Receiver, and last night it was going haywire.
I rewound a section of a program and it jumped 30 minutes back, and then i couldn't change channels or fast forward to my original place. OneGuide has been playing silly buggers with ignoring the Tuner, not updating the details or just having the plain wrong time and listings in place. The box also hard crashed 3 times!

I'm not complaining of course, it's what i signed up for, and i've been reporting bugs constantly. Despite all this, i do think it'll be a genuinely good upgrade once it's iron out. It's a far bigger update than even the 360's was when it went to the new experience, and it's pretty clear it's going to be well worth the effort and bugs in the long run.

Just a heads up ;)

• 2 months later...

check if you got too much strain on the kinect cable sometimes that can cause the kinect to malfunction and may or will be needed to be replaced i recommend at lest foot of slack at the kinect if you use a kinect TV/wall/floor stand mount zip tie the cable to mount with six inch of slack max or you can try to force update kinect by power off x1 unplug kinect power on x1 plug kinect then turn off kinect and launch Xbox fitness which is free on turn it on via the game and that will force update the kinect i know the force update works i am a ms partner(i do not work for Microsoft i repeat i do not work for Microsoft) and a preferred test concept pre-alpha alpha bate tester of windows OS Xbox OS office and games for many other company's and don't ask me what games i test i singed a NDA

4 hours ago, techbeck said:

I had tried everything.  Works for a few days after a hard reset, but then craps out.  Will eventually get it replaced.

Same. Funny thing was, it worked fine during the new experience preview, and as soon as that went gold, the Kinect broke again.

• 2 months later...

Fixed! For about 8 months I have had to unplug my xb1 in order to get my Kinect to come on for a day or two. A few weeks ago I unplugged EVERYTHING and took my xb1 and Kinect to my garage where I used my air compressor at about 75psi to blow out the xb1 and Kinect. After plugging everything back in and powering on I have had full use of the Kinect without any need to unplug or hard reset. I'm thinking dust build up within the systems is causing an overheat / shutdown condition. If things stop working in the near future I will be sure to inform everyone, but as of now it's all working as advertised. If you don't have an air compressor you might be able to use a can of air but not sure it will have enough psi to get the job done. Worth a shot though. 

Edited by Cmadd78

• 1 month later...
On March 3, 2016 at 10:11 PM, Cmadd78 said:

Fixed! For about 8 months I have had to unplug my xb1 in order to get my Kinect to come on for a day or two. A few weeks ago I unplugged EVERYTHING and took my xb1 and Kinect to my garage where I used my air compressor at about 75psi to blow out the xb1 and Kinect. After plugging everything back in and powering on I have had full use of the Kinect without any need to unplug or hard reset. I'm thinking dust build up within the systems is causing an overheat / shutdown condition. If things stop working in the near future I will be sure to inform everyone, but as of now it's all working as advertised. If you don't have an air compressor you might be able to use a can of air but not sure it will have enough psi to get the job done. Worth a shot though. 

Hey everyone! So...as I mentioned...I had my XBONE Kinect working in March...guess what...quit working again...go figure. I now have it working again....here is the new plan of action. Mind you...if you attempt this fix you will need a bit of soldering and understanding of mechanical working knowledge. I hold no responsibility if you attempt this fix and it does not work or causes damage. With that being said...I disassembled my Kinect and found my fan no longer working. I had a small CPU fan that I removed and rewired for use on the Kinect. I did not use the yellow wire on the Kinect...I simply wired the black, red, and blue wires on the fan to the old connector for the bad Kinect fan. Mind you the Kinect fan is 5vdc and the cpu fan is 12vdc, but all seems to be working fine. The fan runs 24/7 now. Due to the larger size of the cpu fan I had to use black duct tape to secure it to the back of the Kinect. No problems anymore and this seems to have taken care of the issue once more. If you have any questions or need to see pictures of the work please feel free to reply and I will get back with you as soon as possible. This is the cheap way to go...and you need some soldering skills to do it. I did find some replacement fans from China for about $15 if you just want to go with a replacement instead (I didn't want to wait a month for it to arrive). Long story short...it's a cooling issue causing these Kinect sensors to fail. Thanks Microsoft! 

