Apple Laptop for Development

Hey Ladies & Gents,

I'm looking at purchasing a laptop for iOS Development features. However, I don't know squat about Mac. As an IT person, this is also a really good learning opportunity.

What I'm asking for is;

- Suggestions (With Links)
- Why that specific one.
- New or Used (Price isn't really an issue, I expect to pay between $500 - $1,500)

The only requirement I have is, the screens gotta be 13" or above. 11" screen is tiny as hell for me.

I have other reasons as to why I'm getting a Mac. But thanks in advance people!

It's pretty simple to choose a 13" and above laptop from Apple. If you don't mind refurbished, while saving money at the same time, check out: 

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I would purchase AppleCare with the money saved from buying refurbished. If you can wait a while longer, Apple should update their laptop lineup with the Skylake processors soon.

It's pretty simple to choose a 13" and above laptop from Apple. If you don't mind refurbished, while saving money at the same time, check out: 

I would purchase AppleCare with the money saved from buying refurbished. If you can wait a while longer, Apple should update their laptop lineup with the Skylake processors soon.

Oh, how "soon"?? I've just purchased a retina macbook pro. :/

Oh, how "soon"?? I've just purchased a retina macbook pro. :/

Apologies for the wrong choice of words. The 13-inch model received an update featuring the Force Touch trackpad back in March of this year. The 15-inch model received the same update back in May. Both are currently in mid-product cycle, and both are expected to be updated to the new Skylake processors within the next 6 months or so. However, you never know with Apple. I'd say, enjoy your new Macbook Pro. :yes:

Hmm.. I'm not opposed to refurbished, as long as it doesn't have stickers all over it, doubt it would, knowing Apple.

I don't know how Apple Care works. Haha.

Apologies for the wrong choice of words. The 13-inch model received an update featuring the Force Touch trackpad back in March of this year. The 15-inch model received the same update back in May. Both are currently in mid-product cycle, and both are expected to be updated to the new Skylake processors within the next 6 months or so. However, you never know with Apple. I'd say, enjoy your new Macbook Pro. :yes:

So, buy new or refurb'd? I'm lost @_@

Hmm.. I'm not opposed to refurbished, as long as it doesn't have stickers all over it, doubt it would, knowing Apple.
I don't know how Apple Care works. Haha.

So, buy new or refurb'd? I'm lost @_@

It depends on you. Some people might have a problem buying a refurbished laptop. Additionally, you are correct, there will not be stickers all over the laptop. You won't even be able to tell the difference between a new or refurbished one, only your bank account will take notice. There are quite a few on their website that will fit your needs. A few 2015 versions as well. I would put up a few links for ya, however, I'm away from home, and on a mobile phone. 

It depends on you. Some people might have a problem buying a refurbished laptop. Additionally, you are correct, there will not be stickers all over the laptop. You won't even be able to tell the difference between a new or refurbished one, only your bank account will take notice. There are quite a few on their website that will fit your needs. A few 2015 versions as well. I would put up a few links for ya, however, I'm away from home, and on a mobile phone. 

No worries dude! I'm doing research on it. I've built a list of things I'm buying for my schooling. I need a new Desktop, laptops, and my ESX Server. Laptop will be for when I'm at work, along with the Mac. Desktop to run all my school programs. Bachelor's in IT Security from WGU is going to be fun @_@. I'll be posting a lot here!

Well, I'm saying go to dell.com for a server to use with ESX.

You don't claim your equipment on tax? It's for school purposes, should get some money back at least. 

you can do that?! WHAT THE ****!?!!!?? I hate my tax person, Ironically, it's through my work now. FML.

I work for Intuit in the IT/DC side of things, for those that didn't know.

^ Then you can most defiantly claim your equipment purchases...they're for work!! Speak to your tax man.

you can do that?! WHAT THE ****!?!!!?? I hate my tax person, Ironically, it's through my work now. FML.
I work for Intuit in the IT/DC side of things, for those that didn't know.

Keep in mind though that Jared is in Australia where as BinaryData is in the United States so the tax code will be completely different. In the case of New Zealand, where I am, we have lower marginal tax rates but with fewer deductions.

you can not just go deducting stuff you buy on your taxes because you use it for X..  For starters you need to itemize to be able to deduct stuff even if for work.. Which I highly doubt he is doing unless he owns a home, or his own business as form of income.

you can not just go deducting stuff you buy on your taxes because you use it for X..  For starters you need to itemize to be able to deduct stuff even if for work.. Which I highly doubt he is doing unless he owns a home, or his own business as form of income.

You can tax stuff for self study purposes.

TurboTax - BinaryData's Question

Hmm... I sent an email to my POC at Western Governor's University asking for documents that state anything about this. I remember being asked if I had access to a computer, and I said yes. However, my current PC won't last much longer. It's an LGA775 CPU. It's dying hard! D:

Well the purchase needs to have happened within the taxable year lol.

You can tax stuff for self study purposes.

School supplies are deductible if its for a course.  I don't think self study counts unless in Australia.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899852-what-are-qualified-education-expenses

Generally, under the American Opportunity Credit you could count the laptop as an expense as long as the computer was needed for a course of study. Under the American Opportunity Credit there is no requirement that equipment must be purchased from the educational institution.

tax laws are different in different parts of the world yes...  In the US you can not just deduct stuff unless for starts you itemize your taxes.  To itemize you need to have enough deductions to exceed the standard deduction or it makes no sense.

I would bet a LARGE amount of money, they sure I could deduct from my gambling winnings on my taxes ;)  that BD is not itemizing his taxes to start with - so doesn't matter what he uses the computer for.

If you can wait a while longer, Apple should update their laptop lineup with the Skylake processors soon.

Since the planned usage is for development which often can take advantage of virtual machines it is nice to have lots of RAM

The main advantage I see coming out of Skylake is the increased density of DDR4 RAM which can have 16 gig on a single DIMM. So even ultralight laptops can in theory have 32 gig RAM as a possible option. We will have to see in the next couple of months how that plays out.