PS4 Firmware 3.15

via http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/09/29/ps4-system-software-update-3-00-out-930-take-a-visual-tour/

I've beta tested it and it's fine. Only things I really care about though are PNG screenshots and 10GB of PS+ storage for saves. Communities are cool enough, but I'd rather just post on website forums (they essentially are mini-forums accessed via the PS4).

-----

New for 3.15

This system software update improves the quality of the system performance.

New for 3.11

System software stability during use of some features has been improved.

Here's what i saw:

1. Everything social

2. 10GB storage for PS+ members.

i realize im no longer the target audience as i dont care one bit about the 'social' functions. i guess that's what aging does to you :pinch:

(get off my lawn! ::shakes fist::)

• Like 3

So much of that was about "Talking about games", "looking at other people's screenshots" or "watch people play"...

I'm out of touch with consoles but... None of the above sounds fun to me?

• Like 2

Here's what i saw:

1. Everything social

2. 10GB storage for PS+ members.

i realize im no longer the target audience as i dont care one bit about the 'social' functions. i guess that's what aging does to you :pinch:

youtube and the 10GB storage (for PS+) are the only things i can really say I loved about the update since being in the beta.. 

And funny thing is, i never even bothered with the youtube part of it.

So much of that was about "Talking about games", "looking at other people's screenshots" or "watch people play"...

I'm out of touch with consoles but... None of the above sounds fun to me?

i honestly think that kids these days watch people play games more than they actually play them.

i dont have kids, but there are young kids in my family, ages 7 and 12. they will only game on mobile devices these days. they dont even care about modern consoles and dont even play the 3DS's they have.

• Like 1

i honestly think that kids these days watch people play games more than they actually play them.

i dont have kids, but there are young kids in my family, ages 7 and 12. they will only game on mobile devices these days. they dont even care about modern consoles and dont even play the 3DS's they have.

The only time I've watched people play games is for help/tips or if it's a short video showing off something cool (incredible skills or something funny). I just don't understand lets plays lol. I'd rather play the game myself. Guess it has a huge enough audience though, given the YT "famous".

Thinking back over the last 6 months I have watched one or two Rocket League matches, but again, that was due to knowing beforehand the video had cool skills or was funny.

I don't get it either but I'm over 40 so yeah... old.

I have a 14 year old nephew though that I don't think even plays games anymore without broadcasting it on twitch.  Random people actually give him money which is insane to me.  I can't even watch my own nephew play for any lentgh of time let alone a complete stranger.  The entire concept of watching someone else play a game is completely foreign to me.  As others have said I've watched short videos here and there for how to get past point X you're stuck at but that's about it.  Even then I prefer reading an article then having to watch a video in most cases (and try to find the part that's relevant to me) but articles are harder and harder to come by it seems... everything is video now even trying to get the news often just sends you to a video clip.  Yeah... again... old.

i guess that's what aging does to you

:pinch:

It does. When you age you become an old fart who just want to complain about everything and not talk to anybody ;)

I'm joking i'm close to 40 myself and don't have time for all those stupid features the new consoles have.

I don't get it either but I'm over 40 so yeah... old.

I have a 14 year old nephew though that I don't think even plays games anymore without broadcasting it on twitch.  Random people actually give him money which is insane to me.  I can't even watch my own nephew play for any lentgh of time let alone a complete stranger.  The entire concept of watching someone else play a game is completely foreign to me.  As others have said I've watched short videos here and there for how to get past point X you're stuck at but that's about it.  Even then I prefer reading an article then having to watch a video in most cases (and try to find the part that's relevant to me) but articles are harder and harder to come by it seems... everything is video now even trying to get the news often just sends you to a video clip.  Yeah... again... old.

You got to play a game competitively to understand.

I don't play wow anymore but i used to play a lot back in the WOTLK and Cata days. At the end of cata we were first on the server and top 2000 on wow progress. We streamed or nights and there was always around 20 people to watch just to see what we did differently or to see content they could not see with their own group or even just to support the guild. When we had trouble downing a boss we watched the stream of a guild in front of us in wow progress to see what they were doing. It's useful to watch different strategies and play style.

You got to play a game competitively to understand.

I don't play wow anymore but i used to play a lot back in the WOTLK and Cata days. At the end of cata we were first on the server and top 2000 on wow progress. We streamed or nights and there was always around 20 people to watch just to see what we did differently or to see content they could not see with their own group or even just to support the guild. When we had trouble downing a boss we watched the stream of a guild in front of us in wow progress to see what they were doing. It's useful to watch different strategies and play style.

Well back in the day I used to run a City or Heroes/Villains guild and we were in the top rankings on our server for a while.  We never watched streams (not even sure they existed then, rofl) nor did we stream (we did have a shoutcast radio station and a teamspeak server, rofl).  I guess I could see how there would be value is watching others to see different strategies and such but that doesn't change the fact I have no desire to do it.  I'm sure there's value in going line by line through accounting documents too but it's not my idea of a good time and games are supposed to be about having a good time.

