U.K. Cops Arrest 6 Teens Linked to Sony, Microsoft Cyber-Attacks

British law-enforcement officials have arrested six male teenagers suspected of being members of the Lizard Squad hacking crew that disabled Sony’s PlayStation Network and Microsoft’s Xbox Live last year.

The U.K.’s National Crime Agency, the equivalent to the U.S.’s Federal Bureau of Investigation, said the suspects used a tool to launch distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks to cripple online servers of “gaming companies” as well as e-retailers, a national British newspaper and a school. The NCA did not identify the targeted companies but reports said the arrests are related to several attacks on the PlayStation and Xbox networks last year. Amazon also was among the sites attacked by the group, Bloomberg reported.
The warrants executed this week included:

A 17 year-old male from Manchester had computer equipment seized and was interviewed under caution by the NCA’s National Cyber Crime Unit (NCCU) on 27 August.
A 18 year-old-male from Huddersfield arrested and bailed on 27 August by Yorkshire and Humberside police.
A 18 year-old-male from Milton Keynes interviewed under caution by the South East ROCU on 26 August.
A 18 year-old male from Manchester arrested and bailed by North West ROCU and Greater Manchester Police on 26 August.
A 16 year-old male from Northampton arrested and bailed by East Midlands ROCU on 26 August.
A 15 year-old male from Stockport arrested by the North West ROCU and Greater Manchester Police on 24 August.

Two other suspected users of Lizard Stresser were arrested earlier this year:
A 17 year-old male from Cardiff arrested and bailed by South Wales ROCU and NCCU on 16 April.
A 17 year-old male from Northolt arrested and bailed by the Metropolitan Police on 03 March.

Officers are also visiting approximately 50 addresses linked to individuals registered on the Lizard Stresser website, but who are not currently believed to have carried out attacks.

A third of the individuals identified are under the age of 20, and the activity forms part of the NCA’s wider work to address younger people at risk of entering into serious forms of cyber crime.

Source: http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/u-k-arrest-teens-sony-microsoft-xbox-hack-attacks-1201580562/

No surprise at the ages.

And the authorities will no doubt simply waggle their finger in their face, tell them they've been naughty and send them on their way.

I don't want to see them in some prison with hardened criminals, but surely a #####load of community service. Or force them to teach basic computer skills to the elderly. Now that is a damn punishment.

• Like 3

And the authorities will no doubt simply waggle their finger in their face, tell them they've been naughty and send them on their way.

I don't want to see them in some prison with hardened criminals, but surely a #####load of community service. Or force them to teach basic computer skills to the elderly. Now that is a damn punishment.

Yes that would be better punishment

if any of the networks attacked are based on US soil Id expect the Americans to be asking for deportation.

Agreed.  I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Microsoft came down hard on the group.

• Like 1

if any of the networks attacked are based on US soil Id expect the Americans to be asking for deportation.

I'm not sure if it'll go that far, if it does, then it does, but PSN and Xbox Live <namecheck> have US servers, so it's quite plausible
(I'll wager there are US members of LS)

Agreed.  I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Microsoft came down hard on the group.

I think they should, ever since the anon attack on psn, sony seems to have lost the will to moderate in the way they used to
online gaming seems to be rife with glitchers and lag switchers (although this last week was probably more due to the level 3 outages)

I'm not sure if it'll go that far, if it does, then it does, but PSN and Xbox Live <namecheck> have US servers, so it's quite plausible(I'll wager there are US members of LS)

The US Gov do have a policy of prosecuting no matter where you live and how long ago it was so they may just go through the motions to add a scare factor to the trials

The fact they all did this at age 13-14 at the time of the attack. Talk about parental failure. Bet its like those 12 yo's you see on a lot of the FPS games (like CoD). Charges must've been low or they got some money (from parents maybe) to post bail after the arrest.