Xbox One Mini without Blu-Ray rumoured

If I was back in the uk with decent internet, I'd have one of these as all my games are digital. Might investigate this if true 

To me the Blu-ray drive is essential as it means I can buy cheap games.

Yep, just checked

Evolve digital download £34.99 - https://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-One/Games/Evolve/35299174-27da-43ba-a210-737fa4325267

Evolve Bluray £16.00 (free delivery) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Take-2-5026555269902-Evolve-Xbox/dp/B00GJL7UES/ref=sr_1_1_twi_gam_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440415865&sr=8-1&keywords=evolve+xbox+one

Any money saved by getting a console without a drive, is wiped out after a few game purchases.

Sounds great for people who buy games digital only and want something with a smaller footprint :yes: While I am embracing digital downloads alot more these days, I still prefer having the option of a BD drive. Not just for cheaper games but also to use it as a BD/DVD player :happy:

• Like 2

Yep, just checked

Evolve digital download £34.99 - https://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-One/Games/Evolve/35299174-27da-43ba-a210-737fa4325267

Evolve Bluray £16.00 (free delivery) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Take-2-5026555269902-Evolve-Xbox/dp/B00GJL7UES/ref=sr_1_1_twi_gam_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440415865&sr=8-1&keywords=evolve+xbox+one

Any money saved by getting a console without a drive, is wiped out after a few game purchases.

Indeed, sometimes the contrast can be a lot greater too, for example Battlefield Hardline Standard Edition

£24 Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-M1REFPELE11243-Battlefield-Hardline/dp/B00KMV1T20/
£55 Digital Download - https://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-One/Bundle/Battlefield-Hardline-Standard-Edition/7a503e37-4404-47b4-9834-fb8c22763ba0

£31 cheaper to purchase a physical copy...

• Like 1

£31 cheaper to purchase a physical copy...

Usually only a huge thing after the games been out a while, and digital sales do come along that occasionally get the prices similar (or sometimes better.)

I prefer digital since I often buy at launch, but I really don't get that.  (PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is $60 digitally, and I got it for $20 on Amazon recently on the same note.)

Usually only a huge thing after the games been out a while, and digital sales do come along that occasionally get the prices similar (or sometimes better.)

I prefer digital since I often buy at launch, but I really don't get that.  (PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is $60 digitally, and I got it for $20 on Amazon recently on the same note.)

Historically for digital games in the UK often the US price is taken and simply changed from $60 to £60 where as the retail price is often more what it should be if you simply take the $USD price, convert to £GBP and add VAT.

Even for an unreleased game like Black Ops 3 the digital price is £55: https://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-One/Bundle/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-3/d2869af6-e6a2-418f-be8a-34c7ac95d825
Where as the physical price is £44: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox/dp/B00W1HIVHY/

That's already an £11 ($17) price difference, plus usually for major games you will always be able to get an even better price on a physical copy as various stores compete to get pre-orders or launch week sales. For previous major games i've often saved £20 buying the physical copy vs the digital download.

Even when Microsoft do 40 / 50% digital sales which make the Neowin front page, the game is usually still more than the physical copy has been for the last few months.

I certainly understand why people prefer digital games, however for me personally i'm careful with money so it's not worth the premium to me.

• Like 1

I own an XB1 so this means very little to me, however until the price point on digital content for game becomes more competitive I don't see this being a thing. Unless I'm the only one who is happy to save them-self £10+ for the effort of having to get off my rear and change the disk?

You have to consider the fact that digital titles are not value for money compared to physical release. The Evolve example above and the price gouging on digital stores v physical for new releases is just one example of why digital has a long way to go to compare with physical.

I own an XB1 so this means very little to me, however until the price point on digital content for game becomes more competitive I don't see this being a thing. Unless I'm the only one who is happy to save them-self £10+ for the effort of having to get off my rear and change the disk?

You can get digital games pretty cheap if you just wait. They usually end up as a Gold deal of the week, or in one of their ultimate sales. I mean just a couple weeks ago I picked up Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs, and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris for $38 in a digital summer sale. The first two alone still retail for a low of $31 on Amazon for physical copies so I think digital won out there or at least broke even. With a backlog of free games, waiting is no longer an issue. And for the games I really want, yes the convenience is worth the cost. 

Also presumably you'd be able to stream from your main console to the mini if you have both, which would give a big advantage to digital games. 

Digital prices are horrendous in the UK compared to physical (for console titles).

I wouldn't mind having a Blu-Ray less X1. I don't even use it unless I need to install/play games. I'd much rather use physical media (games on a flash drive) or digital media. I don't mind the large footprint of the X1, but the less space it takes up in my media cabinet, the better! I just hope it stays efficient and doesn't produce much heat/noise due to it shrinking.  

You can get digital games pretty cheap if you just wait. They usually end up as a Gold deal of the week, or in one of their ultimate sales. I mean just a couple weeks ago I picked up Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs, and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris for $38 in a digital summer sale. The first two alone still retail for a low of $31 on Amazon for physical copies so I think digital won out there or at least broke even. With a backlog of free games, waiting is no longer an issue. And for the games I really want, yes the convenience is worth the cost. 

Also presumably you'd be able to stream from your main console to the mini if you have both, which would give a big advantage to digital games. 

Of course you can, but how long do you have to wait? You're then putting your purchases down to chance that the game you want might come in on sale one week/month. There's a difference between picking up cheap games digitally, and picking up the games I want digitally cheaply. 

