re install windows 10 10240

Hi all,

I purchased a activated windows 7 laptop. I then decided to upgrade to 'RTM' release 10240. However I remained on the fast ring and was subsequently 'upgraded' to 10525 which worked perfectly well.

Remaining on the fast ring I then installed via upgrade to 10532. However this update is a big step back in stability/useability and i want to go back to 10240 release.

I downloaded 10240 windows 10 unto my usb drive to reinstall. However i had to halt the installation as it asked me for a windows 10 key. I dont have one, unless it is referring to the insider program key.

My confusion is - will this mean that i will have to purchase a windows 10 key at some point?? Or will it recognise that the underlying OS is based on the windows &?

looking forward to your advice.

whenever it asks for a key, just use the "Skip" or "Not now" options... they're usually in small print... once you sign in with your Microsoft Account, the software will activate and all is right and good in the world.

Hi all,

I purchased a activated windows 7 laptop. I then decided to upgrade to 'RTM' release 10240. However I remained on the fast ring and was subsequently 'upgraded' to 10525 which worked perfectly well.

Remaining on the fast ring I then installed via upgrade to 10532. However this update is a big step back in stability/useability and i want to go back to 10240 release.

I downloaded 10240 windows 10 unto my usb drive to reinstall. However i had to halt the installation as it asked me for a windows 10 key. I dont have one, unless it is referring to the insider program key.

My confusion is - will this mean that i will have to purchase a windows 10 key at some point?? Or will it recognise that the underlying OS is based on the windows &?

looking forward to your advice.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx