[New York] Yankees legend Yogi Berra dead at 90

120838-Yogi_berra_quotes_1_001_medium.jp

http://nypost.com/2015/09/23/yankees-legend-yogi-berra-dead-at-90/

Yankees legend Yogi Berra dead at 90

Yogi Berra, a three-time MVP who was the backbone of a record 10 world-champion Yankees teams in the 1940, 50s and 60s and who became one of the most beloved figures in franchise history despite a lengthy estrangement from the team, died Tuesday night, according to the Yogi Berra Museum. He was 90.

Berra, whose wife of 65 years, Carmen, died in March 2014, had been in failing health for some time. His death was announced by the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center in Little Falls, N.J., to which Berra had devoted himself in the final years of his life.

Berra, a catcher who was named the A.L.s most valuable player in 1951, 54 and 55, led the Yankees to five consecutive world championships (1949-53) and also led a team that included Mickey Mantle and, for three of those seasons, Joe DiMaggio, in RBIs for seven consecutive seasons (1949-55). Berra was an 18-time All-Star, a member of a record 14 A.L. pennant winners and a 1972 inductee into the Baseball Hall of Fame. That was the same year his uniform No. 8 was retired by the Yankees.

Berra, who dropped out of school after the 8th grade to help support his family, is nearly as well known for his unique use of the English language as he is for his baseball career. His wit and wisdom  'Its never over til its over'. 'When you come to a fork in the road, take it'. 'If the world were perfect, it wouldnt be'. have not only found their way into the American lexicon, but also into Bartletts Familiar Quotations.

While Berra protested he 'never said some of the things I said', it was precisely those things that made him a part of the fabric of baseball for more than seven decades and a national treasure.

People who dont know anything about baseball, know about Yogi Berra, former Yankees pitcher David Cone told The Post in 2012.
>

And last we forget, the classic AFLAC insurance commercial

https://youtu.be/O-EZf56AfYc

Truly a sad day in the world of sports

Anybody here seen my old friend Yogi?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
I thought I saw him playin' ball up over the hill
with Mickey, Roger, Clete, and the boys

• Like 2