Dead SSD?

My PC has a 4 year old OCZ SSD. That computer is running 24/7 on Windows 7. Today, the computer crashed while I was away and it won't boot anymore. I get an error while booting "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.". I looked at what drives are detected and it seems that only my DVD drive is detected. The computer doesn't see the SSD drive in BIOS. I switched the cables (power & SATA) from the DVD drive to the SSD and it still fails.

I can assume that my SSD is simply dead?

I always wondered if it is possible to pull info from a dead SSD. Anyone know how it is done?

Yes it is possible but you will more then likely need to go to a recovery place. There are some good you-tube videos on the stuff they do. Easier and cheaper to have a backup.

I moved the drive in another PC and can't see it in UEFI and can't see it in Windows. It's dead. I haven't lost that much data but it still sucks.

That's the disadvantages with SSDs, they die more often without warning and are harder to recover data from then HDDs. I prefer keeping one's data on a HDD (with a backup) with the OS and programs on a SSD.

Same thing happened to my first SSD I bought which was OCZ Vertex Plus as well. It just simply died one day.

My OCZ Vertex 30GB died about a year ago.

You want to uses your SSD for the OS, mate...

It's possible that your CMOS battery died.

probably not, as the motherboard boots - just doesnt find the SSD.

fwiw, OP, i had this same issue many times on my Samsung SSD last year. Basically i'd just have to unplug, replug, and reboot multiple times until the SSD was found again. idk if it was a BIOS issue or an SSD issue. trial and error, sadly.

You should be able to open a support incident with OCZ - I think they have a 5 year support policy. They'll send you a tool to flash the firmware and it may come back to life. However, this will require a second machine that you can plug your dead SSD into. I ran into this an OCZ vertex a year ago.