The Ashley Madison hacked ruined people's lives.

The Ashley Madison hack is indeed ripping apart marriages.

It's exposing affairs, confirming suspicions, and keeping cheaters up at night in cold sweats.

Several people who were directly affected by the data breach of the cheating website AshleyMadison.com have reached out to CNNMoney. Their identities and details have been independently verified, but they have spoken on condition of anonymity.

The mistress

"Ana" is a highly educated business woman in her 40s who is finalizing a divorce with her husband.

She stayed up late Thursday rapidly texting eight married men with whom she had relationships after finding them on Ashley Madison.

She said the men are all worried their wives will use search tools now available online to find the email addresses they used to sign up for the cheating site.

Meanwhile, Ana is concerned about her job in finance. Her clients are couples and small businesses. These are highly personal relationships. If they plug in her email address into any of the available Ashley Madison searches, she'll be exposed. And maybe even fired.

"I would lose business, contracts... I'm not even sure if my contract with my employer has a morality clause," she told CNNMoney on Friday. "It could be very damaging."

Ana claims to have had more than 50 encounters -- everything ranging from "a benign flirtatious lunch" to "three days in a hotel room and ordering room service." To her, Ashley Madison was a playground.

"Honey, I devoured them," she said.

Source and more: http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/21/technology/ashley-madison-ruined-lives/index.html

Their lives were already ruined, now they've been caught and probably feel like #### like they should.

Pretty much. Their lives were already ruin.

This just add more reasons to divorce.

-----------------------------------------

I do wonder how the spouse that got cheated on feels.

I am not even married, but if I find out that my girlfriend (whom I love so much) cheated on me, I would be very very hurt.

Why wouldn't they create a separate email address? I don't understand why you'd sign up for something like this using credentials that your partner knows, especially in this era of data theft. Not particularly bright, are they?

"Ana" is a highly educated business woman in her 40s who is finalizing a divorce with her husband.

Further proof that education and intelligence are mutually exclusive.

• Like 2

Wrong - it's basically that *justice* is in the eye of the beholder.  If it's someone else that is the victim, you enjoy watching them go "splat" - if it's YOU, you want the hacker's head.  (How many of you that are vicariously enjoying this are also followers of TMZ or read tabloids?)  It's why TMZ has the reputation of "tabloid TV".  I'm NOT defending the cheaters - however, those that hacked the site are no better.

Wrong - it's basically that *justice* is in the eye of the beholder.  If it's someone else that is the victim, you enjoy watching them go "splat" - if it's YOU, you want the hacker's head.  (How many of you that are vicariously enjoying this are also followers of TMZ or read tabloids?)  It's why TMZ has the reputation of "tabloid TV".  I'm NOT defending the cheaters - however, those that hacked the site are no better.

Couldn't agree more PGH, well said.

Their lives were already ruined, now they've been caught and probably feel like #### like they should.

And I DO NOT feel sorry for those idiots what so ever either!

Meh if you were in to that sort of thing any way, you'd think you'd have pre-checked your works contract to see if there was a morality clause, and surely you'd have taken stock on how it may affect your life if you were found out.

It seems to me that not only were those people lying cheaters, but many of them lacked the intelligence not to put their entire lives outcome in the hands of a company that ran a website that specialized in lying :/

It amazes me just how many people, when doing something they know could get them in trouble if caught, use their REAL information to do it. Don't understand mental gymnastics at play here. :no:

Anyone on there caught by their wives or husbands is fair enough, they cheated on them and they can face the music.

But to lose a job over it is way too far, why should your work dictate what you can and can't do in your love life? It's got nothing to do with them. Pretty sure there would be a huge uproar if there were companies that fired anyone that was gay and had relationships with the same sex - this is no different, leave their job out of it.

• Like 3

Why are these idiots using their personal email address for this service anyway? If they want to remain someone under the radar, just make another email account solely for the purpose of being a scumbag

Morons

Zero sympathy for anyone caught on there. 

If you don't want to be caught, leave your partner and don't cheat 

Pretty much. Their lives were already ruin.

This just add more reasons to divorce.

-----------------------------------------

I do wonder how the spouse that got cheated on feels.

I am not even married, but if I find out that my girlfriend (whom I love so much) cheated on me, I would be very very hurt.

The hack ruined no one. Them joining the site is what ruined them, idiots.

And I DO NOT feel sorry for those idiots what so ever either!

What about couples that used the website? What about people that made accounts out of curiosity? I'm all for exposing cheaters but posting people's personal information on the Internet isn't the right way to go about it because not everyone involved is "guilty". It's easy to have the "They deserved it because they're cheaters." mentality but it's more than that. Innocent people have been affected by this and that isn't fair.

