The search is on for Parallel Universes at the Large Hadron Collider - and here's how Physicists plan to look for them.

Article: http://phys.org/news/2015-03-mini-black-holes-lhc-parallel.html

(Phys.org)—The possibility that other universes exist beyond our own universe is tantalizing, but seems nearly impossible to test. Now a group of physicists has suggested that the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the largest particle collider in the world, may be able to uncover the existence of parallel universes, should they exist.

In a new paper published in Physics Letters B, Ahmed Farag Ali, Mir Faizal, and Mohammed M. Khalil explain that the key to finding parallel universes may come from detecting miniature black holes at a certain energy level. The detection of the mini black holes would indicate the existence of extra dimensions, which would support string theory and related models that predict the existence of extra dimensions as well as parallel universes.

"Normally, when people think of the multiverse, they think of the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, where every possibility is actualized," Faizal told Phys.org. "This cannot be tested and so it is philosophy and not science. This is not what we mean by parallel universes. What we mean is real universes in extra dimensions. As gravity can flow out of our universe into the extra dimensions, such a model can be tested by the detection of mini black holes at the LHC. We have calculated the energy at which we expect to detect these mini black holes in gravity's rainbow [a new theory]. If we do detect mini black holes at this energy, then we will know that both gravity's rainbow and extra dimensions are correct."

Using gravity's rainbow, the scientists found that a little bit more energy is required to produce mini black holes at the LHC than previously thought. So far, the LHC has searched for mini black holes at energy levels below 5.3 TeV. According to gravity's rainbow, this energy is too low. Instead, the model predicts that black holes may form at energy levels of at least 9.5 TeV in six dimensions and 11.9 TeV in 10 dimensions. Since the LHC is designed to reach 14 TeV in future runs, these predicted energy requirements for black hole production should be accessible.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-03-mini-black-holes-lhc-parallel.html#jCp

Ooh, that should be a very interesting round of experimentation and testing, whether they find something or not. Even if they don't, they'll probably unlock a few new fundamental subatomic particles and quite a few interactions that haven't been seen before.

On the other hand, if they do get the "mini black holes", the energy they find them at will be the most telling of all. Most Theoretical Physicists agree that 10 Dimensions is the maximum, but if they find more, then the energies will tell them that too ...

Exciting times, folks. :yes: 

• Like 1

/s.... At 11.9 TeV, a red telephone booth may appear with a disgruntled Dr inside.......

/s....On the other hand, hope it proves false, one universe with politicians and banksters is enough.........:D

• Like 1

/s.... At 11.9 TeV, a red telephone booth may appear with a disgruntled Dr inside.......

/s....On the other hand, hope it proves false, one universe with politicians and banksters is enough.........:D

If that booth is Red, I'm truly going to fear for the Multiverse at that point. We don't need an Anti- version of The Doctor. The Master was quite sufficient, thank you. And no, not a "Professor" either.

Although, since I believe Everett's "Many Worlds" Theory is correct (and it wouldn't matter if I didn't, since there's a Multiverse where it IS correct), that version exists and it's actually ME. And since I'm also The Doctor, as well as everyone and everything else -- everywhere .. Kinda brain trippy isn't it? Hehe ...

And the really scary part? I AM ALL OF YOU TOO. WE ARE ALL ONE AND THE SAME, EVERYWHERE. :D 

So why do we continue to fight one another? All we're doing is harming OURSELVES.

There's some Schrodinger's Cat stuff for consideration.

• Like 1

Ahhh...but will the stricture be a Tegmark type 1, 2, 3, or 4?  I'm betting on type 4. 

I'm still leaning toward Type III, but the findings are indicating Type IV or a combination of III and IV. If Type IV is really Type III with more parameters then yeah, I completely agree with you on Type IV. 

A web series called "Imagining the Tenth Dimension" and "O is for Omniverse" by Rob Bryanton explains a lot of what is being postulated in more simpler terms. It's not completely peer-reviewed, but it's essentially what the LHC Physicists are looking for with these experiments.

It's an interesting video, and there's a full-length version that goes into VERY great detail about the expected conditions of each Dimension from a scientific perspective. It's mostly unproven and theoretical, but it's razor-edge, Theoretical Physics. My only real issue with the series is that it makes a lot of assumptions that could be a little too far-fetched sometimes.

• Like 1

Shirley if one is looking for an unusual phenomenon one should look for something that is not the norm one would expect rather than setting parameters of what it should look like?

• Like 2

It's putting things into a context that we can relate to.

And don't call me Shirley. :D

(Sorry, Airplane! reference. Had to do it.)

• Like 2

I can only grasp the explanation up to the 5th Dimensions, and have no confidence that i could properly understood what the 6th Dimensions was about,
and absolutely no idea about 7th Dimensions and beyond.

• Like 3

I can only grasp the explanation up to the 5th Dimensions, and have no confidence that i could properly understood what the 6th Dimensions was about,
and absolutely no idea about 7th Dimensions and beyond.

It's some heavy, heavy stuff; and the concepts are pretty advanced even when the attempt is made to break them down into simpler language that the average person can understand.

The fault I find with the series is that the author is playing around with "Infinity" as arbitrary "directional" variables for Dimensions 7, 8 and 9. "Super-Infinity" as Dimension 10 would be, what -- "The Mind of Everything, Everywhere"? Infinity is INFINITY. Everything, everywhere, that ever was, is, and shall be.

It's a beginner's guide to Dimensional Theorems and Hypothesis; but in practical terms, not so much in the way of usefulness when it's put to real scrutiny. Just enough to get us interested in the subject and get our feet wet. :)

• Like 2

A web series called "Imagining the Tenth Dimension" and "O is for Omniverse" by Rob Bryanton explains a lot of what is being postulated in more simpler terms. It's not completely peer-reviewed, but it's essentially what the LHC Physicists are looking for with these experiments.

It's an interesting video, and there's a full-length version that goes into VERY great detail about the expected conditions of each Dimension from a scientific perspective. It's mostly unproven and theoretical, but it's razor-edge, Theoretical Physics. My only real issue with the series is that it makes a lot of assumptions that could be a little too far-fetched sometimes.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/3d6e14d85e881b4494506ed07a2c2f98/tumblr_n68b8h6TOp1snfsquo1_400.gif

Ugh images with this new format suck.

• Like 2