Time to Say Goodbye

It all started with an HTC HD7. I loved the phone. Then came the Nokia Lumia 900, I loved it even more. Finally, the Lumia 1020. I have never seen a better camera on a phone. It's now running Windows Phone 10. Not for long. Today I am receiving a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and I will be saying goodbye to the Windows Phone platform, even though I am a Microsoft maniac. I think I have been patient enough, at this point I am not ready to wait for my banking apps to show up in the Store -among other things. The app gap is a real thing, I've been a very strong supporter of the Windows Phone platform but there are facts I cannot deny.

I hope I made the right choice. Since I'm new, or I'll be new very soon, to Android, are there things that you might suggest? I'm a n00b but I still have a brain, no need to tell me not to download p0rn apps :D

So, are there any apps that you can't live without? I would appreciate suggestions :)

Thanks.

Fred

It's a shame that seems to be the number one reason people don't go to or leave Windows Phone, I've been considering them for a while, especially with the amazing camera on some of the devices.

As for apps I couldn't live without, tbh I can't think of any I'd absolutely recommend, plenty I use often but I'd argue quite personal choice. The only thing I would recommend is Google Rewards, its quite nice to get play store credit every now and then for a 30 second survey.

The apologists can deny it all they want, but the marketplace on Windows phone is both a mess and sadly lacking.  I have recently moved from Android to iOS, but very strongly considered Windows Phone, until I encountered all these missing apps (I bought a cheap one to try on).

• Like 2

I can't really see banking apps as a reason to switch, at least not for me. I just use the mobile website for TD Bank, and it's as fast or faster than an app would be.

But everyone has their own priorities, mine being a rock solid "core" experience - stable OS, good photos, good communication tools, that sort of thing. I know I'm in the minority, but for me app selection is secondary, since I can still do everything I want to on my phone. Between the apps WP does have, and the browser there's nothing important (to me) that I can't do.

And I found that WP 7 & 8 are both more stable than my old Android phone was. While Android may have improved in the last few years, I'm happy enough with WP that I feel no need to switch back. Again, largely because I rely less on apps than most people.

But everyone's needs are different, and if Android works better for you, I wish you luck with it.

Edited by DConnell

I can't really see banking apps as a reason to switch, at least not for me. I just use the mobile website for TD Bank, and it's as fast or faster than an app would be.

I think that was one example of apps he was missing. In layman terms, iOS and Android have everything whilst Windows Phone has nothing.

But everyone has their own priorities, mine being a rock solid "core" experience - stable OS, good photos, good communication tools, that sort of thing.

Like iOS and Android then.

• Like 2

I think that was one example of apps he was missing. In layman terms, iOS and Android have everything whilst Windows Phone has nothing.

Nothing? I have to disagree. Fewer certainly, but "nothing" is an exaggeration. Unless Netflix, Kindle, Adobe Reader, Asphalt Overdrive, Disqus, Facebook, Groupon, Here Maps, Minecraft, Pandora, Office, Onedrive, Paypal, Skype, Twitter etc. counts as "nothing". And that's just on my phone. Not disputing that Android & iOS have more, but I will dispute the claim that WP has "nothing" or lacks the big ones.

And in my experience Android is much less stable than WP. And iOS just doesn't appeal - the people know who use them seem to have more difficulty doing the core stuff than I'd tolerate.

And I've yet to see an iPhone that lasts for 2+ days like my Lumia 1520.

The only thing I will say is remember with Samsung you are getting a heavily customised version of Android.

I've had a few friends who have liked the look of my near stock Android devices (Galaxy Nexus / One Plus One) then gone and purchased a Samsung and been quite disappointing with it. Equally I know some people who would never buy anything but Samsung.

Samsung have done a lot of good for Android over the years don't get me wrong, I think today however a lot of other manufactures give you a far better Android experience than Samsung do. 

I did that not too long ago for pretty much the same reasons...

I'm now back to my Lumia 830 running 8.1 (10 was too buggy for my daily use IMO).  I had gone to a Moto X and although I can definitely appreciate the advances in Android there were very specific work related things that made me go back.  Mail and calendar is much better in 8.1.  I hope 10 doesn't push it more to Outlook on Android because it wasn't a happy experience for me.  Contacts were handled much better also.  Android had many duplicates I had to manually join which doesn't happen on WM. Then there's various little things (which I admit may be because of my lack of experience in Android) such as text prediction, general keyboard feel, etc.

