Do you participate in game betas?

Go the idea from here: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/10/07/reader-discussion-do-you-participate-in-the-beta.aspx

I thought it was a good topic for discussion. I got a code for the latest Need for Speed beta. I downloaded it but only played about 15 mins. God, the live acting was horrible. Anyway, I usually don't bother with betas, hell, I rarely buy games day one because I anticipate bugs.

Occasionally. The main reason I would avoid it would be not wanting the be tired of it/see the game spoilers before even going live. I do enjoy participating in the feedback process and discussions, though.

I do, mainly for two reason. 

Feedback is fairly important to a lot of developers, polish up that game before release. 

Secondly, to see if the game is worth buying. :p It seems we've removed the release of demos now , so the only way to get a true feel if the game is any good (besides reviews) are through betas. A few games that I played either encouraged me to buy or put me off.

Not any more. Although games are about the only thing i don't test.

I see it like watching a movie before it's finished, which kind of ruins the final movie/game for me.

I try to get interested in betas but it depends how much else I'm doing and whether or not it's just a multiplayer thing.

A lot of them seem like a waste of time, since I'm not a huge MP guy.

Back in the day before crowd funding and such I had the privileged of being in a few closed betas (i.e. not open to the general public, and not pay for beta).

Those days have long passed now, I refuse to PAY to be in a beta (or "early access".)  I do kickstart A LOT of games now (over 100 and growing) at levels that grant me alpha/beta access (I don't back them FOR alpha/beta access, it just so happens that in giving them what I'm willing to pledge that it also includes such access) and I've found that I have no desire to deal with all the bugs and possibly spoil the story of the game as they work out the kinks.  Also typically such large betas aren't really betas in the old style as most of the people in them are there just to play the game early and not honestly try to help find bugs so even if you were to try to contribute it's hard for the developers to hear you above the noise of the masses just looking for a head start.

So now even when I have access to alpha/beta releases I tend to wait to play the games until the official launch.  Heck with Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin they announced the Director's Cut and Enhanced Editions before I got to them and so I've held of playing them even after official release until they upgraded versions launch since they're a free upgrade.

Back in the day, when you would buy a computer magazine, once in a while you'd get a cool game demo disc included.  Being I was on a 386SX (no Math CP) with a 2400 baud MODEM, downloading wasn't an option.  Not that I would have known how or where to get anything.  This was the early 90's.  I would play demos back then but not so much now due to things like Steam and Origin giving easy access to games.

I do with VMC as you get real game betas, not "multiplayer demos" a few weeks before a games been released.

With VMC you actually get to test unannounced games in your free time at home, give feedback and see the game progress in development. In addition you get paid for for time you spend testing too. These are not little indie games too, their AAA titles from the big studios.

You do have to sign an NDA so I can't tell you any of the games i've been testing, however all i'll say is i've been playing some major Xbox One games before they have been announced, some of which are still not currently released today.

It's not always fun though, sometimes you literally have to spend two hours matchmaking, then quitting a game when you have matched and repeating the process again, which is mind numbingly boring. However the trade off is that other times you get to spend a Sunday afternoon playing play single / multiplayer on currently unreleased games.

I don't do the short beta games anymore... unless they have beta testing more longer instead of weekend only... too short for me.

I rather have beta testing for a month or so, so I could what it is all about before I decide to buy or not... If so I can buy a game and play some more for map exploration or something like that.

Secondly, to see if the game is worth buying. :p It seems we've removed the release of demos now , so the only way to get a true feel if the game is any good (besides reviews) are through betas. A few games that I played either encouraged me to buy or put me off.

Beta is just a new name for demos. The games on demo discs used to be parts of unfinished games, the only difference is that betas are generally online capable.

Well, there is beta, then there is stress testing. Most "open beta" and some invite betas are just server performance and hardware compatibility, for which they need a lot of very concentrated testing.

Not that it really matters - most companies release what would have been betas then patch it up later.

I still hop on any MMO Beta I can get an invite for, I like testing them, but that's about it, it does help the game devs out and you get a feel for the game and can decide to pay for it later, so a free demo