Visual Studio controls look retro on Windows 10?

Question

I installed Windows 10 at home, and I noticed that controls in Visual Studio now look positively Windows 2000-era:

VS2015Controls.thumb.png.3cabf5e48739fb0

Some controls like the OK and Cancel buttons, or the scroll bars, are styled properly, but most are not: look at the other buttons, or text input fields, or checkboxes on this dialog. Same behavior in VS2013 and 2015, this is all over the place. Does anyone have the same problem?

15 answers to this question

Ah I think I figured it out. If I use the default Windows theme this problem goes away, but I was using a modified theme as described here to get colored title bars because I hate the default white ones. Seems like it's one or the other?

Ah I think I figured it out. If I use the default Windows theme this problem goes away, but I was using a modified theme as described here to get colored title bars because I hate the default white ones. Seems like it's one or the other?

I installed it too and mine looks OK.

What version of VS is that?

Looks like 2013 to me, however I'm not 100% sure.

Ah, I just noticed the original post said 2013 and 2015.

I used a theme and ux theme service to avoid the issue.

Ah, I just noticed the original post said 2013 and 2015.

I used a theme and ux theme service to avoid the issue.

Frankly, the title bar being white doesn't bother me, it's more of the code background. I've gotta have a contrasting background to it.

Frankly, the title bar being white doesn't bother me, it's more of the code background. I've gotta have a contrasting background to it.

VS has a dark mode.

You should give this a try: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1269016-colored-title-bar-theme-for-windows-10/

Thanks, reading that thread it looks like the feature will make it natively to Windows sooner or later so I think I'll just endure white titlebars for the moment. Really not keen on installing things that modify system files or use kernel drivers to hack the OS, however "safe" it may be.

Andre, I think Windows 10 has an option to use the theme colour as the title at colour.

Andre, I think Windows 10 has an option to use the theme colour as the title at colour.

it does NOW. that's a new feature in the Fall Update that just came out