Microsoft needs to get Google apps on Windows 10 somehow

Now that the Microsoft's event have come and gone, the rumor that Google would bring its apps to Windows 10 has failed to bear fruit, I have to say that I am very disappointed.

Microsoft needs to get Google apps on Windows 10 somehow.

I know that Microsoft has apps equivalent to those apps and there are also third party apps for Google services, but doesn't make not having Google apps palatable.

My gf has an iPhone, but like some many other, don't use many apps. She only uses brand name apps and doesn't use any obscure apps, but she expects Google apps (Google Maps, YouTube, etc.) to be there.

Sure, there are third party apps available (some superior), but she wouldn't give the platform a second look unless those official Google apps are there.

Sure, "Hyper for YouTube" may be great app, but change is hard.

My other housemates feel the same way.

The third parties have done a great job filling the void. It would probably draw more people to the ecosystem if Google were present, though personally I try to stay away from Google as much as I can. Bing does what I need for search and I think Google is big enough. I only use YouTube heavily and the third party apps get it done for me.

That said, if Google apps will bring people to Windows 10, I'm all for it.

• Like 2

For me is meh. I don't see a point of doing this anyways on PC when I have Yandex (Russian browser based on Chrome). I also don't use Bing services on PC as an app. The only app I use is Xbox and the games I play on it

I'd rather have it for Windows Phone not the PC..

Hello,

Given the competition that exists between Google and Microsoft in this space, I don't see that happening unless things change.

On the other hand, your girlfriend and roommates can get Microsoft Office for Apple, Android and Windows mobile devices at https://products.office.com/en-us/mobile/office, and Microsoft Office is certainly a mainstream app.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Agreed. People like us know where to get alternatives, and which ones are good.
But people like my girlfriend, want the official apps, and that's not going to change any time soon, no matter how much i try and educate her :p

I actually reckon we'll see Google apps slowly trickling over to MS stuff. No evidence to back that up, just a feeling.