Raspberry Pi 2 & Kodi

Hey Ladies & Gents,

Has anyone setup RPi2 with Kodi (XBMC)? I'm wanting to know if it's a worthy investment. I was originally using my XBOX360, however I use Windows 10 now, and WMC is no longer supported. Not to mention, I'd like it back.

So my question is; does RPi2 handle the streaming fine? My co-worker suggested this tutorial.

the raspberry pi's were running xmbc fine even before the new more powerful models.

They are only a few bucks.. If it doesn't work out, you still have a toy you can play with ;)  I have one of the older models - keep meaning to grab a newer one to play with as well..  I saw there a new touch screen that is going to be for the pi as well 7 inch, etc.  Should make for some nice diy projects with that.

the raspberry pi's were running xmbc fine even before the new more powerful models.

They are only a few bucks.. If it doesn't work out, you still have a toy you can play with ;)  I have one of the older models - keep meaning to grab a newer one to play with as well..  I saw there a new touch screen that is going to be for the pi as well 7 inch, etc.  Should make for some nice diy projects with that.

When I ran it with my Pi 1, it was sluggish, and slow. I'm willing to shell the $55 out for a Pi 2, and the $22 adapter if my TV Doesn't do the HDMI cable thing. If it gets the family to stop harassing me. I'm using my Pi 1 at work for working on Python coding. It's been super fun, and my boss can't say a thing about it. :D

why would you have a TV that doesn't have hdmi??  You are buying 3k$ computers but your TV doesn't have hdmi??  What??

55$ your talking a full kit with SD card and power supply and case for the Pi2 B+

As to slow - did it work?  Not everything has to be a freaking rocketship..  Once it plays a movie did it stutter?  What you expect for $35???

^ Gotta kinda agree.... How are you still using an analogue TV, yet you're buying 4 x 4k monitors? 

For a student working in a DC, you're making some good coin, hope you're leaving yourself some for food and rent lol. 

why would you have a TV that doesn't have hdmi??  You are buying 3k$ computers but your TV doesn't have hdmi??  What??

55$ your talking a full kit with SD card and power supply and case for the Pi2 B+

As to slow - did it work?  Not everything has to be a freaking rocketship..  Once it plays a movie did it stutter?  What you expect for $35???

^ Gotta kinda agree.... How are you still using an analogue TV, yet you're buying 4 x 4k monitors? 

For a student working in a DC, you're making some good coin, hope you're leaving yourself some for food and rent lol. 

Ahhh.. I worded that funny, so I see the confusion. Sending remote signals over the HDMI cable, so I can use my remote for choosing shows/movies. That's what I was referring too. I'm not sure if my TV supports that feature or not. If not, i'll just buy the USB adapter and do that. I think this has been a better route to go than the PLEX Media Server deal. Considering, i want my XBOX back! :D

I mean, $55 for the Pi 2 + Power & $22 for the IR Remote Plug = $85 (With s&h) vs $400 XBOX, plus I don't need to leave a computer/server running 24/7 for it.

Nevermind, answered that question on my own. Haha.

@ Jared - I live at home right now, instead of paying absurd money on rent, power, water, etc.. I'm saving what I can, and I'm also paying off a lot of my debts. I make $50k+ a year, my monthly expenses are about 55% of my paychecks. The rest goes to things like computer parts, peripherals for work. Projects like Pi 2, and things like that. Frankly, I eat too much of my money on junk food.

Edited by BinaryData

how old is the tv your going to want to use this on.. I have to believe anything last say 5 years would support CEC..

What is your tv brand, different brands call it different stuff

AOC: E-link
    Hitachi: HDMI-CEC (Thank you, Hitachi!)
    LG: SimpLink
    Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI
    Onkyo: RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
    Panasonic: HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link
    Philips: EasyLink
    Pioneer: Kuro Link
    Runco International: RuncoLink
    Samsung: Anynet+
    Sharp: Aquos Link
    Sony: BRAVIA Sync
    Toshiba: CE-Link or Regza Link
    Vizio: CEC (Thank you, Vizio!)

