Kentucky clerk still won't issue same-sex marriage licenses

1998 when gay marriage was not even an issue

Yes it was.  Same sex marriage and the legal precedents and tax issues it addresses is not a recent thing at all.  It's simply a case that it has become a focal point recently because the "rest of the world" has woken up and realised the situation was wholly unfair. 

Yes it was.  Same sex marriage and the legal precedents and tax issues it addresses is not a recent thing at all.  It's simply a case that it has become a focal point recently because the "rest of the world" has woken up and realised the situation was wholly unfair. 

It is true: the issue was there but not visible at all, the conversations in 1998 were totally different: at that time, the sanctity of marriage problem was Bill Clinton's because of Monica Lewinsky ... How times have changed ...

In any case, as far as Kim Davis is concerned, a hearing has been scheduled for today to determine if she will be held in contempt of court. Let' see how this plays out.

the issue was there but not visible at all, the conversations in 1998 were totally different: at that time, the sanctity of marriage problem was Bill Clinton's because of Monica Lewinsky ... How times have changed ...

That may have been your exposure to it - but it was something I remember being quite widely debated over here. 

Things are not looking good for Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who refuses to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

On Thursday, she will appear to at a court hearing to determine whether she will be held in contempt for refusing to comply with court orders requiring her to issue marriage licenses. If she loses, she could end up in jail, subject to a fine or both.

The lawyers defending Davis are in a tough spot. She has been explicitly told to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples by the court and she’s refused to do so, citing her religious beliefs.

So her lawyers have gotten creative. In a filing submitted to the court on Wednesday, Davis’ lawyers argued it was actually impossible for her to issue a same-sex marriage license.

impossible

This, of course, is not the definition of the word impossible. She is fully capable of using a pen. Her lawyers merely state that she really doesn’t want to issue the licenses for religious reasons.

Her lawyers advance some other arguments, but most of them deal with the merits of her position. But the court already considered those argument before issuing the initial order.

What’s next for Davis? We’ll find out soon.

Source

She will not go to jail, she will get a slap on the wrists and reassigned to another role.  This is America.  The courts will protect her and her supposed beliefs.

But I argue this isn't REALLY about her beliefs.  Surely she stood against same sex marriage - whatever.  But this is about bitterness of being on the losing side of an argument, and thus trying to throw her power around.

She will not go to jail, she will get a slap on the wrists and reassigned to another role.  This is America.  The courts will protect her and her supposed beliefs.

But I argue this isn't REALLY about her beliefs.  Surely she stood against same sex marriage - whatever.  But this is about bitterness of being on the losing side of an argument, and thus trying to throw her power around.

I wouldn't be so sure that will be the case. She is violating the constitution by using her gov't office to force a religion on others. The court has already rejected her view and the court will not like that she is ignoring their ruling.

She was found in contempt of court.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/09/03/3698419/breaking-kim-davis-held-in-contempt-of-court-now-in-us-marshals-custody/

Federal District Judge David Bunning held Kim Davis, the county clerk who has become a national symbol of anti-gay animus for her resistance to marriage equality, in contempt of court on Thursday. According to Dan Griffin, a reporter for local news station WSAZ, she was led out by U.S. Marshals. The judge reportedly said that financial sanctions were not enough to ensure her compliance with the law.

Good, you don't get to deny others their civil rights while holding office. You either follow the law, quit the job or get held responsible for your actions.

Imagine if Jewish clerks denied restaurant licenses because they serve pork. Imagine if Muslim clerks denied liquor licenses because drinking is a sin. Imagine if Quaker clerks denied gun licenses. That path is madness and does not belong in government.

• Like 3

What I'm wondering is--does Ms. Davis belong to a union, like AFSCME (American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees)? If so, they'll move heaven and earth to ensure that she does minimal jail time, and doesn't lose her job over this, I would think.

FYI - She's an elected official and would have to be removed either by a recall vote or the State Legislature would have to convene to deal with her, she can be removed if the Legislature impeaches her.

More info - http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/clerk-in-gay-marriage-case-to-appear-in-federal-court/ar-AAdUq1U

Oh well, that was bound to happen. If the judge had to resort to jail time, that means that she remained defiant before him.

According to several news outlet, when she was ordered to be jailed, she said 'Thank you, judge' so I guess she is keeping on her narcisist path to martyrdom.

What is also bound to happen is the incoming fox-news/right wing punditry/GOP candidates outrage explosion in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

What is also bound to happen is the incoming fox-news/right wing punditry/GOP candidates outrage explosion in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20091016/ARTICLES/910169877
http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20091015/ARTICLES/910159860

TOATALLY NOT THE SAME THING11!11

:rofl:

That this has even become a thing shows the sad state of news media.

The title should be "Kentucky clerk still won't do her job" and ends with her being relieved of her duties and replaced with someone who will. There's simply no need for any of this media-driven hysteria.

• Like 2

Being reported that more officials on other counties are denying marriages as well.  And it just isnt gay marriage, its all marriage.  And they brought Kim Davis in to the court room a little while ago to try and do a deal.  Something about if she would interfere if she let the deputies approve the gay marriages.  If she does, them I am betting she is going back to jail real quick.

The More You Know!
Religious Liberty™ Apparently now lets you not only refuse to issue a marriage license to anyone for any reason but to also force your subordinates to adhere to your religious objections regardless of their own beliefs.

• Like 3

Oh well, that was bound to happen. If the judge had to resort to jail time, that means that she remained defiant before him.

According to several news outlet, when she was ordered to be jailed, she said 'Thank you, judge' so I guess she is keeping on her narcisist path to martyrdom.

Was watching the Fox Entertainment Channel last night and they, of course, immediately defended her. The main argument being, "why don't so-and-so just go somewhere else?" I wanted to call in and say, "because they shouldn't have to."

Why do I get the feeling if Kim Davis was a Muslim citing her faithfulness to the Koran, she wouldn't have nearly as many supporters?

2016 Republican candidates rally around Ky. clerk Kim Davis

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/03/politics/2016-kim-davis-presidential-candidates-responses/

Good grief! All I am looking for is a presidential candidate who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Instead we get religious loonies on one side and incompetent buffoons like Hillary who don't know how to handle sensitive emails on the other.

Listen, the way I see it, we have 10-20% of the population who are far-right, and 10-20% who are far-left. I guess I fall in between, in that I just want someone who will simply do what is best for the country as a whole, and not cater to some particular constituency.

Is that too much to ask?

Kim Davis is certainly entitled to her beliefs, but not when they encroach on the legal rights of others. Period!

(To any religious person I have offended, show me God and I will apologize. Until then, it's nothing more than a fairy tale. Call me crazy, but I refuse to live my life based on a fairy tale. If you choose to, that is your prerogative.)

Edited by COKid