I guess the difference is that I play games for entertainment, not just to win.  I'd rather do not so well at a game but have fun doing it than DESTROY a game and have it be even a mild chore.  I don't get off on bragging to others how well I did or broadcasting my leet skills for the world to see.  I just don't have that narcissim gene at all... again... old.  Also to me learning and developing new strategies the trial and error is part of the fun, if you watch a video and just copy what they did then it lessens the experience in my opinion.  I feel bad, like I'm cheating, on those few occasions I have had to go look how to get past X because I'm stuck so it takes many failures at the same spot before I get to that point.

Is there a community set up for Neowin yet?  AB get on that.

Andy set one up. Obviously thought you weren't important enough for an invite :p I'll invite you later. Although you might not need an invite, unsure. Go to my PSN profile and see if you can join the community.

I have applied for membership, and eagerly await approval and validation of my existence on PSN, Neowin, et al.

Denied. Too many platinum trophies.

I'm sure Andy will accept *wink* *nudge* :p

I don't care about the social stuff either but that seems to be the way the winds are blowing. Sony has to keep up or otherwise their rivals will leave them behind.

Storage bump is nice.

Not a lot to care about but at least they haven't managed to make anything worse in the process. That's always my fear with big updates. If all you want to do is play games and chat to your friends, there isn't much else Sony needs to add.

• DrunknMunky pinned this topic

New for 3.10

• You can now follow verified accounts of games as well as verified accounts of people and companies that are associated with games. When you follow these accounts, you can keep track of their activities in [What’s New]. Select [Follow] in the profile screen of the verified account.
  • A new sticker has been added to system-updates-messages-2-icon-01-us-28s (Messages).

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

For that first bullet point:

PS4 System Software 3.10: Here’s a List of Verified Developers You Can Now Follow

PlayStation

Shuhei Yoshida (President of Sony’s Worldwide Studios)
        PSN: Yosp (North American PSN)
        PSN: GameApe2001 (Japanese PSN)
    Mark Cerny (PS4 Lead Architect)
        PSN: Marcus
    Adam Boyes (VP of Publisher & Developer Relations)
        PSN: DaBooya
    Gio Corsi (Director of Third Party Production & Developer Relations at PlayStation)
        PSN: EasyRhino43
    John Drake (Director of Portfolio Strategy at PlayStation)
        PSN: TheJohnDrake
    Scott Rohde (Senior VP for Sony Worldwide Studios America)
        PSN: TonyGwynn
    Sid Shuman (PlayStation Blogcast)
        PSN: shumanji
    Justin Massongill (PlayStation Blogcast)
        PSN: j00zt1n
    Nick Suttner (Has relations with developers.)
        PSN: rocksolidaudio
    Chris Owen (PlayStation Europe Community Manager)
        PSN: Envisager
    Ross Thoroughgood (PlayStation Community Coordinator)
        PSN: LordRoss
    The Frannifer (PlayStation Plus Community Coordinator)
        PSN: Cjarsa

First Party

Stuart Platt (Producer for SHAREfactory)
        PSN: pid
    Mohammed Khan (Project Lead for SHAREfactory)
        PSN: Kubla
    /u/nolliethebum (Sony Santa Monica External Community Manager)
        PSN: olliethebum
    Aaron Kaufman (Sony Santa Monica Senior Community Strategist)
        PSN: Just–Tank
    Nathan Gary (Creative Director at Santa Monica Studios)
        PSN: Cichli_Suite
    Neil Druckmann (Director at Naughty Dog)
        PSN: DrUckmann
    Christophe Balestra (Naughty Dog Director)
        PSN: telletophe
    Arne Meyer (Community Manager of Naughty Dog)
        PSN: arne
    Jason Paul (Web Developer at Naughty Dog)
        PSN: jmpaul
    Mark Norris (Senior Producer at Guerrilla)
        PSN : deathstryker
    Paul Rustchynsky (Director of DRIVECLUB)
        PSN: Rushy
    Jamie Brayshaw (DRIVECLUB Community Manager)
        PSN: Phenom_Evolution
    Evolution Studios (Drive Club Makers)
        PSN: EvolutionStudios

Third-Party

Pete Hines (PR/Community at Bethesda)
        PSN: DCDeacon
    Sarah Wellock (Community Manager at Bethesda)
        PSN: rikkusarah
    Neil Gorton (Community Manager at Capcom)
        PSN: LondonCalling09
    Stewart Gilray (Business Development and Founder of Just Add Water ltd.)
        PSN: Gilrod
    Mike Bithell (Creator of Thomas Was Alone and Volume)
        PSN: Biffikins

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Polonium said:

ahhh, but have you actually ever played with him and spoken?

Just on twitter :( But at the start Shu replied to everyone on twitter, then he got popular.

• DrunknMunky unpinned this topic