So I'm patiently waiting for my 950 and a hopefully fully baked Windows 10, which will also hopefully bring apps (I know I've heard this before) with the universal marketplace.

• Like 2

Nothing? I have to disagree. Fewer certainly, but "nothing" is an exaggeration. Unless Netflix, Kindle, Adobe Reader, Asphalt Overdrive, Disqus, Facebook, Groupon, Here Maps, Minecraft, Pandora, Office, Onedrive, Paypal, Skype, Twitter etc. counts as "nothing". And that's just on my phone. Not disputing that Android & iOS have more, but I will dispute the claim that WP has "nothing" or lacks the big ones.

And in my experience Android is much less stable than WP. And iOS just doesn't appeal - the people know who use them seem to have more difficulty doing the core stuff than I'd tolerate.

And I've yet to see an iPhone that lasts for 2+ days like my Lumia 1520.

Those are client applications for big websites. What about the million other things you can do on a phone? Not to mention all those apps work better on the established platforms and get new features sooner. Of course "nothing" is an exaggeration, but you really can't compare the app situation.

Android is as stable as anything I've seen. Maybe it depends on which device you use and with what OEM software, but my Nexuses have always been rock solid.

My current iPhone 6 Plus lasts for two to three days, depending on whether I play too much AdVenture Capitalist or not, lol. My Nexus 6 lasted a long time too, but those are the only two phones I've had with good battery life.

I miss my HTC Titan. It's still one of the prettiest devices I've seen and it worked very well. I sold it and haven't looked back because of aforementioned app issues though, which is a shame. :(

Thanks guys for the answers. I guess I'll see. My girlfriend has an S5, I've played around with it and it's pretty stable for what I've seen. She used to be an iPhone user but now tells me that she wouldn't switch back. It took her some getting used to, but now she's pretty happy with it -and she's not shy about complaining when something irritates her.

I'm sure it will take me some getting used to too ( :blush: ), but at the end of the day I will adapt.

One thing I did not mention is that we used to have apps that were only available on Windows Phone, Office for example. Now, it's available on Android too and my job provides an Office 365 subscription. Even Cortana is on Android! I'll try Groove Music and see if it's as unstable on the Galaxy as on my Lumia 1020 running Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview 10.0.10536.1004...

I hear the S6 is more optimised than the S5, and less packed with bloatware, but I've always got on better with stock Android.

Tailoring suggestions to your specific needs might not be easy as I've not seen you say what's most important to you, but I personally find that, for music lovers, if you're willing to pay for it Neutron MP is an awesome media player, with a professional quality decoding engine and a high end equaliser. If you're an audiophile I'd much recommend buying it.

I hate to be the scratched cd, replaying the same thing, but if you read reviews, while touchwiz has been optimized, it still lags in certain scenarios, after owning a s4 and partially and s5, I won't go near any samsung for at least two more generations.

I hear the S6 is more optimised than the S5, and less packed with bloatware, but I've always got on better with stock Android.

Tailoring suggestions to your specific needs might not be easy as I've not seen you say what's most important to you, but I personally find that, for music lovers, if you're willing to pay for it Neutron MP is an awesome media player, with a professional quality decoding engine and a high end equaliser. If you're an audiophile I'd much recommend buying it.

For audiophile recommendations, there are other phones, like the meizu mx pro, vivo max which have known "audiophile" DACs.  Samsung exynos version use wolfson dacs (which are amazing as well), but snapdragon version use onboard SQ processor (which is good, but not audiophile, unicorn good :laugh: )

I hate to be the scratched cd, replaying the same thing, but if you read reviews, while touchwiz has been optimized, it still lags in certain scenarios, after owning a s4 and partially and s5, I won't go near any samsung for at least two more generations.

For audiophile recommendations, there are other phones, like the meizu mx pro, vivo max which have known "audiophile" DACs.  Samsung exynos version use wolfson dacs (which are amazing as well), but snapdragon version use onboard SQ processor (which is good, but not audiophile, unicorn good :laugh: )

Hence the reason I said that the app includes it's own audio decoder. It's not hard to read really.

Besides, the OP is buying an Android phone and wanted advice, which I gave to him.

• Like 1

On the verge of jumping ship myself.

