Best 4K Monitor - My Options

Hi,

Looking to get a 4K screen. What is the best one available to date?

I saw the Samsung U32D970Q 32" but not 100% sure its the best, but the bigger issue is that it does not look to have VESA mounting available. Reviews also state that 4K isn't that sharp on 32", which I find odd, why wouldn't it be?

You want to consider if you are using an Nvidia video card or AMD, and get a GSync or FreeSync accordingly, as they are MUCH smoother while gaming...

Also I see from your hardware profile above you are using an Nvidia 780ti, you should get another one and run SLI for 4k gaming... it will perform a lot better.

With that said.. I would personally go with ASUS Ultra Wide, you will LOVE it.

• Like 1

I use 3 of the monoprice 4k monitors.  I have enjoyed them, but do not have a lot of others to compare with.

You want to consider if you are using an Nvidia video card or AMD, and get a GSync or FreeSync accordingly, as they are MUCH smoother while gaming...

Also I see from your hardware profile above you are using an Nvidia 780ti, you should get another one and run SLI for 4k gaming... it will perform a lot better.

With that said.. I would personally go with ASUS Ultra Wide, you will LOVE it.

To bad that is not a released monitor. And I am not really sure about curved screens.

Also not sure if I would like 21:9 over 4K.

What you want is something that is 4k, 120hz+ and low MS response time with GSYNC, the best I can see for this would be from ASUS but it's 27", the 32" models are still 60hz and I wouldn't buy a 60hz at 4k resolution, it's going to look muddled.

Whatever you settle on, get ready to pop another 780TI in your system to get any decent 4k framerates, or be ready to play everything at a lower resolution 

What you want is something that is 4k, 120hz+ and low MS response time with GSYNC, the best I can see for this would be from ASUS but it's 27", the 32" models are still 60hz and I wouldn't buy a 60hz at 4k resolution, it's going to look muddled.

4k is limited to 60hz, no current cable can push it faster.

I am not that concerned about gaming at the moment. I am concerned that anything right now is not worth the purchase.

How far away are we from 4K 120hz or higher IPS 28" or larger screens? The cable isn't the issue? I thought it is simply the screens.. I don't want to buy a 4K screen, and then a month later there is a 2 times better screen.

I was looking at Acer B326HK and a similar BenQ model. Seem nice, small enough bezel, 4K 60hz at 32". I just don't know if its worth it right now.

Also the hard part is that I have three 2560x1440 27" monitors. Not sure if going to 32" and 4K is really an upgrade. (note that, I would eventually get more than one 4K over time)...

I am not that concerned about gaming at the moment. I am concerned that anything right now is not worth the purchase.

How far away are we from 4K 120hz or higher IPS 28" or larger screens? The cable isn't the issue? I thought it is simply the screens.. I don't want to buy a 4K screen, and then a month later there is a 2 times better screen.

I was looking at Acer B326HK and a similar BenQ model. Seem nice, small enough bezel, 4K 60hz at 32". I just don't know if its worth it right now.

Also the hard part is that I have three 2560x1440 27" monitors. Not sure if going to 32" and 4K is really an upgrade. (note that, I would eventually get more than one 4K over time)...

So you'd be going from 3 1440p monitors to one 4k? I'd stay with 1440p until you could replace all 3 with 4k monitors.

I would value high refresh rate and adaptive refresh rate (G-Sync, Freesync) way above improving resolution; this is what makes games feel smooth and responsive. High DPI also comes with its limits in Windows as not everything scales very well. There are some very good 1440p monitors now but nothing that comes close in 4K. It's pretty clear that massive improvements can and will be made for 4K monitors in the next 2-3 years.

Well there is only one way to find out what I want lol

I purchased that Wasabi Mango 42" 4K 60hz screen. Which is very TV like which I don't like, but it does mostly appear to be a monitor, so we will see. It has a pretty good return option and such. So I guess I will see what happens and if I like it. 

Cheap enough to not worry as much about the future as well.

I've certainly never heard of a Wasabi tv/monitor. I wish you luck w/ a 42" monitor. i have a 39" Seiki 4k TV for my desktop monitor, and it's waaaay too big.

let us know your thoughts on it, and pics. (Y)

This has been an interesting read. I've been looking into 4K monitors for my new setup. So far I've settled on 27"/28" as the maximum, otherwise they almost double in price.

Monitor

I haven't decided if I'll bump from 2x SLI'd 970s or rock a 980. My other issue is, I want multiple monitors, by multiple I mean up to 8..

Got the monitor but can't do any real testing till the end of the month. So I will update then.

And that review is basically the only real one available in english lol

• 2 weeks later...

I am loving the 42" 4K screen.

I thought I would have had regrets getting rid of triple 27" 1440P for one larger screen, but I haven't. Yes, I miss being able to put an entire app/site on its own screen, but with 4K it can be done well enough with its resolution. 

I don't really review things, so not sure what to say about it. It looks great, even 1080P from Plex seems to look great on this. As for gaming, going from 27" 1440P to 42" 4K is mind blowing. Gaming is a totally different experience now.

There are some issues with the monitor. I see ghosting/artifacts a bit. I mean seeing a window or app that was open on a dark screen after the window is not there anymore. There was a bit of flickering as well. I am about to switch the DP cable provided for a highly rated one I just purchased. The guys over at overclock said this could fix that. Neither of them are really bothering me anyways weirdly enough.

If you got any questions about this monitor feel free to ask. And my signature is now outdated, I am running things on a 980Ti videocard.