How legal actually is it?

Ok then, So how Legal is it now that say the Ashley Madison Data is all over the web, There are two very commonly posts torrents of it. How legal is it to download it and have a look through for curiosity? It would be good to see if anyone I know was on it. I am in the UK by the way. 

If you are that worry, just change the password and/or email address on there if you have signed up for it.   If you have not signed up on that site, then move on.. you have nothing to worry about.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!. . .very good question, albeit it would be interesting information, but at my age (very old) I doubt there is any one on the list that I know. . .:)

Seriously? Life is so short and THIS is what you want to spend some of it on? Pretty sad, man. I couldn't care less about the losers who use A.M.

Great Blackmail Opportunity..... Joke!! 

Seriously? Life is so short and THIS is what you want to spend some of it on? Pretty sad, man. I couldn't care less about the losers who use A.M.

And yet you took the time to post.  Well done you!

One of those rare issues where both sides are pretty repulsive. I have no interest in touching this with a 10 foot stick, but I'd wager it is a matter of hours before someone dumps it to a SQL database and makes it searchable from a website, if you are truly curious.

• Like 2

One of those rare issues where both sides are pretty repulsive. I have no interest in touching this with a 10 foot stick, but I'd wager it is a matter of hours before someone dumps it to a SQL database and makes it searchable from a website, if you are truly curious.

Hmm.. That's a good idea. :D

completely illegal.   but i am sure it won't stop lots of people.

also, between the hackers and the company looking for potential lawsuit for customers who had data leaked, i don't think they would go after people who download it once.

but as Zagadka said,  i bet it is just a matter of time, before someone will publish it in an online database (on a website full of spyware and ads though, so they can cash in on it)

Still not 100% sure what the site is about?  It seems to be a dating site that centres more on the sexual side of things than the romantic?

it is a website for people who are married to have an affair.     i assume the term affair means more romatic, then straight up hooking up for sex, but also means that they expect a short term fling.

• Like 1

it is a website for people who are married to have an affair.     i assume the term affair means more romatic, then straight up hooking up for sex, but also means that they expect a short term fling.

Aaaaah, hence the disgust.  Otherwise I see nothing wrong with hookup sites (for single people)

Aaaaah, hence the disgust.  Otherwise I see nothing wrong with hookup sites (for single people)

There is a slight twist to the story also, in that it's reported that the site is pretty much a fraud and that a vast majority of the female profiles on the website are actually fake. I'm sure I saw some statistic that if you remove the fake profiles, 90% of its members are all male.

I can't see that being completely true though as surely it wouldn't take you long to work out your not getting anywhere and cancel your sub so I suspect it's not as clear cut as it's being reported.

There is a slight twist to the story also, in that it's reported that the site is pretty much a fraud and that a vast majority of the female profiles on the website are actually fake. I'm sure I saw some statistic that if you remove the fake profiles, 90% of its members are all male.

I can't see that being completely true though as surely it wouldn't take you long to work out your not getting anywhere and cancel your sub so I suspect it's not as clear cut as it's being reported.

Yeah I suspect ALOT are fake, It doesn't stop people trying and giving up and new people joining and giving up and again and again. How many take the initial payment and give up? You have a (reasonably) good business model.

Yeah I suspect ALOT are fake, It doesn't stop people trying and giving up and new people joining and giving up and again and again. How many take the initial payment and give up? You have a (reasonably) good business model.

It sounds like a very short term business model, you're either going to run out of new customers or your reputation is going to plummet.

Interesting topic though, I don't have the time, patience or want to even bother looking but I don't know how legal it is but if unsure I'd air on the side of caution and give it a miss.

As someone who has used online dating sites ranging from the "looking for a relationship" through to "looking to hookup now" (and I have no shame in that so spare me the comments), I would suggest that 90% is maybe a little high, but "fake profiles" are part of the equation for all of them.

As someone who has used online dating sites ranging from the "looking for a relationship" through to "looking to hookup now" (and I have no shame in that so spare me the comments), I would suggest that 90% is maybe a little high, but "fake profiles" are part of the equation for all of them.

oh I don't doubt that they are, it's just this is supposed to have a ridiculously high amount of fake profiles. However I just re-read one article it was 90-95% are male so I got my statistics wrong.

Who am I to judge, you live your life however you want.

Coming from someone who met his GF (been together 10+ years, got a Mortgage and a kid) on an on-line chartroom (wasn't looking but things just happen), I'm not exactly one to judge others on what they do on-line :)

• Like 1

oh I don't doubt that they are, it's just this is supposed to have a ridiculously high amount of fake profiles. However I just re-read one article it was 90-95% are male so I got my statistics wrong.

Who am I to judge, you live your life however you want.

Coming from someone who met his GF (been together 10+ years, got a Mortgage and a kid) on an on-line chartroom (wasn't looking but things just happen), I'm not exactly one to judge others on what they do on-line :)

I don't see anything wrong with meeting someone online. The Internet allows us to connect with people we wouldn't normally come across in our day to day lives. It bothers me when people think online dating, for example, is no place to meet a long-term partner. It's the 21st century, right? We have the technology to connect with people in ways that weren't even imagined decades ago.

Anyway, as for the legality of seeking out the leaked content.. I'd say it's illegal but that's just me.

• Like 2

I would get it to make sure someone didn't create an account there under your name and ruin your relationship.. a friend downloaded the data and there was an account made under her name and she was furious. Also someone made account for her firends as well. ######!!!!!!! I am so glad the data was leaked and these cheating scumbags are out in the open now and they will get what's comin to them. Sick website and sick people!!!!