PC turning off when loading/playing demanding games

So here's the deal, my computer will shutdown like you've pulled the power cord from the wall.  It does this mostly when loading/playing a demanding game at 4k resolution (DayZ, GTA 4, FF XXIV) but has happened once when I was watching a YouTube video.  This seemed to start when I got my 4k monitor, coming from 3x 1920x1080 (5760x1080).  Things I've tried so far in no particular order-

• Take apart computer and clean it
  • Disconnected everything but the video card, SSDs and MB/CPU
  • Bought a new MB
  • Reset the BIOS with no overclock and everything on Auto
  • Under-clocked the RAM to 1600MHz
  • Installed the latest drivers when I reinstalled Windows 7
  • Cleaned and added new thermal paste for the CPU (AS 5)
  • Cleaned the GPU and reapplied thermal paste (helped temps a lot but not the problem, AS 5)
  • Under-volted and under-clocked the GPU
  • Ran an extension cord from another room with a different surge protector for a different power source
  • Checked PSU voltages in BIOS, all looked normal and within spec
  • Ran Windows 7 memory test twice, passed twice
  • Ran Intel CPU diagnostic software twice, all passed both times
  • Set a more aggressive fan profile in Afterburner

My temps when max CPU load is around 65 degrees C and 35 C at idle with an ambient room temp of about 80 degrees Fahrenheit (26.66 C) right now.  My GPU when running DayZ at 4k hit 66 C when before it was almost touching 80 C.  I thought I fixed the problem as DayZ was playable but as soon as I clicked exit to leave the game, my PC shut off again.  I know pairing a 4k monitor with a GTX 760 is asking a lot of this GPU, but once I got the temps down, it still didn't fix it.  I've noticed that if I turn the settings down, I can play mostly with no issues.  The same goes for less demanding games that don't have 4k as an option; I can play for hours with no issues.   A new video card is on my shopping list but I'm not ready to drop 700-1000 bucks on a video card that can really push this monitor.  I was planning on a new PSU in the next year or so as I know this one is getting old and I'm using adapters for some of my hard drives.  The PSU is about 6-7 years old now.

So what do you guys think?  What should I do next?

Specs-

• ASrock Z77 Extreme 4 Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.0GHz right now
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
  • EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked Edition 2GB RAM
  • SeaSonic X650 Gold PSU
  • 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB in RAID 0
  • DVD RW drive
  • 9 platter drives from 500GB to 2TB in size
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Upstar 4k 28" monitor
  • 2x 1920x1080 monitors running off the iGPU

Thanks for reading.

Blow out any dust, especially in the video card fan / power supply fan.
Possibly check the thermal paste / grease on the video card.
Possible video card / power supply failure. 

Could start the upgrade process with just buying the video card, and new psu to get you back up and running.
Then buy the rest of the parts over time. 

Your power supply is undersized for that build.

This was my first thought.  I unplugged all my drives save the SSDs to see if just powering the video card, MB/CPU would work.  It didn't.  The GTX 760 isn't really power hungry, unless the PSU is getting too old to power it anymore...

I'm looking at the Seasonic X750 Gold.  Is 750 watts enough you think?  Or should I just go with the X850 just to be sure?

Blow out any dust, especially in the video card fan / power supply fan.
Possibly check the thermal paste / grease on the video card.
Possible video card / power supply failure. 

Could start the upgrade process with just buying the video card, and new psu to get you back up and running.
Then buy the rest of the parts over time. 

I cleaned everything.  New thermal paste on CPU and GPU.  The GPU temps are not bad at all now but still shuts off. 

1. any message in the event log?

2. try underclock CPU

3. run Memtest

4. update chipset drivers and others

5. with drives disconnected the power is large enuff but it might be degraded so open it up and inspect closely with a magnifying glass for any large  capacitors with a pinhole or not 100% perfectly flat on top.

-----

You are missing the fact there is no power off mechanism in Windows for overheating to cause power to shut off like that.

A) Power supply internally can decide  to do that

B) extreme CPU temp should be impossible unless you have unwisely turned off CPU throttling in BIOS as part of misguided overclock strategy

C) and less likely bad RAM or Drivers could cause a bad jump to shutdown code...

D) Absolutely no way for GPU overheating to cause power off - BSOD maybe.

