Arch Help

I am testing out Arch on my laptop, and it's been a trip. More than installing Debian, at least.

The trouble I am having now, that XFCE4, or Slim for that matter, isn't loading at startup. It starts up in TTY1, not in graphic mode.

I tried looking it up through arch and all that, but can't find anything on this... Help?

Have you configured xorg/slim/.xinitrc etc? By that I mean, does running startxfce4 from the terminal work? If that works, it could just be that you haven't enabled slim's systemd service:

systemctl enable slim && systemctl start slim

Also check:

systemctl status slim
or:
journalctl -xe 

for errors.

OK, I now startup with Slim, but after I enter my username and password, I get

Failed to execute login command

OK, I now startup with Slim, but after I enter my username and password, I get

Failed to execute login command

You need to configure slim as per the wiki. Specifically, editing /etc/slim.conf and depending on your preferred behaviour,  uncommenting sessiondir or editing login_cmd / .xinitrc to automatically run a particular environment.

Did you read the Arch Wiki before installing Slim? "Warning: The SliM project has been abandoned (the project homepage is down, leaving a github mirror), and is not fully compatible with systemd, including logind sessions. Consider using a different Display manager or Xinitrc."

My experience with Arch is limited (still learning myself) but could that explain why you are having problems? I beileve I read it was best to use LXDM with Xfce.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful, good luck!

I should just use Manjaro...

If you want an easy guide to follow to get an Xfce Arch set-up, look here, it's the first of two parts where Matt Moore shows how to install Arch using the Evolution Linux installer. It works fine, I have followed his instructions after having trouble with the "Arch Way" and it came out beautifully. Part Two shows you how to theme and customize Xfce after you get it installed. Be warned, you are now an outcast in the Arch community, if you mention Evolution, Manjaro or Antergos on the Arch forums, every reply will be "RTFM!" or worse! When all is said and done you will have a pure Arch install without the beginners headaches.

I used it and then decided I wanted to try gnome, so I installed gnome beside Xfce, decided I wanted to try the "Arch Way" with gnome only, and it worked fine. You will learn installing with Evo, just not as much. You will need the same information about your system, and what you want to install. I used the beginners guide as I used Evo and it helped me understand why the guide says what is says. I still can't say I understand much of anything, and am actually thinking about Ubuntu Gnome, the people in the Ubuntu community seem to be more welcoming and since it's Ubuntu most of the questions have been asked and answered. I love the Arch Way, but I' not sure I really ready to fix any problem without spending hours looking over the Wiki.

Manjaro and Antergos stand in between Arch and the user, and it's both good and bad. They hold packages for a few days to check them (good) but security patches are also held up (bad). Antergos uses Numix Frost (blue) stuff for their theming, Manjaro uses Menda (green/black), both use automated installers and pull from their own repos. I think the AUR can be added to both, but not sure about that.

I hope this helps, Good Luck!

I thought Manjaro "was" Arch. Using pacman and AUR.

I should just go back to my roots and stay with Debian. I never had any trouble with it, just that I wanted to try Arch. But, yet again, it has become irritating. Apt-get is what I am...

Manjaro is an Arch based distro with it's own repos and uses pamac-aur as their graphical front-end for pacman. You can use both Antergos and Manjaro to make "pure" Arch builds by removing their respected repos. I hope I'm not getting them confused, but neither is a "pure" arch build.

It's all Linux, use what you like and what works for you. Cheers!

I've always found the arch support forums to be full of pretentious ###### that shouldn't be allowed near computers. They don't answer questions that are 'hard', they recommend a very stupid lenovo laptop as the best thing on earth and if you don't agree, prefer for a full-on invasion, and their response to 'where has ifconfig gone?' was along the lines of 'ITS OLD STOP USING IT IP OR GTFO'.

Best avoided at all costs really.

I posted on there once on how to install AUR. They said, did you read the Wiki? I'm like, yeah, but how do you do it? You look up the wiki on how to install it. But how is that done? We aren't going to hold your hands here. *closes thread*

I just hated it... Why I ask on here now. As we have a lot of Arch users. I should be able to get some more down to earth help.

You all must not be wording your questions right or the forums have gotten bad, never had any issues getting an answer there, but you have to at least show that you made some effort to find a solution, yes they will not spoon feed you an answer 

Announcement August 30, 2015

After much thought, I've made the difficult decision to shut down the “community” side of the Evo/Lution project due to lack of interest and participation. The forums and wiki will be shut down within the next week.

The Evo/Lution installer is still being updated and maintained as necessary by Carl Duff, the creator of Lution-AIS. The installer is still available for download at Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/evolutionlinux/ I have offered to hand over the http://www.evolutionlinux.com and http://www.evolutionlinux.info URL's to Carl if he is interested in using them in the future.

The software (installer) side of the project has been and continues to be quite popular with 134,812 downloads as of today. Out of that number, only 307 users have joined the forums and community. Out of the 307, the majority of those have never posted. That seems to indicate that the majority of Evo/Lution users do not need or desire a friendly alternative Arch support community.

Sad news, I decided to check on Evolution while discussing this thread, I didn't have any questions so I never posted or joined the community. Good news is they are still working on the installer.

I understand the "trial by fire" install method, but some people don't want to spend 2 hours or so installing Linux from a command line. I don't understand why being able to read a Wiki and having a little luck getting everything right, makes Arch users feel that there should only be one way to install it. I get that they want people to look for answers and try to figure out what to do on their own, what I don't understand is when people explain they have "RTFM" and still can't figure it out. I also laugh when they say, "well, maybe Arch isn't for you" like it's some sort of badge of honor to have a computer that's running Arch, but only if you did it the "Arch Way". To each his own...

Shame. The Arch Community used to be so helpful. :(

Well, there's always Debian or Mint. Sticking with 14.04 as a base seemed like a good idea at the time, but now we're a year and a half into it and it's really getting long in the tooth. There seem to be more and more things I have to add just to get a raw Ubuntu install up to speed. And don't get me started on 15.04 ... ugh. Train wreck.

I can see why you got Distro-curious.

I'll stay with raw Debian. I used to like Crunchbang, but they are closing down now.

I just wanted to try Arch, not really as my main OS. But, as it proves again, it is difficult.

• Like 1

I'll stay with raw Debian. I used to like Crunchbang, but they are closing down now.

I just wanted to try Arch, not really as my main OS. But, as it proves again, it is difficult.

what about archbang then? or antergos? 

Arch is child's play. The wiki basically does it all for you. Arch has the best documentation of any distro I've seen. If you really want a challenge try a Gentoo stage 1 install (if they even do that these days). I remember it taking me days to get a fully working system when I first tried it lol.

meh, I'll keep picking my nose at it. I think I got the disk partitioning and right up to where you do chroot stuff. Least I'm further than I was bout 6 months ago when I tried it..