Macbook Pro and Linux Support

Hi everyone,

I've been using Ubuntu on my 13in retina Macbook Pro exclusively (removed OS X completely) for 2 years now. Am interested if anyone is using any other distributions of Linux on apple hardware and if so whats it like? 

Incase anyone is interested Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10 seem to run pretty good with Full Retina resolutions, WiFi, bluetooth and hot-swappable Thunderbolt ethernet, and the media function keys work (at least in the major DE's, i3wm took some scripting)

You must mean 15.04 and 15.10, respectively.

15.10 will have the updated "goodie" features and therefore will do better.

Your right I do mean 15.10 - Just foreseeing into the future with my post :) 

• Like 1

Hehe ... :D

Mac *everything* runs Linux extremely well. And because your machine is 2 years old (or 3?), the driver support will be very good.

I *do* recommend that you use 15.10 when it's available. It'll have the most current drivers available for your hardware out-of-the-box. Using Linux Mint 17.2 (the current version), you'll likely have to add the xorg-edgers ppa to get an Nvidia driver that'll work with it if your Macbook has Nvidia graphics. That's what I have to do in order to get a 3D driver installed for my Windforce 750TI.

• Like 1

That's what I have to do in order to get a 3D driver installed for my Windforce 750TI.

Same here. He recommended it to me :p

Liking my new NVIDIA card on here :D

• Like 1

It's a decent card, that. Now that the 950 is out for the same price I paid for the 750ti (and almost double the horsepower) when I bought into it, I believe it's getting time for another upgrade. ;)

Ahh the march of technology ...