What you don't like about Android (in general)?

I got burned on the Thunderboltt, so I guess I have more of an issue with HTC.

Like other things (game consoles, graphics cards, browsers, etc), I just have the personal choice to run on the Windows 10 ecosystem, which I think is better than the Android offerings.

The one thing I really hate about it is the inconsistency in updates across vendors and devices.

Yep, that is really my only problem with it as well.  I obviously understand that older devices can not be upgraded to latest versions of Android x.x ... but (using Stagefright as an example) waiting 2 months for a security patch is a bit underwhelming.  

• Like 2

Actually everything listed on that page summarizes the disadvantages to the Android ecosystem. It does have some advantages over the competition though: 1) Unique devices - no other mobile OS has a plethora of devices that suits everyone's needs. 2) Customization - no other mobile OS allows the level of customization that Android does. 3) Deep Google integration - sure you can get Google apps on iOS, but they are no where as deeply integrated as Android.

At the end of the day, it's just another mobile OS. Use what you like, and let's move on with our lives.

Yep, that is really my only problem with it as well.  I obviously understand that older devices can not be upgraded to latest versions of Android x.x ... but (using Stagefright as an example) waiting 2 months for a security patch is a bit underwhelming.  

Interesting that in the light of Stagefright that Google now has its own text messaging application:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

Not too sure how old that application is but I've never seen it on their in the past - I guess Google gradually replacing Android components with downloadable apps which should allow out of cycle updates for these sorts of applications.

Let's see

The SD card thing is pure nonsense, you can use one if you get a device that supports it, but in reality they are pointless in this era of 32,64, and 128gb devices pus cloud storage, same for the FS complaint, average user does not care about SD cards or aven use them on supported devices

Same with the update complaints, if you HAVE to have updates ASAP, get a Nexus device, manufacturers care about the money, not what's good for us

App update complaint is also dumb, either do the smart thing and enable auto install or don't and manually update, can't have it both ways. Also ads in apps wil never go away, BUY the app if possible or use an alternative, the beauty of Android is that you have options 

How is the ROM scene, which is optional if you want to dive into it, a complaint? If you choose to ge that route, find a slim ROM, think there is still a SlimROM being developed 

Country lockouts are not a Google or Apple problem, it's your country's problem 

The rest of the complaints are also dumb, if you want root level control, then root and get over it, the average user does not need Root and the inherent risks the same as most Windows user should not use Admin accounts, limited user accounts should be the norm for most

• Like 2

Interesting that in the light of Stagefright that Google now has its own text messaging application:

Not too sure how old that application is but I've never seen it on their in the past - I guess Google gradually replacing Android components with downloadable apps which should allow out of cycle updates for these sorts of applications.

I haven't seen that one either.  I do like Google's method of Google Play updating applications ... though I would not like two of the same basic program (in this case text messaging).  Just seems like a Band-Aid approach instead of fixing a bigger problem.  I do not know how many vulnerabilities are out there for Android ... but when some are uncovered how long will it take for companies (LG, Samsung, etc.) to release a patch?  In the case of Stagefright it took roughly 2 months for LG/Sprint to download the patch to my LG G2.  At least with Apple they are proactive and release updates very quickly...obviously it is an advantage that they only have a handful of devices to worry about.

With that said...I couldn't ever see myself switching to Apple or a Windows Phone.  I do love the 'droid.

My biggest hate of Android is the Android fanboys who make themselves look beyond stupid when telling others they are stupid for choosing anything other then Android. While they are just simple minded teenagers, they should be smarter then that to know that people have different criteria and tastes that vary from person to person.

wish list for android:

Equal quality video chat to facetime. ( i know its impossible and out of their control with different manufacturers)

Notifications like IOS.

Updates like IOS

Live Tiles like windows.

Speedy like IOS/Windows

That's about it for me.

I've found an interesting document listing Android problems - what's your take on it? What are you personal pet peeves?

That document is pretty inaccurate and even lists an issue with some apps that has nothing to do with Android itself. Which mobile OS is perfect again?

I haven't seen that one either.  I do like Google's method of Google Play updating applications ... though I would not like two of the same basic program (in this case text messaging).  Just seems like a Band-Aid approach instead of fixing a bigger problem.  I do not know how many vulnerabilities are out there for Android ... but when some are uncovered how long will it take for companies (LG, Samsung, etc.) to release a patch?  In the case of Stagefright it took roughly 2 months for LG/Sprint to download the patch to my LG G2.  At least with Apple they are proactive and release updates very quickly...obviously it is an advantage that they only have a handful of devices to worry about.

With that said...I couldn't ever see myself switching to Apple or a Windows Phone.  I do love the 'droid.

Sorry that is wrong... The standalone Messenger app existed well before Stagefright was a "thing".