My living room 52" samsung is quite old.. Going on 7 years for sure and it has CEC or as they call it Anynet+

Should work fine. I had a RPi 1 running Kodi. I'm currently repurposing it into a plex media server / nas as I exclusively use Plex/NFS now. I also prefer the plex home theatre when paired with the server. Still Kodi works great with NFS shares.

Even the web interface for plex is brilliant:

BzxsREO.jpg

how old is the tv your going to want to use this on.. I have to believe anything last say 5 years would support CEC..

What is your tv brand, different brands call it different stuff

AOC: E-link
    Hitachi: HDMI-CEC (Thank you, Hitachi!)
    LG: SimpLink
    Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI
    Onkyo: RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
    Panasonic: HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link
    Philips: EasyLink
    Pioneer: Kuro Link
    Runco International: RuncoLink
    Samsung: Anynet+
    Sharp: Aquos Link
    Sony: BRAVIA Sync
    Vizio: CEC (Thank you, Vizio!)

My living room 52" samsung is quite old.. Going on 7 years for sure and it has CEC or as they call it Anynet+

It's a 42" Toshiba

55% on food, 45% on computers. 0% savings? :p

Ah well, we've all been at this stage lol.  Good stuff, to earn 50k+ as a standing job ain't bad at all!

Lol no. I spend maybe $300 a month on groceries, it's the eating out that kills me. I have a lot of bills right now, which is why I don't live on my own. I've taken care of a lot of my debts, just a few big ones left. And yeah, I love what I make, I'm wanting to make more. 

Should work fine. I had a RPi 1 running Kodi. I'm currently repurposing it into a plex media server / nas as I exclusively use Plex/NFS now. I also prefer the plex home theatre when paired with the server. Still Kodi works great with NFS shares.

Even the web interface for plex is brilliant:

I won't be streaming it outside of the home network. Personally, I'd do PLEX, but for my mom, RPi2 sounds like a better option.

Gawd yes, best money I have ever spent. I recommend going with OSMC as your OS for kodi.

Awesome. I was thinking of OSMC because it's faster for pulling information, than the other one.

well look in its menu/setup does it make mention of

What is the model number?  How old is it?

Yeah what class of SD did you or do you have in your pi 1?  For sure that can make a huge difference in the peformance!!!

I found Kodi standalone install was sluggish.. installing RetroPie and installing Kodi from the RetroPie setup makes it run smooth as butter.. movies ran fine either way @ 1080p no stutter.. just UI lag on the standalone Kodi install... on the RPi B+ 1

Yeah what class of SD did you or do you have in your pi 1?  For sure that can make a huge difference in the peformance!!!

Just a cheap $10 one from Fred Meyer. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I wasn't sure I'd use. So, I bought a cheap one. When I buy the Pi2, I'll get a class 10.

One other thing to note, if you see that after boot up your Pi keeps having a rainbow colored square in the upper right corner, it means you are not getting sufficient power to the Pi. Samsung phone chargers work with the Pi. You can use that until you find a better power supply if you are experiencing that problem.

One other thing to note, if you see that after boot up your Pi keeps having a rainbow colored square in the upper right corner, it means you are not getting sufficient power to the Pi. Samsung phone chargers work with the Pi. You can use that until you find a better power supply if you are experiencing that problem.

Any micro-USB connector will work in it.

Any micro-USB connector will work in it.

Not true. I have had power issues with my Pi. You need to make sure its not bad cables or too low of a power adapter. I have had 3 power adapters to go out on me because they were cheap knock offs that microcenter had for sale.

Not true. I have had power issues with my Pi. You need to make sure its not bad cables or too low of a power adapter. I have had 3 power adapters to go out on me because they were cheap knock offs that microcenter had for sale.

All mine are cellphone chargers, 2014+ phone chargers.