Am thinking of getting Netflix? Should I buy a streaming player or a new BD player?

Am thinking of getting Netflix? Should I buy a streaming player or a new BD player?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this already but... why not both in one device?

I would just say get a cheap PS3 from your local gaming store. You should be able to pick one up for less than 50 bucks now even if its 2nd hand. 
Or if you have the cash to spend, a PS4 would do the same, if not a better job with 4K Netflix compatibility.
It has BluRay already, has software updates often, has a great Netflix app and it even has other streaming apps as well should you decide later on to go down that route. 

Rip your BD titles buy a Roku3/4 and Plex, there, you are all set with the best of the best, connect an OFF-AIR antenna and it's a done deal.

Ok, never mind guys. I'm not going with Netflix after all. After I looked at their website, it's actually $8 for SD streaming. If you want HD, you need to pay an extra $2 a month (i.e. $10 total per month). That puts a whole new light on things. I probably will not consider it now because that increases my annual cost from $96 to $120. Big difference there.

Where are you at, I just looked at my plan and its 7 a month with HD..

netflixplan.png

netflixplan.png

Yes but Netflix is increasing the plan for new customers based on this article here:

https://www.neowin.net/news/netflix-raises-the-price-of-its-standard-plan-by-1-per-month

Not sure if DaDude is new subscriber or not.  If he cancelled the plan, then he lost low price plan. So, if he goes back and activates his subscription, he gets new price plan.

netflixplan.png

Your plan is grandfathered and will increase in about a year or so. not sure. they gave old users 2 years from the first price hike. 

I am at 11.99 a month, but I can have 3 screens going on at a time.  One in boys room, one in girls room, one in my room, maybe one downstairs or one in the kitchen.  Oh an I completely cut the cord, I am only paying for internet access.

But 7.99 for 2 screens isn't the worst.

If you have an issue with that consider amazon prime.  It is 99.99 for the year 100/12=8.33 a month.  Plus you get other prime benefits, like prime music and 2 day free expedited shipping.

Yes but Netflix is increasing the plan for new customers based on this article here:

https://www.neowin.net/news/netflix-raises-the-price-of-its-standard-plan-by-1-per-month

Not sure if DaDude is new subscriber or not.  If he cancelled the plan, then he lost low price plan. So, if he goes back and activates his subscription, he gets new price plan.

I never subscribed to Netflix before. I'm a Netflix virgin. :D

So, that explains why I'm charged the new rate. Anyways, I bought the Roku 2 yesterday and subscribed to Netflix. My first month is a free trial so I won't get charged until next month. So far, it's pretty good. So many good movies and TV shows to watch. It'll definitely keep me busy for a long time.

The main reason I'm going the Netflix route is to save money. And I say that weird statement because I tend to impulse buy a lot of DVDs and Blu-rays. When I go to Best Buy or even browse through Amazon, I see DVDs and Blu-rays on sale and I'll just blind buy it and will be like, "This looks like a cool show and I heard a lot of great reviews on it! Since this is on sale for such a great deal, let me buy it and check it out!" I do this all the time and now my shelf is full of movies and TV shows that I paid good money for, most of which were watched only once.

With Netflix, I'm paying only $10 a month and hopefully, this will stop me from impulse buying at the store since Netflix will supposedly keep me entertained and thus, would have no need to go out and buy movies and shows anymore. Like I said, 90% of the titles I buy, I watch only once. So, I don't really need to own everything I watch. And also, I don't have to hoard so many DVDs and Blu-rays anymore. So, I'm hoping.... just hoping that Netflix is going to save me a lot of money in the long run and also, prevent me from accumulating so much junk around the house. That is why I subscribed to Netflix. If it doesn't work, I will cancel.

• Like 2

I never subscribed to Netflix before. I'm a Netflix virgin. :D

So, that explains why I'm charged the new rate. Anyways, I bought the Roku 2 yesterday and subscribed to Netflix. My first month is a free trial so I won't get charged until next month. So far, it's pretty good. So many good movies and TV shows to watch. It'll definitely keep me busy for a long time.

The main reason I'm going the Netflix route is to save money. And I say that weird statement because I tend to impulse buy a lot of DVDs and Blu-rays. When I go to Best Buy or even browse through Amazon, I see DVDs and Blu-rays on sale and I'll just blind buy it and will be like, "This looks like a cool show and I heard a lot of great reviews on it! Since this is on sale for such a great deal, let me buy it and check it out!" I do this all the time and now my shelf is full of movies and TV shows that I paid good money for, most of which were watched only once.