Event log from DayZ this morning when it last crashed:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          10/14/2015 11:38:05 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:  (removed)  
Description:
Faulting application name: DayZ.exe, version: 0.58.129.488, time stamp: 0x55f2a8fe
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18933, time stamp: 0x55a69e20
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003d968
Faulting process id: 0x814
Faulting application start time: 0x01d106af4e068520
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\DayZ.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: b471fab3-72a2-11e5-80ca-001a7dda7113
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-10-14T18:38:05.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>3537</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>(removed)</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>DayZ.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.58.129.488</Data>
    <Data>55f2a8fe</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.18933</Data>
    <Data>55a69e20</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>0003d968</Data>
    <Data>814</Data>
    <Data>01d106af4e068520</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\DayZ.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>b471fab3-72a2-11e5-80ca-001a7dda7113</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

That log points to ntdll.dll which is for your graphics card drivers.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/programs-close-faulting-module-ntdlldll/54aaaec5-2b53-4e9f-b9a7-b7889a1cd4b6?auth=1

I would suggest trying different/older drivers.

Would a faulty driver (more than two different ones I've tried) cause a complete shutdown? 

Would a faulty driver (more than two different ones I've tried) cause a complete shutdown? 

Just a guess but it could if the driver is causing the card to overheat and its shutting down as a safeguard. Drivers, especially nvidia drivers have been known to do that. 

Can you look in the windows event viewer and see what it's saying is happening, if anything?

Opening event viewer: start > control panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

You'll want to look in Windows Logs > System.

[/quote]

I had a series of NVidia drivers cause my desktop (560Ti) to power off abruptly (not correlated with any activity as far as I could tell) and generate a hypertransport sync error when I started it back up.

Thought it was the power supply going dead. Bad drivers can be real bad.

Just a guess but it could if the driver is causing the card to overheat and its shutting down as a safeguard. Drivers, especially nvidia drivers have been known to do that. 

Can you look in the windows event viewer and see what it's saying is happening, if anything?

Opening event viewer: start > control panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

You'll want to look in Windows Logs > System.

After I did Arctic Silver 5 to the GPU the temps went down by about 15 degrees C.  I don't think it's overheating, I did think that before I took it apart but running DayZ @ 4k only got the temps up to 66 C.  It was hitting almost 80 before I cleaned the GPU.

Could the Intel Drivers for the iGPU cause a conflict with the GTX 760?

After I did Arctic Silver 5 to the GPU the temps went down by about 15 degrees C.  I don't think it's overheating, I did think that before I took it apart but running DayZ @ 4k only got the temps up to 66 C.  It was hitting almost 80 before I cleaned the GPU.

Okay. Well your error log still suggests it has something to do with your gpu. The temp thing is just something that was a widespread problem with nvidia drivers in the past.

Look in the event viewer as I suggested and see what that's saying. After that all you can do is go back and try older (or possibly newer) drivers. 

Okay. Well your error log still suggests it has something to do with your gpu. The temp thing is just something that was a widespread problem with nvidia drivers in the past.

Look in the event viewer as I suggested and see what that's saying. After that all you can do is go back and try older (or possibly newer) drivers. 

Here's one about it powering off-

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          10/14/2015 11:47:46 AM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      (removed)
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-10-14T18:47:46.438815700Z" />
    <EventRecordID>12879</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>(removed)</Computer>
    <Security UserID="(removed)" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

People, it really wouldn't hurt to apply Occam's Razer.

You are creating a complicated scenario around GPU over-heating to somehow invoke secret code in the NVIDIA driver to somehow instantly shut down the computer pwer supply.

It's possible, but so is "my power supply was hacked by the NSA"

How about something simpler and actually possible like the 4K originally caused a bit more power draw from a power supply close to the edge.

I cant believe you are able to do 4K gaming with a 760GTX

If you aren't seeing thermal protection shutdown in event logs you can rule out overheating in the system, not the GPU
However, in the logs, if you click on System - you should at the very least see unplanned power loss from the Kernel - or unexpected restart/reboot

My first thought was PSU - a bad 12V rail maybe ?  That thing is old and has been pushing a ton of hardware for a while -

Only way to be sure is to pop in another one and see if the issue continues - process of elimination :/

Are you overvolting the CPU to reach 4.0 ghz?

Your Seasonic power supply is such a good unit that I have trouble pointing fingers at it.

There just is not a good technical reason for the video card to cause an immediate power shutdown. There is nothing in the design of a PC that does that.

People, it really wouldn't hurt to apply Occam's Razer.

You are creating a complicated scenario around GPU over-heating to somehow invoke secret code in the NVIDIA driver to somehow instantly shut down the computer pwer supply.

It's possible, but so is "my power supply was hacked by the NSA"

How about something simpler and actually possible like the 4K originally caused a bit more power draw from a power supply close to the edge.

I'm going to order a new PSU on Friday.