Unfortunately for me, I don't get every game I want due to cost, the next 6 months are going to be pretty tough as I have to choose out of a lot of good titles or expansions what I really want and what will give me the most bang for my buck. For example, I know a lot of people who went and pre-ordered Destiny and paid £45 ($71 assuming you using $ is USD above), 2 days after release I managed to buy it for £35 ($55) whereas digitally the game was £55 ($86). Now because I was frugal with my money I managed to save £10 over friends or £20 if I was to buy digitally. 

Can you honestly say that £20 ($31) is worth not having to get up and change a disk? Keeping in mind that is almost the price of the 4 games you bought above? If you can, you have too much disposable income and you should give me some :)

Of course you can, but how long do you have to wait? You're then putting your purchases down to chance that the game you want might come in on sale one week/month. There's a difference between picking up cheap games digitally, and picking up the games I want digitally cheaply. 

Unfortunately for me, I don't get every game I want due to cost, the next 6 months are going to be pretty tough as I have to choose out of a lot of good titles or expansions what I really want and what will give me the most bang for my buck. For example, I know a lot of people who went and pre-ordered Destiny and paid £45 ($71 assuming you using $ is USD above), 2 days after release I managed to buy it for £35 ($55) whereas digitally the game was £55 ($86). Now because I was frugal with my money I managed to save £10 over friends or £20 if I was to buy digitally. 

Can you honestly say that £20 ($31) is worth not having to get up and change a disk? Keeping in mind that is almost the price of the 4 games you bought above? If you can, you have too much disposable income and you should give me some :)

No but it sounds like the whole digital pricing situation is a bit different (worse) in the UK so I feel bad for you :p 

As I said before, I have no problem anymore being patient. I think Titanfall, Destiny, Sunset OD, and Halo MCC are the only games this gen I've sprung full price for so far (and I regret Destiny, and even Sunset - I enjoy it, but hadn't actually started playing until fairly recently so I could've picked it up cheaper). The rest I've gotten from GWG, Deals of the Week, or Ultimate Sales (which do happen at least twice a year, in the US anyway and tend to include fairly new games). I've got a backlog long enough to not really ever need to get a new game immediately, even if I want it. And since I'm not big on MP games that might warrant getting them while they're hot anymore, I can wait for games I want since they won't get old. So I'm not saying I'd pay $31 more to not have to get up - I'm saying I generally don't need to because of my situation :)

No but it sounds like the whole digital pricing situation is a bit different (worse) in the UK so I feel bad for you :p 

As I said before, I have no problem anymore being patient. I think Titanfall, Destiny, Sunset OD, and Halo MCC are the only games this gen I've sprung full price for so far (and I regret Destiny, and even Sunset - I enjoy it, but hadn't actually started playing until fairly recently so I could've picked it up cheaper). The rest I've gotten from GWG, Deals of the Week, or Ultimate Sales (which do happen at least twice a year, in the US anyway and tend to include fairly new games). I've got a backlog long enough to not really ever need to get a new game immediately, even if I want it. And since I'm not big on MP games that might warrant getting them while they're hot anymore, I can wait for games I want since they won't get old. So I'm not saying I'd pay $31 more to not have to get up - I'm saying I generally don't need to because of my situation :)

The way pricing usually goes is if we pay £55 for a digital game here, you guys pay $55 there. I don't think a lot of companies have figured out this whole currency exchange thing yet:p

I "paid" full price for Halo MCC however that was more because I found a £50 XB Credit code for £40 so I didn't mind :p

Yep, just checked

Unless it's used as your 2nd console in say your bedroom or office, then you're just playing the games you installed from BD on your main system that has a drive in it. It really depends on each user and what they want out of something like this.

I really can't speak for the UK obviously.  When I've seen comparisons of the US/UK/European digital marketplaces it seemed to depend on the developer and publishers regional agreements that I don't have much information about, but some games were definitely cheaper overseas.

Pricing for digital stuff herein Aus is appalling. I think it is just a 'what the maket will bear' issue.

Not to belabor the point but a good example just came up with Witcher 3, on sale for gold members for $42. Against Amazon, that's parity with used copies and cheaper than new copies if you include shipping and it's only been out for a bit over 3months. Another game I've been waiting to grab :yes:

Not to belabor the point but a good example just came up with Witcher 3, on sale for gold members for $42. Against Amazon, that's parity with used copies and cheaper than new copies if you include shipping and it's only been out for a bit over 3months. Another game I've been waiting to grab :yes:

It's hard to appreciate how good of a deal that is because prices don't always translate (much to our annoyances). So this is on sale for us for £31.49 ($48.07) which is a good reduction but I know a month or so ago I looked and I could get a physical copy for around £38. The biggest difference I see is that when I'm done, if I wanted to I could trade the game in some place for credit towards something else. Now personally I don't generally do this but when I bought the XB1 I did trade all my 360 games in (now regretting that one!) to help fund it. Digital has the negative that I can't do that, but the now potential bonus that any future consoles may continue the emulation and it's then still playable.

The benefits can be great, but I don't like the idea of being forced into only one way. Xbox Marketplace is so far uncontested, and because of that there is no real need to offer that incentive from the launch, it happens months down the line. I think from a day one release perspective, I'll find a better deal with a physical copy 99% of the time. 

• 2 weeks later...