With Netflix, I'm paying only $10 a month and hopefully, this will stop me from impulse buying at the store since Netflix will supposedly keep me entertained and thus, would have no need to go out and buy movies and shows anymore. Like I said, 90% of the titles I buy, I watch only once. So, I don't really need to own everything I watch. And also, I don't have to hoard so many DVDs and Blu-rays anymore. So, I'm hoping.... just hoping that Netflix is going to save me a lot of money in the long run and also, prevent me from accumulating so much junk around the house. That is why I subscribed to Netflix. If it doesn't work, I will cancel.

Nice, make sure you check out the Netflix Originals like Orange is the New Black, Daredevil, House of Cards and Sens8.

Also have a search of there web, I've only got the sites for the UK not US, but you can get sites that tell you whats arriving over the next few months and whats going in the next few weeks, so you need to watch quickly.

Nice, make sure you check out the Netflix Originals like Orange is the New Black, Daredevil, House of Cards and Sens8.

Also have a search of there web, I've only got the sites for the UK not US, but you can get sites that tell you whats arriving over the next few months and whats going in the next few weeks, so you need to watch quickly.

Well, we don't want him to ragequit netflix right away out of terrible boredom. 

Roku FTW <3 I got a RokuTV, Roku 3, and a Roku 1. all have been solid players... very cheap too. Constant improvements, excellent customer support and responsiveness, and a killer easy user interface. Also uses very solid broadcom based wireless radios and SoCs.

I also pay only 6/mo for 3 TVs. for NF (had it for nearly 4 years tho LOL ) :) I also love MGO as well... no mon thly and more bleeding edged selection compared to other services like hulu, vudu, and amazon instant (non-prime)

I got netflix for $10 a month, it's for 4 devices so it can be split with 4 people which means it's just $2,50. Though I'm still looking for peopel to split the bill with.

And I'm using https://tvunblock.com/ to get rid of any regional restrictions with netflix, spotify and crunchyroll :D

If this is anything like HOLA! Avoid it! They steal your b/w, turn your system into a FULL EXIT NODE (meaning others can use your machine as a proxy to illegal content and you can get busted) and the software massively exploits your system!

If this is anything like HOLA! Avoid it! They steal your b/w, turn your system into a FULL EXIT NODE (meaning others can use your machine as a proxy to illegal content and you can get busted) and the software massively exploits your system!

It's a dns server, which has no possible way of access to your pc, it only resolves the correct ips for specific domain name requests, which in this case will always be american ips.

Well, we don't want him to ragequit netflix right away out of terrible boredom. 

OITNB is amazing, how can you think its boring?...

It's a dns server, which has no possible way of access to your pc, it only resolves the correct ips for specific domain name requests, which in this case will always be american ips.

Good

OITNB is amazing, how can you think its boring?...

Oh I dunno. because it is. The trailers made it seem like it could be fun. I think me and my ex got through somewhere between one third to half the first episodes before we collectively decided to find something actually entertaining and not dreadfully boring to watch. apparently an entire season's worth of slightly funny moments was put in the trailer. 

• 10 months later...
On 10/19/2015 at 8:47 AM, philcruicks said:

If your current blu-ray player is failing get a new blu-ray player would be my advice.

LG and Samsung offer a lot of apps as on their players Netflix, well as YouTube, BBC iPlayer and things if your in the UK etc...

Most Samsung BD players include the same SmartHub functions found in their Smart TVs (4K and non-4K, as well as both curved and flat); the SmartHub supports Netflix, HuluPlus, and Amazon Video as well.  We have two Smart TVs; however, the smaller of the two has a SmartHub issue (but ONLY with the Amazon Video app; the larger 55 inch HDTV with the same function is fine).

Due to the issue being with that one app on the 40-inch, it has NOT scared us away from either Samsung or SmartHub; in fact, we're looking at at LEAST two more Smart TVs (both 4K; one curved and one flat).

Both are, in fact, straight upgrades, replacing existing flat HDTVs; the curved model is going into the kitchen (replacing a 32" Emerson HDTV); the flat model will go either in my bedroom (replacing my existing Sony BX450 on its wall-mount) or in the master bedroom's sitting room (replacing a 32" D-model Samsung non-Smart HDTV).

Curved: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN40K6250AFXZA

Flat: http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/40-class-ku6300-6-series-4k-uhd-tv-2016-model-un40ku6300fxza/

The curved model is indeed a closeout (Wal-Mart is closing them out as the model has been discontinued, as Samsung no longer makes a 40-inch curved model in the 6000-series; it's either go larger or go one series up).