Is my laptop just not fast enough?

chipset=all of them
...every single one of them

bios update wouldn't hurt.

The last 3 chipsets are duplicates. Which one should I install? Thanks.

I reenable it to return it to a state where it looks untouched. 

You can grab all 3, it will only install what it detects.

I re-enabled it on my Spectre after install and it broke the OS.

I ended up making a UEFI compatible flash drive install.

Where do you stand now with the reinstall? 

Almost done. Should I install any of the software solutions? Any of the keyboard, mouse, and input devices? Thanks.

No leave them for now.  At this point only do anything that is in dev manager as unknown. 

Okay. Done. Everything is finished. Let me know what I should do next. Thanks.

With nothing loaded other than the os how is it running. Run some tests.   As mentioned by someone prior, change power settings to performance.  It should be as fast as the old one or better being that there is no bloat ware. 

Performance will drain the battery faster but I can make that change later, to give you decent performance and decent battery life. 

With nothing loaded other than the os how is it running. Run some tests.   As mentored by someone prior change power settings to performance. 

Yes, are there any other settings that I can do to max out my performance? Any processor settings, RAM settings, etc...?

Not a whole lot with that,  it is a laptop after all.   Best we can do is mess with different power settings, change some nic settings.  Ssd would be the only other thing you can do to it to really boost speed, noticeably.  Doing this was the first step to give you everything the computer can do without all the bs software and reminisce of them. 

Not a whole lot with that,  it is a laptop after all.   Best we can do is mess with different power settings. Ssd would be the only other thing you can do to it.

Okay, thanks though.

Actually, I feel like it is faster than if I would have restored it from the HP recovery thing. Thanks a lot sc302! :)

You only have the os on it now,  no other crap slowing it down. It is about as good as it is going to get without going ssd.  Like I said,  minor things that can only improve battery life after you set it for performance.

So many pages in this thread :p

I hope he installed the correct windows edition that matches his license xD

• Like 2

I re-enabled it on my Spectre after install and it broke the OS.

I ended up making a UEFI compatible flash drive install.

Yeah, that's what I do too.

I vaguely recall WIndows will alter the way it partitions the drive but I'm a bit exhausted with this never-ending thread to dig out the specifics...

Okay, thanks though.

Actually, I feel like it is faster than if I would have restored it from the HP recovery thing. Thanks a lot sc302! :)

Just duplicate your test scenario where you were copying files, loading a program and watching Youtube at the same time to see if it is fixed.

Thanks for the help everyone. I hope this fixed it. If not, I'm getting an SSD or a new laptop. For now, this will do. Thanks so much to sc302 and DevTech for all the time and help. If you ever need some beer, let me know. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the help everyone. I hope this fixed it. If not, I'm getting an SSD or a new laptop. For now, this will do. Thanks so much to sc302 and DevTech for all the time and help. If you ever need some beer, let me know. :)

Next time I'm in Los Angeles (assuming that's correct) I'll drop by for that beer...

Given how I hate to travel, you can expect me in a 10 to 20 year time frame

I'd like a beer dude :D ! 

I didn't do much, but I don't want to be the only sober one in this thread.

Next time I'm in Australia, I'll buy you that beer. I think I might have a cousin living in Australia so maybe I can get him to deliver one. :)

I can't imagine making such a trip - the world is so huge, so full of things, yet also a tiny spec in the ocean of stars...

This might be a little late, but why didn't you use a drive imager like Macrium Reflect to store the drive image to copy to a SSD?

It can't be the gpu. Even integrated gpus made in the last few years can handle 4k at 30fps.

The major cause of browser lag is browser add-ons, followed by crappy javascript.

The biggest cause of lag in general would be antivirus. Approximately one-third of your system resources will be used for active antivirus.

Also, don't use the built-in Task Manager. Use Process Explorer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

This is the laptop I have: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x360-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-natural-silver/4221702.p?id=1219708600904&skuId=4221702

I feel like my laptop is just not fast enough. I mean I have an i7 and 8GB of RAM. I used to have this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387430,00.asp

Here is why I feel like it's not fast enough:

YouTube videos lag whenever I try to play 720p or 1080p videos.

When I have too many programs open (for example 8 of the same programs) on both my new and old laptop, my old laptop seems to run and "feel" faster.

I haven't gamed yet with my new laptop but I'm going to try it soon. I doubt it will be as good as the old one though.

Any reason for this? I used to run Windows 7 on my old laptop and I have Windows 10 on my new laptop (it came with it). I just don't know how I can take full advantage of my laptop as I'm getting very frustrated with this new laptop.

Thanks.

That i7 is a lie! I can't believe Intel would brand ###### in such a misleading way. Here's the thing, mate... 

YOUR OLDER CPU WAS BETTER.  

Edit: I'm a dumbass. Thought the first page of the thread was the only page. Carry on.