More remasters may be possibly be heading to the PS4

Gamescom 2015: It's Very Likely There'll Be More PS4 Remasters, Says Sony

Posted 7:00am Fri 7th Aug 2015 by Sammy Barker

But they must be great games

Uncharted PS4 PlayStation 4 1

There have been a spate of PlayStation 4 remasters since the system's launch in 2013, but it doesn't look like Sony's done yet. The platform holder's lined up Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection for later this year, but speaking with PlayStation Germany, SCEE boss Jim Ryan has hinted that there may be more new-gen ports on the way.

"We know that there are lots of PS4 owners that have either never played games before or used to have an Xbox or a Nintendo who have never had the chance to play something like the Uncharted trilogy," he said. "But it has to be a great game if we're going to go to the trouble of re-mastering. I can't talk specifically, but I think that it's very likely that there'll be more."

To be honest, we're struggling to think of many other games that it could re-release. Gravity Rushis the most likely next candidate, but beyond that, we're stumped. We suppose that something like Puppeteer could find a home on the PlayStation Store, but we doubt that the Japanese giant will bother with brands such as Resistance. Is there anything left that you'd like to see make the jump – or are you done with remasters now?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/08/gamescom_2015_its_very_likely_therell_be_more_ps4_remasters_says_sony

I just hope that they are PS1/PS2 era games than PS3.

To me the PS3 is still a now thing and not like a "Disney Vault" kind of thing.

I would love to see a Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen and Soul Reaver get some royal treatment...

I just hope that they are PS1/PS2 era games than PS3.

To me the PS3 is still a now thing and not like a "Disney Vault" kind of thing.

I would love to see a Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen and Soul Reaver get some royal treatment...

I'm still hoping that the PS1/PS2 emulator that was rumored a while back actually comes to the PS4.  I actually still have discs to some of my favorite older games and it would be great to be able to just put them in and play.  I do have the original PS3 with backwards compatibility but it would be nice to be able to play them on the PS4 (and move the PS3 to a different TV).

I doubt they'll completely remaster PS1 or PS2 games so that they run natively on the PS4 (instead of being emulated).  If they were going to revive franchises from those eras that have been neglected I suspect they'd just go for a complete reboot instead of just a "remaster" or emulate the existing games.

This will quickly be known as the Remastered Console Generation. Why can't these resources be dedicated to new or existing IP's?

This will quickly be known as the Remastered Console Generation. Why can't these resources be dedicated to new or existing IP's?

Because people keep buying the remasters and there is less risk involved in updating games that sold well in the prior gen compared to taking risks on entirely new IPs that could completely tank in the market.  I'd rather they make new games instead of remaking old ones but I understand the business reasons for it.

The top former PS3 exclusive games especially sell well in the U.S. because Xbox 360 won last gen heavily in the U.S. (they came out pretty even worldwide.)  The PS4 has a lot of former Xbox 360 gamers who never had a PS3 so these games are all new to them.

The remasters normally get outsourced to other smaller studios, so it's not like they're preventing the teams who originally created them creating new content (or sequels).

They are capaitalising on the fact that many PS4 owners were never PS3 owners. I want new IPs and sequels too, but I don't think they will put all of their eggs in one basket and only make remakes or remasters.

oh ffs

The only exclusive I can think of that MIGHT be worth it is a Killzone Kollection that would include the PS2 game and ShadowFall as well.  Mayyyyyyybe Demon's Souls.   Mayyyyyyyybe a Quantum Quollection with Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls.

3rd party games are cash grabs, especially with X1's backwards compatibility available, unless there's a herd of Wii users that never got to play Red Dead Redepmtion or GTA4..  As for exclusives, Puppeteer, really?

I would play the ###### out of a remastered Skyrim, though.

I would play the ###### out of a remastered Skyrim, though.

Aren't there plenty of great PC mods which make Skyrim look incredible? You could play those?

Aren't there plenty of great PC mods which make Skyrim look incredible? You could play those?

Given that the post is in the "Sony Console" subforum my guess would be he has the console version of Skyrim so PC mods wouldn't do him a lot of good.

I have the PC version myself but I would think that a current-gen console version would have a great deal of appeal to all the people who bought the last gen console versions.  I'd probably put it as the #1 candidate for a remaster that isn't a 1st party title.  Heck Bethesda could even cherry pick some of the more popular PC mods and include them or better yet actually try and support the PC mods (like they are apparently going to do with Fallout 4) on the remastered console version.