How to use my TIN

Hi all,

I currently have a X99 Mobo with an I7 5820K with 16GB of RAM, running Windows 10. Server (no OS) with 32gb of RAM, E3-1245V3 with 3 SSDs. And finally a HP Gen 8 Microserver with a HP NC360T and 8GB of RAM running PFSENSE.

I have no clue about ESXI and am wanting to dust off my active directory skills and also brush up on my networking skills, 17 years on! Also splunk and IIB as well.

So ideally want ESXI on the server running primary Linux and possibly a LAMP stack to host the better half's' website. Use RAM that is left over for Server 2012 AD and possibly SQL?

Desktop machine run other Microsoft services under Hyper-V and possible a Mint Linux under dual boot.

HP Gen 8 leave as PFSENSE and add packages such as snort. Alternative is to virtualise PF and use the HP as a dedicated ESXI running LAMP and make the main server running Windows Server 2012, keeping my desktop free for the 3D printer by better half needs to use.

Curious to know how you split your tin across virtual and desktop.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Never heard of TIN being used lol

I would put ESXi on the Gen8

This is what i do, i have a vm for my plex and media etc, a vm for a small webserver and a vm for pfsense

It works really well

• 3 weeks later...