Best Real World Games?

I've just finished playing Life is Strange Episode 4.

I appreciate the more realistic feel of the world, not graphically, but when you're not zipping back and forward through time, it feels like the game is rooted in reality.

I'm looking for more games like this, the genre doesn't matter as much as the "normalness". Obviously it'd be nice if it were a good game but I think that goes without saying :p

Sorry, I feel like I should elabourate on what I meant as realistic :D

Mundane, normal, plain, ordinary. 

Just the environments, not necessarily the story.

Spec ops is a fine game but it's a war game which I wouldn't describe as being any these attributes. To the moon looks interesting, and I'll definitely play it but it has a more fantasy feel than a real world feel.

well then, i cannot think of anything, since most video games are designed to take you out of the mundane :)

however check out "gone home", and "the vanishing of ethan carter"

i have not played the game with the same feel as life is strange.    it is an interesting game to say the least, as you can walk around or ride the bus and feel like you are there in this small town.

Edited by e.worm jimmmy

Anything by The Chinese Room.

Good suggestion, I've already played both their PC titles, quite disappointed to see that "Everyone's Gone to the Rapture" is PS4 only because that's bang on the mark for what I was talking about!

• 2 weeks later...

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

I watched the trailer to Life is Strange, and I want to play it. Then I forgot about this topic and got distracted for an hour. Came back and the answer was obvious. The Life is Strange trailer appears to show a somewhat ordinary life interrupted by strange events. Zak, while about 30 years old now, is pretty simple. It's a classic LucasArts point and click adventure — honestly, what all these episodic storytelling games seem to be based on, only it isn't segmented. It's about a tabloid reporter who wants to get serious and write a novel, but his boss keeps sending him on stupid assignments. Until one day, he's sent to Seattle to follow up on a two-headed squirrel. It's real, but that's only the beginning of a strange story, that mashed up tabloid conspiracies 15 years before Deus Ex. Turns out aliens are taking over phone companies to stupefy the world via phone signals. And this is almost 20 years before cell phones started going mainstream, almost 25 years before the advent of smartphones.

The game is old as dirt, but it's on GOG. The game uses game manual DRM, so there's a code book to either print out or throw on a tablet. Getting a code wrong gets you thrown in jail and lectured, in-game, about software piracy. Getting a code wrong a second time is one of the few ways to lose the game (jailed for life). Some versions of the game removed this entirely, but I think GOG just reprinted the code book as a PDF (I owned the original — the original code book was black on maroon. Supposedly impossible to photocopy, but a giant PITA to play the game at night and read the code book by the light of the monitor).

Some of the puzzles are not straightforward, but Google, GameFAQs, and YouTube are a click away. I played it when I was new — I was 9. My father and his best friend were huge fans and met at least once a week to discuss their progress. I cracked a few puzzles, and was added to their group. I don't think I would have finished the game without the two of them. If you know exactly what you're doing, you can probably speed run it in an hour or so. But make no mistake, if you don't, you'll be at it for weeks. Like, you may go to Peru and navigate the jungle maze (the mazes are a real SOB) and then come to a dead end. Using the "What is" command, you may realize that the object before you is a bird feeder. But what to use there? Bird feed does not exist in the game. What you need is made through a very inconspicuous use of something you have to try and try and try again to get. You really have to try everything, and try many things several times. And there are little things, like paying your phone bill, or not because it doesn't matter, or disguise yourself as the aliens and try to pay it and get told, "No charge for brothers!" But it doesn't matter because eventually you'll be able to get infinite money by cheesing the lottery (the next day's winning numbers are posted somewhere). Suffice it to say, after that point, money doesn't matter. A few items are redundant, but buy everything and take anything not nailed down, and if you can use the wire cutters to cut something down, do it, you don't have an encumbrance limit.

Oh yeah. Huge fan. ;)