Windows 10 won't save the PC

Windows 10 won't save the PC.

Now before anyone freaks out, the reason for this being, PC sales have plummeted for close to 5 years every year. DO PC's last longer? or are people and corporations waiting to upgrade in longer cycles.

As soon as July, Windows 10 will finally arrive on PCs as a real, shipping product -- not a beta "technology preview" release. Microsoft is urging developers to build for it using its universal app strategy that also supports Windows Phone apps and touch-based features for Windows PCs and tablets. Microsoft also hopes Windows 10 will remove the horror that is Windows 8 from the equation, so users and companies alike start moving their PCs into the 2010s.

Read more at the link above

they're not bashing windows 10 per se. Rather they are saying its strong points, its greatness and then weaknesses. we all have strong points and weaknesses. no haters

PC does not need saving at all.  More people these days use a phone/tablet and not a full PC.  For what a basic person needs, a phone/tablet is perfect for them.  The problem is not the hardware platform, it is windows itself.  Since most people these days seems to be using tablets/phones only....Android and Apple are dominating.  MS has not been able to grab a huge chunk of the mobile market and sorry, Win8 was a big reason for this.  That may change with Win10 and WP10...but that has yet to be seen.

haters gonna hate :rolleyes:

While hatred of 8 did leave many on XP for longer that is not the whole view.

Yes business upgrade cycles are slowed. Yes people do not see the value of upgrading compared to the 90's. Yes the US still is in a depression economically as buying power and wages remaned stagnant as we make 1/2 of we did in the late 1990s if you count inflatiuon with insurance, fuel, food, student loans, housing etc. In such situations where you only make $50,000 a year you no longer can afford a new PC if your $600 rent is now $1500 a month 10 years later??!

Also a quote from Larry Winget "Your money, time, and talents always go to what is most important to you" so while a new PC with XP was sexy in 2002 a new Samsung Galaxy is now the new sexy. The pc ... that old boring thing that runs Word ... rolls eyes etc.

Windows 10 will not make it cool and that is ok. Games are on a console now and facebook and candy crush are better on a phone or tablet. The PC like the mainframe will never die to those who do boring work.

But at the end of the day if you subtract fun out of the PC ... well it is just a machine that runs Excel and Quicken. Will a new looking OS really run it differently?

Is this 4-month-old article supposed to mean something? You're trying too hard, Chris. Way too hard. If you don't like Windows 10, don't use it.

I'm using 10 now. apparently the builds that came out since RTM, have addressed the old games not playing issues. So I'm cool 

Do you ever stop with these threads? Another windows 10 bash and I knew who the OP was before I even opened it. Give it a a rest already, you dont like Windows 10, you have made that very clear in multiple threads and posts here at Neowin, why continue?

Don't take this the wrong way, but judging by your previous posts and lack of knowledge revolving Windows, I would not suggest you install the insider, aka beta aka test builds, on your machine. Things will be broken, bugs will be present and youll eventually encounter one or some which will result in you again bashing microsoft of windows 10.

The PC doesn't need saving. Steve Jobs said as early as 2001 that the PC was "dying," and it didn't happen. Tablet sales are okay, but nothing remarkable. Every time people talk about the "death" of the PC, they've been proven wrong. The keyboard and mouse setup isn't going anywhere.

• Like 1

I'm using 10 now. apparently the builds that came out since RTM, have addressed the old games not playing issues. So I'm cool 

Then why do you continue to post Windows 10 bashing threads?

Clearly, the one thing you are not, is cool.

• Like 4

The Death of the PC and the Year of Linux... been, what, over a decade of that every year?

It might be a bit true in that mobile devices are taking care of many needs, but they can't do a fraction of things a PC/laptop can. The worst is that PC hardware development has been slowed as companies cater to lower voltage smart device markets instead of raw PC power.

• Eric locked this topic