• Like 3

Anyone on there caught by their wives or husbands is fair enough, they cheated on them and they can face the music.

But to lose a job over it is way too far, why should your work dictate what you can and can't do in your love life? It's got nothing to do with them. Pretty sure there would be a huge uproar if there were companies that fired anyone that was gay and had relationships with the same sex - this is no different, leave their job out of it.

If you accept an employment contract containing a morality clause, you have no one to blame but yourself. That being said, if she gets fired and there was no such clause then she has grounds to sue. In any event, her problems were brought on herself and I have zero sympathy.

If you accept an employment contract containing a morality clause, you have no one to blame but yourself. That being said, if she gets fired and there was no such clause then she has grounds to sue. In any event, her problems were brought on herself and I have zero sympathy.

Is this morality clause an american thing because I've never seen such a thing in any UK contracts I've been involved in?

No sympathy here either, and it is indeed further proof that education and common sense are often inversely proportional.  Not always, but often enough to be entertaining.

Some of these folks are also in big legal trouble as they used government computers to access the site. Offenders in the White House, Congress, the Military and other federal agencies, as well as state and local level employees and officials. Security clearances are at risk, and jail time is very possible.

Time to kick back and keep the popcorn maker at the ready.

No sympathy here either, and it is indeed further proof that education and common sense are often inversely proportional.  Not always, but often enough to be entertaining.

Some of these folks are also in big legal trouble as they used government computers to access the site. Offenders in the White House, Congress, the Military and other federal agencies, as well as state and local level employees and officials.

Time to kick back and keep the popcorn maker at the ready.

I've always believed that this can be boiled down to 

Intelligence

Common Sense

Morality (From a Consequentialism viewpoint)

We can have a massive amount of 1 to all three of these, and lack in 1 to all three of the categories.

And any mix of the first two absent the third causes all manner of sociopathy. Unfortunately, many humans have morals no better than the potty training of a bovine.

...and here is the problem.  Private lives being thrust out into the public eye.  No one has any right to judge what these people did aside from their family and other parties directly involved.  

Further proof that education and intelligence are mutually exclusive.

She was "finalizing" a divorce...and you know that can take a while.  Is it cheating if you and your spouse decide that it is over with no chance of reconciling?  Nope...not in opinion.  But yea...your private life warrants possibly getting fired from your job.  /sarcasm

Anyway, this will become an "all you can eat" buffet for the news outlet.  Shame really.

• Like 2

I'm joining the no sympathy crowd, it's way too easy to have joined the site with an alternate email and a fake name, yet many so called smart people did the opposite

Then there's what the site was for

What about couples that used the website? What about people that made accounts out of curiosity? I'm all for exposing cheaters but posting people's personal information on the Internet isn't the right way to go about it because not everyone involved is "guilty". It's easy to have the "They deserved it because they're cheaters." mentality but it's more than that. Innocent people have been affected by this and that isn't fair.

...and here is the problem.  Private lives being thrust out into the public eye.  No one has any right to judge what these people did aside from their family and other parties directly involved.  

She was "finalizing" a divorce...and you know that can take a while.  Is it cheating if you and your spouse decide that it is over with no chance of reconciling?  Nope...not in opinion.  But yea...your private life warrants possibly getting fired from your job.  /sarcasm

Anyway, this will become an "all you can eat" buffet for the news outlet.  Shame really.

Being a "couple" or finalizing a divorce is totally irrelevant! The site is 99% made up of people who are cheaters. Why would "couples" and people finalizing a divorce need to be looking for people cheating on their partner? There are a number of mainstream dating sites you can join and many don't even require a credit card.

Saying that... Anyone using their personal email was really stupid! I don't feel sorry for the people who had their information exposed and hopefully the criminals who exposed it are caught.

Edited by oldtimefighter

Being a "couple" or finalizing a divorce is totally irrelevant! The site is 99% made up of people who are cheaters. Why would "couples" and people finalizing a divorce need to be looking for people looking to cheat on their partner? There are a number of mainstream dating sites you can join and many don't even require a credit card.

Saying that... Anyone using their personal email was really stupid! I don't feel sorry for the people who had their information exposed and hopefully the criminals who exposed it are caught.

Who cares?  Also, being a couple(s) and finalizing divorce(s) could be relevant.  No one can look at the list and completely understand the reasoning ... yet in eyes of the internet they are all guilty of being "cheaters".  

How does what they do in their private lives affect you in anyway shape or form?

• Like 1