XP to 10 success

Started off with XP Tablet edition on a Sony Vaio. Upgraded to Vista. Later to 7 Pro and later on to 8.1 Pro.  Yesterday finished the upgrade to 10 Pro. Kept programs and settings for each upgrade. 

It is my daughter's computer and in between each upgrade I religiously fixed any error or issue to where it ran great. When upgrading to 8.1 there was a problem with CPU support. I just removed her hard drive and installed in in a new machine. It was going from one intel mobo to another so it transferred to the new hardware just fine. It reactivated without issue to my surprise. From 8.1 to 10 was issue free.  So yes you can upgrade XP to 10 if you go the long way.  Office 2003 runs on 10 just fine also.

Next step is to wipe it and load the 64 bit Win10 on it so that it can use all 6 gigs of RAM. She want's to hold off because of some custom mods she has done to Minecraft.

You might want to get her Office 365 University edition? 2003 is not touch friendly and she will have compatibility problems with classmates on group projects in  newer file formats.

Better yet why don't you buy her a surface? Besides geekdom because we are guys and can she will get more out of a new system with EFI, loads faster, lighter, will have at least 1k aka 1080p resolution if not 2k or higher etc. Even an atom surface could leave that dinosaur in the dust. She is going to want to watch Netflix, dock it to a new monitor with 4k resolution as well and even a very expensive 2005 era system with a dedicated card can't do anything above 480p video compared to today.  But cool project neverless and a feat :-)

surprised your sony works according to posts that tell me sony driver support leaves much to be desired

You just generalized EVERY Sony model, that's a bit overboard isn't it?

well I don't know. I mean the company in general has a bad reputation right? that's what I'm looking at. I personally know of people on neowin who have said Sony has yet to provide win10 drivers for their system. They complained about the lackluster support. so based upon an actual user of a sony product, that speaks volumes. it isn't overboard I don't think. if it is, sorry to offend you.

surprised your sony works according to posts that tell me sony driver support leaves much to be desired

It was working well but it would not take the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 complaining about NX support. 

So 8.1 on was on a different machine?

I cloned the sony windows 8 hard drive to a new hard drive and installed it in a new desktop.  Windows 8 after updating drivers and activation then went on to upgrade to 8.1 due to the new CPU and mobo, later to 10.

My windows 8 was a retail copy.  

You might want to get her Office 365 University edition? 2003 is not touch friendly and she will have compatibility problems with classmates on group projects in  newer file formats.

Better yet why don't you buy her a surface? Besides geekdom because we are guys and can she will get more out of a new system with EFI, loads faster, lighter, will have at least 1k aka 1080p resolution if not 2k or higher etc. Even an atom surface could leave that dinosaur in the dust. She is going to want to watch Netflix, dock it to a new monitor with 4k resolution as well and even a very expensive 2005 era system with a dedicated card can't do anything above 480p video compared to today.  But cool project neverless and a feat :-)

Her STEM school runs O365 and provided a Lenovo laptop. She has the android versions of office on the Galaxy Tab.  

A surface is on the top of her wish list ever since she took a class at a Microsoft store. My geekdom wants one too.