Speed test your connection

Fiber over WiFi

post-59115-0-39524400-1430596478.png

Wired, just a heat check. 400/200 is enough, losing all wires.

post-59115-0-80597100-1431272986.png

• 4 weeks later...

4403414788.png

Switched from BT back to Virgin Media a couple of weeks ago; there was a weird issue at first (some devices getting a 192.168.1.x IP address instead of 192.168.0.x, so they didn't have internet without a static IP assigned), but it's sorted itself out now and it's all going swimmingly. Fingers crossed they become a bit less stingy on the upload speed in the near-future. :p

• 3 weeks later...

random question from a non tech guy like me. If I do a speed test via a vpn network, will the result be that of my local isp or the vpn server?

VPN, because it's their network where you come out onto the Internet.

• 4 weeks later...

Comcast just updated their speeds in Chicagoland for blast users -- was getting 58-60 down, 11-12 up.. Now

4512361411.png

If it's that bad, it'll probably need a resegment, which means waiting for council planning permission (hence the long wait).

They usually won't make you pay for broadband until it's fixed. 

Contacted the CEO's office a few weeks ago and got a reduction on the price until October (when they should be sorting the problem).  Yesterday the router reset itself for the 2nd time in the last couple of weeks - even resetting the password and forgetting the wireless we have set up.  But today, about 2 hours ago the speed was back up to normal - 40+, but right now it is down to 5-6.  Better than it has been for the past few months, but not what i'm paying for.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine- Surface Pro 3 Wifi AC on new Linksys EA6900 router

1008198364.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Comcast is doing 180Mbps down and 12Mbps up. I can't for the life of me understand why such a discrepancy between up and down. But I remember ten years ago a 1.5Mbps/768Kbps was a baller status speed, so we've definitely progressed.