I cant believe you are able to do 4K gaming with a 760GTX

If you aren't seeing thermal protection shutdown in event logs you can rule out overheating in the system, not the GPU
However, in the logs, if you click on System - you should at the very least see unplanned power loss from the Kernel - or unexpected restart/reboot

My first thought was PSU - a bad 12V rail maybe ?  That thing is old and has been pushing a ton of hardware for a while -

Only way to be sure is to pop in another one and see if the issue continues - process of elimination :/

Tell me about it.  I was REALLY surprised to see how well it does at 4k.  AA and other things are on low or off... but it plays.  And it looks GREAT... when it works.  lol

I'm going to order a new Seasonic PSU on Friday.  I was looking at the X750 Gold.  Do you guys think that's enough?  Or should I spring for the X850 Gold?

Are you overvolting the CPU to reach 4.0 ghz?

Your Seasonic power supply is such a good unit that I have trouble pointing fingers at it.

There just is not a good technical reason for the video card to cause an immediate power shutdown. There is nothing in the design of a PC that does that.

No overvolt. VCore is at 1.26.  give or take.  I should mention that this happens with no overclock and everything in the BIOS on Auto or even if I fine tune it.  Makes no difference.

Your power supply is undersized for that build.

I disagree.  I doubt you hit 500 watts max during full load.  He's not using every device to full load at the same time, its actually pretty hard, the system will come to its knees.

Complete shutdown is from the system being shorted and powering off to protect itself or because of an incorrect voltage.  I would guess it is the PSU or a device that is shorting.  That would be the GPU most likely but the thing is you don't seem to have issues but being powered off correct?  That's a short or a protect mode in the PSU.  It is generally rare to have a device shorting.  I used to see DVD drives do that when they would go bad, but not so much with HDD or SDD.

I disagree.  I doubt you hit 500 watts max during full load.  He's not using every device to full load at the same time, its actually pretty hard, the system will come to its knees.

Complete shutdown is from the system being shorted and powering off to protect itself or because of an incorrect voltage.  I would guess it is the PSU or a device that is shorting.  That would be the GPU most likely but the thing is you don't seem to have issues but being powered off correct?  That's a short or a protect mode in the PSU.  It is generally rare to have a device shorting.  I used to see DVD drives do that when they would go bad, but not so much with HDD or SDD.

The MB was changed out and was doing this before.  The system was running great until I got the 4k monitor.  Even games running at 5760x1080 would play and would not shut off.  I hope/think it's the PSU and we'll all know soon enough as I'm not going to wait till Friday to order it.  I'll do it tonight after I've picked either the X750 or X850.  Oh and I'm updating the OP with my full specs for a better understanding of my power usage.  The only thing that seems to trigger it is demanding video.  Which causes the most power draw... 

Edit, Since I can't edit the OP (?) here's a few things I left out-

• Antec 1200 Case
  • 5x 120mm case fans
  • 1x 200mm case fan
  • Sound Blaster XFI Titanium
  • PCI SATA Controller w/4 SATA 2.0 ports
Edited by Open Minded

You could always try unplugging all your extra drives to get the load down to see if it makes a difference.

It could be some compatibility issue with the monitor and the card.

That was the first thing I did.  I unplugged everything from the modular PSU and only the SSDs, MB/CPU and video card were plugged in.  Same result.

"It could be some compatibility issue with the monitor and the card"  got me thinking.  If I turn off my monitor and leave the computer on, Windows 7 makes the "disconnected hardware" sound.  I have the monitor connected using DisplayPort.  Is it normal for Windows to think hardware has been removed if I turn the monitor off with the computer still on?   This is my first rodeo with DisplayPort and I don't know if that's normal behavior.  Anyone?

Whats the price diff between 750 and 850 ?
Is the price difference justified in your budget ?
In my opinion - PSU power is like battery backup strength - overkill just gives added peace of mind.
I have the Seasonic 1KW Platinum - dont need it - but its something I dont have to worry about.

Just looked on amazon - the difference between the 750 and the 850 is $30.  ($159 for the 850 Gold)

That was the first thing I did.  I unplugged everything from the modular PSU and only the SSDs, MB/CPU and video card were plugged in.  Same result.

"It could be some compatibility issue with the monitor and the card"  got me thinking.  If I turn off my monitor and leave the computer on, Windows 7 makes the "disconnected hardware" sound.  I have the monitor connected using DisplayPort.  Is it normal for Windows to think hardware has been removed if I turn the monitor off with the computer still on?   This is my first rodeo with DisplayPort and I don't know if that's normal behavior.  Anyone?

Yes, Windows will do that with DisplayPort - I ran into that same exact thing - when I thought it was buggy - I switched over to HDMI - then when I saw a FW update for the DisplayPort on my 1440 monitor - I went back to DisplayPort.