Plasma 5.4 Is Out

KDE has announced a brand new feature release of Plasma 5 — and it’s a corker. 

Plasma 5.4.0 builds on April’s 5.3.0 milestone in a number of ways, ranging from the inherently technical, Wayland preview session, ahoy, to lavish aesthetic touches, like 1,400 brand new icons. 

%7Boption%7Dhttp://s11.postimg.org/f5ocjobpf/snapshot5.png

A handful of new components also feature in the release, including a new Plasma Widget for volume control, a monitor calibration tool and an improved user management tool.

The ‘Kicker’ application menu has been powered up to let you favourite all types of content, not just applications.

KRunner now remembers searches so that it can automatically offer suggestions based on your earlier queries as you type.

The network applet displays a graph to give you a better understanding of your network traffic. It also gains two new VPN plugins for SSH and SSTP connections.

kde-network-applet-graphs.jpg

Minor tweaks to the digital clock see it adapt better in slim panel mode, it gains ISO date support and makes it easier for you to toggle between 12 hour and 24 hour clock. Week numbers have been added to the calendar.

Application Dashboard

plasma-fullscreen-dashboard-750x468.jpg

A new full screen launcher, called ‘Application Dashboard’, is also available.

This full-screen dash offers the same features as the traditional Application Menu but with “sophisticated scaling to screen size and full spatial keyboard navigation”.

Like the Unity launch, the new Plasma Application Dashboard helps you quickly find applications, sift through files and contacts based on your previous activity.

Changes in KDE Plasma 5.4.0 at a glance

• Improved high DPI support
  • KRunner autocompletion
  • KRunner search history
  • Application Dashboard add on
  • 1,400 New icons
  • Wayland tech preview

For a full list of changes in Plasma 5.4 refer to this changelog. 

new-plasma-desktop--750x469.jpg

continue reading...

it's sadly not yet in the backports ppa but seeing all these changes i can't wait ... 

• Like 2

@Mindovermaster

there was something wrong the original topic title was: "Plasma 5.4 Is Out And It’s Packed Full Of Features"  which lead to an error ... 

also now i can't include an image link for the new icons 

snapshot5.png

Looks nice and streamlined!

Looks nice and streamlined!

If you are running Kubuntu 16.04, Plasma 5.4 will likely show up as an update (since this version is not scheduled to GM until spring of next year), and it won't hit the backports PPA until 16.04 is further along for this same version.

i just see on the application dashboard the favorites (left side) seems to show the contacts too in the same round form like on neowin and other forums. 

kubuntu 16.04 ?? i am sure you mean 15.04 ..  i can find 16.04 nowhere 

kubuntu 16.04 ?? i am sure you mean 15.04 ..  i can find 16.04 nowhere 

Isn't there a 16.04 alpha/beta?

since today there is a kubuntu 15.10 beta 1 which seems to have included these things mentioned in post 1

get it here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/wily/beta-1/

source: http://www.webupd8.org/2015/08/ubuntu-1510-wily-werewolf-beta-1.html

sorry for that short post i am in a hurry should have left this place already. 

I gave it a try with Manjaro KDE-Next, and adding it to Arch, but it crashes and hangs constantly on both. I was hoping it would really work this release but it's the same thing as 5.3, might be my laptop but I had to go back to Xfce.

I really like the look and feel but I got tired of the "Plasma has crashed" and "Krunner has crashed", and gave up.. again. C'mon KDE devs get it together!

Tried this also. Give them props for being so inventive. Excellent start and a step forward from 5.3. I also realize that it is Beta 1. It stalls and stutters quite a bit, with the applications not too well polished. There also needs to be other options on many of the menus.

Again, it is Beta 1, so I am hoping that there will be good forward movement with this. It does show promise, despite the glitches.

barney i agree it's quite inventive and the workflow will be amazing once it's stable. it's already much quicker than kde 4. from now on i think development will go fast. i remember at this time last year i gave it a try and if i compare between then and now there is a big difference. 

currently there is no switch from single to double click available in dolphin - i suspect it's a bug.

what i really love is the IM suite it's perfectly integrated and much better than what i have seen in unity or gnome. 

more progress with plasma 5.4. the KDE guys are really giving it all and i love it.

many more systray options:

So45eMl.png

new seems to be a feature called kate-sessions as well

GN6qGxR.jpg

this will be helpful for programmers i think, you can create as many sessions as you want, save them and then load them with one click (no need to browse your folders/files) 

Looks very nice imo. But that "start menu" icon is very ugly.

easy to change to an icon of your choice/taste in kde

Looks pretty nice! I still prefer GNOME 3 to a certain extent, but I'll certainly give this a try in either Kubuntu or openSUSE.

you will be impressed how quick it feels compared to kde 4.

How's the stability with these newer builds? Been sticking with 4 for a while till things stabilize, it's been a while, should have nailed most of the wonkyness down by now. Messing around with a live ISO or VM doesn't really give you a realistic idea.  Resource usage compared to 3 or 4? I know KDE's heavy compared to the others (more features, more memory, no surprise), got a couple older systems that I'd really rather not go with a lightweight on, they're not that old.  

you will be impressed how quick it feels compared to kde 4.

I never used KDE 4, so I guess that will hold true. I last used KDE during the 3.x days, found it way too bloated, and ended up on GNOME 2 (and later MATE).

• 3 weeks later...