Nintendo patent filing hints at a return to disc-free game consoles

Effing dumb for a console. 8GB is nothing with games the way they are today. Also making a home and portable console in one seems crazy.

The rumour, if true, is that Nintendo NX would be a home console and a new portable console that would both be able to play the same games.

So, again if true, Nintendo must find a way to make the games available to both platform in one simple way.  The SD card route seem to be logical as broadband download is not available everywhere.

On Amazon,com, I've found 32GB SD card for 6$, I'm sure Nintendo can have them for even less than that.  Yes it's more than the cost of a Bluray disc, but if Nintendo don't want any optical media, they don't have a choice.

Source : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1099932

They could go with SD card only, you can find 8GB card for less than 3$ on Amazon.com

And since there is rumour that NX could mean home and portable console, it's hard to use optical disc in a portable console!

I seriously doubt they are going to go with standard SD cards.  Nintendo doesn't even like to use standard optical discs in their consoles instead choosing to make their own proprietary formats.  This patent makes it look to me more like they are going to go back to proprietary cartridge based games instead of optical discs not adopting standard SD cards.

Also while I've heard the rumor that the NX would be both home and portable that share the same architecture that's the first I've heard of them actually playing the exact same cartridges.  Most things I've read interpreted it to mean that the NX console and the NX handheld would have like ARMv8 or x86-64 (or Power) based CPUs and/or AMD or nVidia based GPUs, etc. so the architecture was the same but the console would still run higher end games that required more memory, performance, etc. than the handheld version.  Right now the 3DS is on ARM and the Wii U is on POWER so they're on two completely different architectures.