Sony Vaio Damaged Screen and Back Cover. What do I need to replace it?

Sup people. My sister has a Sony Vaio SVE151D11L computer (In English: Core i5 2nd Gen + 4GB DDR3). The thing is, as you can see in the images, the back cover has been heavily damaged. The screen does not work and it needs to be replaced.

But before I order anything on eBay, I wanted to know what else do I need to replace in order to get it working correctly. Do I also need to order another back cover or can the currently ones be used? What about the screen hinges that are out? Do they look like they need to be replaced?

Thanks a lot in advance

DSC_1014.jpg

DSC_1009.jpg

DSC_1010.jpg

DSC_1011.jpg

DSC_1012.jpg

DSC_1013.jpg

At a bare minimum, you need new hinges and a new top cover. When hinges start to get stiff they eventually resist turning with such force that they break the metal threaded inserts free from the top cover (or just break the corners off the cover completely). The hinges are bad and there's no way to secure new ones to the broken top cover properly, so both those parts must be replaced.

I don't know what is going on with the screen itself without more information on the symptoms. In its current condition, it would be easy to pull the data cable loose and it might just need to be reseated on one side or the other. Otherwise, the screen, cable, or motherboard could be bad.

Probably best to just get a new laptop.

Hehehe. That'll be the easy route. Unfortunately she doesn't take care of some stuff. I don't see a new laptop coming anytime soon. I think she'll be using her old one which is a total crap: Acer's 11.6 - 2 GB RAM DDR2 1.3 GHz Celeron Dual Core Processor.

At a bare minimum, you need new hinges and a new top cover. When hinges start to get stiff they eventually resist turning with such force that they break the metal threaded inserts free from the top cover (or just break the corners off the cover completely). The hinges are bad and there's no way to secure new ones to the broken top cover properly, so both those parts must be replaced.

I don't know what is going on with the screen itself without more information on the symptoms. In its current condition, it would be easy to pull the data cable loose and it might just need to be reseated on one side or the other. Otherwise, the screen, cable, or motherboard could be bad.

Interesting. I haven't tried connecting the PC to a secondary monitor yet. But I remember that on previous months the screen presented vertical red and green bars and seldom stopped displaying any image.

Think it will be wise to disassemble it completely and check it out myself.

Thanks!

Hehehe. That'll be the easy route. Unfortunately she doesn't take care of some stuff. I don't see a new laptop coming anytime soon. I think she'll be using her old one which is a total crap: Acer's 11.6 - 2 GB RAM DDR2 1.3 GHz Celeron Dual Core Processor.

How old is your sister?

My 15-years old cousin knows how to take care of her things.

Her laptop that we gave her a few years ago is still in an "excellent" condition.

My (older) brother and I bought her a Surface Pro 3 last year and it still looks like she just pulled it out of the box.

Edited by illegaloperation

But I remember that on previous months the screen presented vertical red and green bars and seldom stopped displaying any image.

Vertical (or horizontal) lines or stripes on the screen are indicative of a failure with the screen itself. Specifically, either the circuit board (T-Con board) on the back of the LCD is bad or one or more flex cables that drive the actual columns of pixels has started coming loose. Either way, the best thing to do is probably to replace the LCD. Although... if the problem is one of the flex cables then you might be able to find it (by confirming the problem goes away when you push on it) and then put a piece of foam or something behind it to keep it pressed down.

How old is your sister?

My 15-years old cousin knows how to take care of her things.

Her laptop that we gave her a few years ago is still in an "excellent" condition.

My (older) brother and I bought her a Surface Pro 3 last year and it still looks like she just pulled it out of the box.

18. She's considered to be a pro destructor.

• Like 2

Do the change a laptop to a desktop remove the screen buy a cheap LCD monitor hook it to the lap top and walla you have a desktop. Less damage when they can't leave it around for some one to step on.

Do the change a laptop to a desktop remove the screen buy a cheap LCD monitor hook it to the lap top and walla you have a desktop. Less damage when they can't leave it around for some one to step on.

Hahhaa. Made my day. 

I still haven't devoted the time to tinker with the laptop yet!