Airshow crash kills 7 in England as plane crashes onto cars on road.

Possibly. Seems like I've been hearing about this for the last 20 years. I never paid attention before.

We also get multiple angle videos and whole galleries of images where as 20 odd years ok you got a blue pic with a black smudge on it.

Yeah, but the bigger airshows aren't on the coast so it's not possible for all to do that.

Biggest air show I attend is every morning parked on the M25 watching the lucky holiday makers go over head :p

• Like 1

I live within walking distance of the crash. Didn't see it myself but saw the mushroom cloud of black smoke seconds after it happened...

The crash was on a four lane road on the boundary of Shoreham airport where the airshow was being held. We have another airshow just down the coast at Eastbourne which is held over the sea that was on last weekend but this air show has a much larger static display and has been going for several years.

Looks like the pilot couldn't pull out up after reaching the bottom of a loop. Looked like he was aiming for the end of the runway but ran out of altitude and decided to drop it in a gap where there's a traffic light junction. If he had been going slower and the lights had been red he might have managed to hit an empty road but it didn't work out like that...  If he had kept it up just another five or ten seconds he would have crashed on the empty part of the airfield :(

Given the age of the plane it could have been a mechanical problem or just plane old pilot error misjudging his altitude? Time will tell I suppose...

Yeah, but the bigger airshows aren't on the coast so it's not possible for all to do that.

A fair few of ours are coastal based. Of course so was Shoreham so it didn't really help.

best display I've ever seen was watching harriers over the Scottish Highlands practicing bomb runs on target boats. Brilliant display, far better than any air show I've ever been too. Was a four hour walk from the road to the beach though.

I can remember walking through the Welsh valleys (high up on the hills) and below us the RAF were training the jet fighters. That was some sight, and noise.

I now live in Dublin and there isn't any of that nonsense here as they don't have an airforce to train, which is a shame. That said, I did attend Bray airshow a few weeks back and there was a Hunter there (looked exactly the same as the one that crashed yesterday) and it flew superbly well. Trying to find out if it was the same aircraft.

I can remember walking through the Welsh valleys (high up on the hills) and below us the RAF were training the jet fighters. That was some sight, and noise.

I now live in Dublin and there isn't any of that nonsense here as they don't have an airforce to train, which is a shame. That said, I did attend Bray airshow a few weeks back and there was a Hunter there (looked exactly the same as the one that crashed yesterday) and it flew superbly well. Trying to find out if it was the same aircraft.

more than likely. They tend to have a few on roster for the shows so there's every chance it was the same one.

the Mach Loop in Wales is a great place to see low level flying. In Scotland I like to view low level training at Sandwood Bay in Sutherland but that's a right mission to get too.

not sure how stunt planes are still even legal. Seems you hear crashes all the time.. just a matter of time before the crash was going to kill significant others

any plane can be a stunt plane, when the 747 was launched on it's maiden flight a pilot performed a barrel roll with one,

also as tragic as this particular crash was, it is by no means the worst airshow disaster

for the record, my thought are with the families affected by this

I live within walking distance of the crash. Didn't see it myself but saw the mushroom cloud of black smoke seconds after it happened...

The crash was on a four lane road on the boundary of Shoreham airport where the airshow was being held. We have another airshow just down the coast at Eastbourne which is held over the sea that was on last weekend but this air show has a much larger static display and has been going for several years.

Looks like the pilot couldn't pull out up after reaching the bottom of a loop. Looked like he was aiming for the end of the runway but ran out of altitude and decided to drop it in a gap where there's a traffic light junction. If he had been going slower and the lights had been red he might have managed to hit an empty road but it didn't work out like that...  If he had kept it up just another five or ten seconds he would have crashed on the empty part of the airfield :(

Given the age of the plane it could have been a mechanical problem or just plane old pilot error misjudging his altitude? Time will tell I suppose...

Agreed, I was thinking along similar lines of vehicle malfunction, I'm no expert, but I assumed at the top of the loop, the pilot would have throttled back.... But like I said, I'm not an expert in avionics
(I suppose this would qualify as armchair detecting)

you cant avoid a road?  theres no airfields around?

I'll do my best to post in a diplomatic manner

Yes, there was an airfield, but from what I saw, the jet was having difficulty during that loop, and right before the inevitable impact that caused the loss of life, you can see the pilot was trying to pull up and throttle out, and ran out of room, (some more armchair detective work incoming) I'm guessing had he been 15 or 30 more feet higher, he would have successfully avoided this tragedy.

I'll do my best to post in a diplomatic manner

Yes, there was an airfield, but from what I saw, the jet was having difficulty during that loop, and right before the inevitable impact that caused the loss of life, you can see the pilot was trying to pull up and throttle out, and ran out of room, (some more armchair detective work incoming) I'm guessing had he been 15 or 30 more feet higher, he would have successfully avoided this tragedy.

i wasn't talking about the pilot.  

i wasn't talking about the pilot.  

Well, neither was I, I was trying to respond to the 'you cant avoid a road?  theres no airfields around?' remark you posted..

I went on to try to explain what I 'thought' had happened, I'm sorry, but I don't see where the confusion is