Cooking - Cook Book Suggestions

I'm needing to learn how to cook, anyone recommend some beginners cookbooks?

I've found / researched the "Joy Of Cooking", and know to get the 1975 or 2006 versions and avoid the 1997 edition. 
What are some other essential books for a beginers?

Also looking in to crock pots related information. 

Edited by Eternal Tempest

I'm needing to learn how to cook, anyone recommend some beginners cookbooks?

I've found / researched the "Joy Of Cooking", and know to get the 1975 or 2006 versions and avoid the 1997 edition. 
What are some other essential books for a beginers?

Also looking in to crock pots related information. 

Hit up BudMan. That dude has oodles of awesome recipes. I'm learning to cook things for my new diet. I'm 350lbs, trying to drop 100lbs by January to be 250lbs. My before 30 goal! :)

You can cook almost anything in a crock pot. I'll ask my mother for her recipes. I actually need to transcribe her recipes into a digital format. When I do that, I'll be sure to post it here. I've got a few 100 year old recipes in there as well. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how this thread turns out. Give us a bit more information too. Do you want full meals or just the main course? Do you know what Safeway is? IF you do, they sell some awesome boneless/skinless chicken breasts that are marinaded. You can crock pot cook them, or you can BBQ them. I do a LOT of BBQ'ing. Thanks to BudMan, I'm hooked on Lamb, but damn I can't afford to eat it every week :(

• Like 2

The internet is full of stuff, Food Network, allrecipes.com, It just depends on how adventurous and creative you are.  Cooking is a art and like any art you have full control.

All you really need to know is the basics: How long to cook the type of meat to the safe internal temp of it & the tougher the cut, low heat and slow. Marinate/spice it, either wet or do a dry rub.

I don't use the crockpot much (probably because I like being more of an active cook), Pan sear/fry, oven bake, grill it, just channel your inner caveman and don't over think it. :p

This may be slightly advanced if you're just getting into cooking, but it's really not. It does require some babysitting though.

It was my night to cook so I did a pan seared/oven roasted pork loin. Actually had to cut it in half and use two skillets.

Did a dry rub with McCormick's Grill Mates Roasted Garlic & Herb overnight in a sealed container in the fridge, then did this:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees

Heat about a Tablespoon of oil on the stove top in a cast iron skillet and sear all sides of roast

Put skillet in preheated oven for about 20 minutes per pound, turning roast about every 8 minutes

Cook until internal temp reaches 145 degrees (about an hour or so)

Remove from oven, tent with foil and let rest 15 minutes

Slice, serve and enjoy!

5Q2ZXiym.jpg

EUETTBbm.jpg

Edited by CrashGordon
Finally got the pics to show, what a PITA, Not to be confused with PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
  • Like 1

Thank you for the resources / posts.
Will be checking these out. 

Also sorry about the delay in responding, didn't get a notification about new posts until just recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I mentioned the allrecipes.com in a earlier post, here's some just for crock pot/slow cookers (which is what you were asking about):

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipes/253/everyday-cooking/slow-cooker/?mxt=t06rda

http://www.crock-pot.com/recipes.html

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/preparation/slow-cooker-recipes

that should give ya enough ideas to last awhile. :p

Don't be afraid to experiment either, substitute ingredients for what you like/have on hand. Use the basic technique, but put your own spin on it.

@MenOfLetters, it tasted as good as it looked, juicy and tender. I don't normally take pictures of what I cook, but I thought that one was pic worthy.:laugh:

Edited by CrashGordon
  • Like 1