• 2 months later...
On 01/05/2016 at 3:28 AM, Cmadd78 said:

Hey everyone! So...as I mentioned...I had my XBONE Kinect working in March...guess what...quit working again...go figure. I now have it working again....here is the new plan of action. Mind you...if you attempt this fix you will need a bit of soldering and understanding of mechanical working knowledge. I hold no responsibility if you attempt this fix and it does not work or causes damage. With that being said...I disassembled my Kinect and found my fan no longer working. I had a small CPU fan that I removed and rewired for use on the Kinect. I did not use the yellow wire on the Kinect...I simply wired the black, red, and blue wires on the fan to the old connector for the bad Kinect fan. Mind you the Kinect fan is 5vdc and the cpu fan is 12vdc, but all seems to be working fine. The fan runs 24/7 now. Due to the larger size of the cpu fan I had to use black duct tape to secure it to the back of the Kinect. No problems anymore and this seems to have taken care of the issue once more. If you have any questions or need to see pictures of the work please feel free to reply and I will get back with you as soon as possible. This is the cheap way to go...and you need some soldering skills to do it. I did find some replacement fans from China for about $15 if you just want to go with a replacement instead (I didn't want to wait a month for it to arrive). Long story short...it's a cooling issue causing these Kinect sensors to fail. Thanks Microsoft! 

Thru comes out today and i really want to play it, so i'm thinking of heading down this route. Got plenty of old cpu fans knocking around. Will report back!

Edit: I'm in! The cooling fan is stuck solid. That'll be the issue then :p

• 3 weeks later...

So, after the latest update for the X1 which includes Cortana....Kinect started working again.  Apparently I got the update today while at work.  Turned on the X1 and Kinect made the noise like it was starting up.   Normally I have to do a hard reset in order for it to work an hour or so.  But when the update was applied, the system soft reset. I was able to turn on the X1 using my remote instead of pressing the button in the console itself which you normally have to do with a hard reset.  Voice commands are working no problem.

Anywho, to early to say if it will continue to work.  If so, it was a software issue all along and will not be happy if MS sat on the issue for so long.  Even if it is "fixed"

Will report later.  Hopefully it keeps working.

• Like 1

Ironically mine went off again once the full update was released. I'm not going to blame the update as i left the back off the Kinect just in case and i can clearly see the new fan is jammed again. Bad solder job on my part me thinks, will have to sort it though as Fru is a lot of fun.

I have the same issue. I always have to unplug and replug to get it working. I thought the new update would fix the issue. After 4 days it turn off and have to do the unplug and replug to get it working again. Don't know this issue keeps happening but getting tired of this which I use everyday because my Xbox is my media center.

Stopped working again.  Finally said ###### it and bought a new one.  Impulse buy kinda but was getting ###### off when it started to work for a few days and I got use to the voice commands.  Price for a new connect is a little under $100 now so really not to bad considering I plan on keeping this console for a while. I plan on buying the new/more powerful X1 when released next year...but will keep my day one edition as a extra device.

10 hours ago, MikeChipshop said:

Let us know if it works for a while. At least that way I'd be absolutely certain it wasn't an OS based problem.

So far, so good.  Bought it Sunday and has not failed once.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a few weeks and the new Kinect is working perfect.  Has not turned off or not issues at all.  Price for a new Kinect was about $150 but now they are around $100.  You can get an opened box or refurb for $70...but the extra $30 is worth it for me since it is a new device.

• 1 month later...

I tried every solution on offer and nothing. But to end a sad tale with great news. I found it was to do with the XBOX ONES power settings. If you have it on power saver mode kinnects keeps turning off bit if you set it to instant on Kinnects stays going and hasn't turned off in a week since I did it. So ignore all the other solutions and just change to instant on.

14 hours ago, TimboNZ said:

I tried every solution on offer and nothing. But to end a sad tale with great news. I found it was to do with the XBOX ONES power settings. If you have it on power saver mode kinnects keeps turning off bit if you set it to instant on Kinnects stays going and hasn't turned off in a week since I did it. So ignore all the other solutions and just change to instant on.

14 hours ago, TimboNZ said:

Instant On does not fix the issue for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...