iPod Not Detected in iTunes

i went to load some new albums on my ipod nano the other day. i plug it into my laptop (windows 10) and open itunes. iTunes displays an error message saying that the ipod was detected but could not be identified.

i've tried every troubleshooting step on the apple help page. none of them worked. the ipod shows up in windows explorer. it populates in Device Manager as both a USB device and a hard drive. i've tried to manually install the driver. i've tried various USB ports on my laptop.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204095?&cid=acs::fm-itunes_HT204095-93716

thoughts?

ipod.JPG

Do you have another computer to try it on to see if the issue is with the machine or with the iPod itself? I recall having an issue like this years ago and it ended up being a problem with the cable. 

Try to create a new account on your PC and install iTunes and plug your iPod and see what happens,... if it goes through, then your primary account is screwed.

If not, then it could be cable or your system isn't supported due to windows 10 upgrade. Which the drivers was updated automatically that screwed it up.

I had this happen once. If it's showing up as a storage device the Apple drivers either aren't installed or have become unregistered. Reinstalling iTunes fixed it for me. I think mine happened with the bad iTunes release a few months ago... 12.1 maybe?

I had this happen once. If it's showing up as a storage device the Apple drivers either aren't installed or have become unregistered. Reinstalling iTunes fixed it for me. I think mine happened with the bad iTunes release a few months ago... 12.1 maybe?

i tried reinstalling iTunes. the latest version is installed, 12.3.

i'm guessing it's related to the windows 10 upgrade. i dont think ive even plugged in my ipod since July, before upgrading.

i'll try my Desktop tonight if i get the chance. thanks guys.

I don't think it's Windows 10. I haven't had any issues and I updated a few days before RTM with the final ESD from preview. You might try removing all the Apple stuff completely then uninstall the device from Device Manager before reinstalling iTunes.

I was actually surprised that Windows recognized mine as a storage device, then disappointed that it only could access the photos folder. :p

• 1 month later...
  1. Ensure the latest version of iTunes is installed.
  2. Open “Control Panel“.
  3. Select “Hardware and Sound“.
  4. Select “Devices and Printers“.
  5. Your iPhone or iPod should be displayed in the “Unspecified” section. Right-click it and select “Properties“.
    Note: If you don’t see your device listed here, ensure you have selected to trust the PC on the device and you are using a supported cable.
  6. iPod Device Properties optionSelect the “Hardware” tab, then click the “Properties” button.
  7. Hardware Properties buttonFrom the “General” tab, select the “Change settings” button.
  8. Change settings buttonSelect the “Driver” tab, then select “Update Driver“.
  9. Update Driver optionChoose “Browse my computer for driver software“.
  10. Browse my computer for driver software optionSelect “Browse…” then navigate to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers“. If you don’t have this folder, check in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers“.
  11. Apple device driver locationClick “Next” > “Close.

Your Apple device should now be detected successfully within iTunes.

snip

Edited by zhangm

^ Can confirm that works. It has to do with the Apple Mobile Device driver failing or something. Cant remember the reason why it happens but I know that the above fix fixed the same error I had with my phone on a few occassions.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to post on this topic again. Mods let me know if I should start a new topic

I'm having the same issue as mentioned above but can't seem to use the method described above to resolve the issue. I've read a few thing online, and tried a few different methods for trying to force Windows to re-install the iPod drivers but to no avail. 

Last resort seems to be a re-install of Windows but this seems to be a drastic step for a driver that's failing to re-install. Has anyone else had any other ways to resolve this issue?

Sorry to post on this topic again. Mods let me know if I should start a new topic

I'm having the same issue as mentioned above but can't seem to use the method described above to resolve the issue. I've read a few thing online, and tried a few different methods for trying to force Windows to re-install the iPod drivers but to no avail. 

Last resort seems to be a re-install of Windows but this seems to be a drastic step for a driver that's failing to re-install. Has anyone else had any other ways to resolve this issue?

Download the main iTunes installer and use 7Zip or WinRAR to extract it. You can then right-click on the device packages and repair them or uninstall them and reinstall them.

• Like 1

Download the main iTunes installer and use 7Zip or WinRAR to extract it. You can then right-click on the device packages and repair them or uninstall them and reinstall them.

Legend

Thank you kindly, that worked a treat!

Legend

Thank you kindly, that worked a treat!

Great! I had to do the same thing around the 12 release. The installer was screwed up and didn't call the mobile device driver installer. :(