Should IT Staff be running all the same software as users?

Should IT Staff be running all the same software and OS as users?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should IT Staff be running all the same software as users?

• Yep, everything
    • Nope, doesn't matter.

meh, not really.  I have test systems I can install user software and do some testing if a user is having problems.  Most IT staff should have test systems or the ability to install the software the users use to resolve issues and to troubleshoot.  Or get together with the end user having problems and work with them on their system to resolve an issue.

meh, not really.  I have test systems I can install user software and do some testing if a user is having problems.  Most IT staff should have test systems or the ability to install the software the users use to resolve issues and to troubleshoot.  Or get together with the end user having problems and work with them on their system to resolve an issue.

Yea. Exactly. I'd rather have my system super optimized for me to be able to work the way that's comfortable to me, not running off the user's image. If I need to troubleshoot a user issue, I can do so from their machine or from a test VM or spare laptop. 

Yea. Exactly. I'd rather have my system super optimized for me to be able to work the way that's comfortable to me, not running off the user's image. If I need to troubleshoot a user issue, I can do so from their machine or from a test VM or spare laptop. 

Not only that but most of the time, you need to purchase licenses for software (unless concurrent licensing).  Just an added expense and waste of money if you only use the software if there is a problem.  Temp installing software on a test system for troubleshooting, the software is not installed long and should be removed after the issue is resolved.  So really no need to buy an additional license.

Not really.. At the same time.. Before you fully test an image for production.. I would test it on the actual hardware it's going on.. I have a small group of more tech savvy end users, I use them for testing new images, software, ect.. 

One place I was a system admin for, I actually just used Linux with a VM of Windows 7..