2 Dead LG Monitors !

I travel with my Laptop.

While away recently I did the upgrade to Windows 10 on my Lenovo, everything went great, loving W10.

I get home and plug in to my external LG monitor, all good for a day and then monitor goes blank and I cant get it going again, wont even power on. I'm thinking no problem Ive had it for 4 years and its served me well, time for an upgrade.

I order a new LG monitor, old one was a 21 inch, new one 24 inch and it arrives via courier.

I plug it in, wow great woohoo, very happy with the whole process, 2 hours is all I got, in the middle of using it, it goes blank and refuses to power on.

I disconnect, change power outlets, do reboots, change rooms, NOTHING !

Question: Is this all a big coincidence, is there an issue with W10 killing external monitors, have I just been unlucky and my replacement should be ok ??    ANY IDEAS ???

I wouldn't have thought so, I'm thinking a coinkidink.

Seeing as that new monitor is VERY new, I'd RMA it (might have just been a bad one)
If the New replacement for the 24 inch also only gives you a couple of hours, I still wouldn't be entirely convinced w10 was the culprit, as most monitors use a separate power board to the video board

For now, I'll go with my original recommendation to RMA it, also while I'm posting, have you tried a different power cable? (might be a bad connection in the power cable)

It's a laptop right? It's extremely likely that it's WIndows 10 (and/or geforce drivers) that is killing your monitors. See here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/862417/geforce-drivers/windows-10-official-353-62-drivers-are-killing-samsung-and-lg-notebook-lcd-display-panels/1/

But yes. Seeing as the second one is brand new you should RMA it and get a new new one but don't hook it up until it's be verified that the above issue has been fixed. I haven't kept up to date with that issue so I don't know if they've fixed it yet. And it's mostly been people with Alienware computers experiencing it.

Well, I guess this is the first major windows 10 'we will force whatever driver version is on windows update to be on your pc' bug that's not just preventing you from booting but destroying hardware, courtesy of NVIDIA... Wow, that didn't take long.

• Like 1

Well, I guess this is the first major windows 10 'we will force whatever driver version is on windows update to be on your pc' bug that's not just preventing you from booting but destroying hardware, courtesy of NVIDIA... Wow, that didn't take long.

It's not just geforce though. AMD users have reported it happening to them too. I think it's more to do with Samsung and LG monitors than either video card maker.