Slow Right click context menu on Modern Apps

This single thing is deal breaker for me.

I use a fairly beefy system. Core i7 6700K and GTX 970.

For eg. In Edge, Right click on address bar and it takes good 1-2 seconds for the menu to appear. It is so irksome.

Same happens in all Modern apps, settings. 

At this point I would say that this modern interface is big FAIL!

This problem bothers me too, it's not going to stop me using Windows 10, but it's definitely an annoyance. 

The same problem exists if you have a dual screen setup and right click an icon in the taskbar on the secondary screen, the context menu takes 2-3 seconds to appear, yet if you right click an icon in the taskbar of the primary screen it displays instantly. 

Since some places can display the menus instantly it seems to be a bug rather than Modern apps just being slow to draw the menu, but I don't understand why it hasn't been fixed yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was messing around earlier to work out what's actually causing this delay, it turns out to be the "Animate windows when minimising and maximising"  option under advanced visual effects. Disabling this makes all context menus (taskbar/modern apps) appear instantly, not sure how this didn't get fixed before RTM it's a pretty obvious/annoying bug :huh:, this setting shouldn't apply to context menu windows, just main app windows. 

I'll post a video if you guys don't believe it, but my lowly Mac Mini using Windows 10 opens context menus quickly. There is no delay like is being described.

This includes right clicks with taskbar ikcons on multiple monitors, and right clicks in Modern apps. The only exception are jumplists not on the primary monitor.

Edited by adrynalyne

I'll post a video if you guys don't believe it, but my lowly Mac Mini using Windows 10 opens context menus quickly. There is no delay like is being described.

This includes right clicks with taskbar ikcons on multiple monitors, and right clicks in Modern apps. The only exception are jumplists not on the primary monitor.

Try right clicking the address bar in Edge, does that appear instantly for you? For me it's only menus created using whatever menu API that is, the context menu in the edge viewport is fine. Any menus using the other API take 1.5s to appear on all my machines (i7 4790k, gtx 760  -  FX8350, AMD 270x  -  2015 rMBP), it doesn't sound like a lot, but in practice it makes the experience really annoying. 

I don't actually use any modern apps therefore I'm not sure how widespread it is, the only thing annoying me was the context menu delay for the taskbar on the non-primary screen, and after disabling the option I mentioned previously it doesn't happen now so I'm fine :p

Edited by ZakO

Try right clicking the address bar in Edge, does that appear instantly for you? For me it's only menus created using whatever menu API that is, the context menu in the edge viewport is fine. Any menus using the other API take 1.5s to appear on all my machines (i7 4790k, gtx 760  -  FX8350, AMD 270x  -  2015 rMBP), it doesn't sound like a lot, but in practice it makes the experience really annoying. 

I don't actually use any modern apps therefore I'm not sure how widespread it is, the only thing annoying me was the context menu delay for the taskbar on the non-primary screen, and after disabling the option I mentioned previously it doesn't happen now so I'm fine :p

Not on the URL, but right clicking everywhere else seems fine.