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/12/google-messenger-app-android/

My biggest hate of Android is the Android fanboys who make themselves look beyond stupid when telling others they are stupid for choosing anything other then Android. Teenagers yes, but still they should be smarter then that.

I agree... I have never seen iOS or Windows fanboys bash Android ever. /s

Edited by oldtimefighter

I agree.. I have never seen iOS or Windows fanboys bash Android ever. /s

That too, but in my 10 years on tech sites, i have rarely seen it  happen.

That too, but in my 10 years on tech sites, i have rarely seen it  happen.

You haven't looked hard enough then, just here in Neowin it can get bad, it's worse in many other sites, fanboys in general are a problem with anything 

Sorry, I was not "wrong" because I never stated it didn't exist before Stagefright was a "thing".

Mr Nom Nom's was wrong but you didn't seem aware of Messenger (nor corrected him in your reply) so just included you for informational purposes (so would see my post).

Mr Nom Nom's was wrong but you didn't seem aware of Messenger (nor corrected him in your reply) so just included you for informational purposes (so would see my post).

Not sure why I had to?  I said that I didn't want multiple applications for basic function (in this case text messaging)...so I wasn't aware of this Google program simply because I've never looked up a text messaging alternative.  However, I most certainly didn't say it hadn't existed prior to x-time period.  

Edited by jjkusaf

Not sure why I had to?  Thought I had stated that I do not want multiple applications for basic function (in this case text messaging).

Who said you need to have multiple applications for texting?

Who said you need to have multiple applications for texting?

Not me...because I use the default app that came with the LG G2.  Though if I were to install the Google Messaging I would have multiple apps since I couldn't uninstall the one that came with the phone.

Not me...because I use the default app that came with the LG G2.  Though if I were to install the Google Messaging I would have multiple apps since I couldn't uninstall the one that came with the phone.

That would be the case with any phone or PC... I have never used the LG app but know the Samsung one sucks. That is the great thing about Android, choice!

Let's see

The SD card thing is pure nonsense, you can use one if you get a device that supports it, but in reality they are pointless in this era of 32,64, and 128gb devices pus cloud storage, same for the FS complaint, average user does not care about SD cards or aven use them on supported devices

Same with the update complaints, if you HAVE to have updates ASAP, get a Nexus device, manufacturers care about the money, not what's good for us

App update complaint is also dumb, either do the smart thing and enable auto install or don't and manually update, can't have it both ways. Also ads in apps wil never go away, BUY the app if possible or use an alternative, the beauty of Android is that you have options 

How is the ROM scene, which is optional if you want to dive into it, a complaint? If you choose to ge that route, find a slim ROM, think there is still a SlimROM being developed 

Country lockouts are not a Google or Apple problem, it's your country's problem 

The rest of the complaints are also dumb, if you want root level control, then root and get over it, the average user does not need Root and the inherent risks the same as most Windows user should not use Admin accounts, limited user accounts should be the norm for most

Maybe you're pure nonsense, huh?

1. 128GB devices are ridiculously expensive while the Internet connection in some places is pretty much non-existent. Besides there already are 256GB MicroSD card and no such phones.

2. I don't give a damn about what manufactures what - Google must take this situation under control. If that means manufactures only control the kernel and various firmware and Google the rest - so be it.

3. More often that not people prefer older versions of their apps because newer versions are NOT ALWAYS GOOD. It looks like you're an upgrade freak, I guess you vehemently love Windows 10 and its <beep> UI.

4. Custom ROMs: I don't see such a complaint in the article. What are you talking about?

5. Apps themselves should take care of that, not Google. Secondly, what about people traveling around? Oh, I guess you've never left your home soil. Good luck using Spotify abroad.

6. There are countless devices for which root is not available. There are countless apps which misuse your CPU/GPU resources and there's no way to throttle them.

That document is pretty inaccurate and even lists an issue with some apps that has nothing to do with Android itself. Which mobile OS is perfect again?

What is inaccurate? I guess I will see no arguments.

My biggest hate of Android is the Android fanboys who make themselves look beyond stupid when telling others they are stupid for choosing anything other then Android. While they are just simple minded teenagers, they should be smarter then that to know that people have different criteria and tastes that vary from person to person.

wish list for android:

Equal quality video chat to facetime. ( i know its impossible and out of their control with different manufacturers)

Notifications like IOS.

Updates like IOS

Live Tiles like windows.

Speedy like IOS/Windows

That's about it for me.

1) I agree

2) All I keep hearing is people wishing iOS notifications were more like android.

3) I agree we need better updates

4) .. just no

5) ... I think you need a better phone.. .my LG G3 32GB is snappy as hell. That being said, I do think iOS runs better on 1GB of ram.

• Like 2