I was genuinely gutted to see Nokia fall so far in this space, and I still am. I love my Lumia 930, warts n' all, and I do like Windows Phone as an OS, and I really want to support it in order to give it any chance of a future, but I'm just getting so ###### off with constantly being treated like a second class citizen, with regards to apps, websites and peripherals, even the basics like cases and screen protectors. The best stuff is never available for my device.

I've got a while yet before my contract is up for renewal, and a "free" upgrade is in the offering, but I'm not holding out much hope for my mind being changed within the next 6 months or so.

Ok, a little update. So far I'm pretty happy. The camera is not as good as on my Lumia 1020, but it's ok. The device is super responsive and I was able to customize pretty much everything I wanted.

In layman terms?  No, in clueless idiot terms, Windows Phone has nothing.  And while I think iOS is a great mobile OS, I wouldn't describe Android as a 'rock solid' core experience.  Frankly, for my Windows phone I have all the apps I could ever need, including a banking app which I maybe use once a month.

In layman terms?  No, in clueless idiot terms, Windows Phone has nothing.  And while I think iOS is a great mobile OS, I wouldn't describe Android as a 'rock solid' core experience.  Frankly, for my Windows phone I have all the apps I could ever need, including a banking app which I maybe use once a month.

That's good for you; experiences vary. All three have been "rock solid" for me in my usage, with the exception of the bugfest that was Windows Phone 7.0 and the turd parade that was Android 1 & 2.

That's good for you; experiences vary. All three have been "rock solid" for me in my usage, with the exception of the bugfest that was Windows Phone 7.0 and the turd parade that was Android 1 & 2.

Maybe Android 2 was what my brother had that made him leave it.  He couldn't stand it.  From that point, I always reckoned that Android was not good, at least not as good as iOS.  I never had Windows Phone 7, so I can't speak to its bugginess.  Plus, I equate Android with Google, and I really don't like their way of doing things.

OP 

LG G3 32gb here and i love it.

Usual suspects you may enjoy, Netflix app on android, ES File Explorer (with the addition of their chromecast plug in & built in media player inc NAS files, local files etc & cloud) Xiaa Live Radio (shoutcast server player) BBC iplayer (uk), anti-vir mobile and system optimiser also., Google star maps is also pretty funky :) and to be fair most Google made apps available are pretty robust.

Always the first apps i install on a new droid device of mine. 

Always liked the Windows phone and their promises but yep, dearth of apps, no sky+ no Netflix app (i think) is a deal breaker for me. I really want to take on Win phone but its still not there yet for me, my other half was a devoted Lumia 800 user and when it was upgrade time, she went over to android for the same reason, play now on your mobile (google store or apple store) sadly too common and shes never looked back.

Doesn't help the confusing range of Lumias, which ones newest, gonna be supported in 10 and beyond etc etc all dont help the cause of Win Mobile, im starting to fear Ms really are too late to the show, longer this remains the bigger struggle it will be to win back androids dominant market share tbvh.

Edited by Mando

Maybe Android 2 was what my brother had that made him leave it.  He couldn't stand it.  From that point, I always reckoned that Android was not good, at least not as good as iOS.  I never had Windows Phone 7, so I can't speak to its bugginess.  Plus, I equate Android with Google, and I really don't like their way of doing things.

I bought my first Android phone, a HTC Hero, with Android... uh, 1.6? I think? That was my first encounter with OEM hell, as the promised 2.0 was super-delayed. Suffice it to say that my experience, in general, with Android - an experiment because I was fed up with what I would liken to horse dung, an iPhone 3G, at that point - left a bitter taste in my mouth. I didn't come back to Android until the Nexus 4 was released. However, since then, I'm very, very happy with the system. Agreed on the point about Google though.

I had plenty of issues with my HTC Titan (after the Hero I swore I'd never buy an HTC device again - that didn't pan out well :D) and Windows Phone 7, but they were mostly resolved with 7.1 or 7.5... can't remember anymore. Ultimately a great lack of apps made me move on.

Hello, hello!

Ok, this is the second update. 6 days later, I am not looking back. The OS is very stable, fast and responsive. The phone itself is very nice, even though there could be improvements in the battery life section. It looks like Marshmallow will address some of the battery concerns so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your suggestions, I am among other things using Google Opinions/Rewards and that's a pretty cool thing. I'm also pretty amazed at how widgets can be helpful. I did not suffer any loss of functionality except for the absence of Age of Empires: Castle Siege that is not available in Google Play :( Oh well, it's still on my PC :woot:

So, that's it!