Dreamweaver or Frontpage?  

282 members have voted

1. 1. Dreamweaver or Frontpage?

• Dreamweaver
    • Not sure
    • Frontpage

Question

What would you go for?

I personally like frontpage since its a lot less bloated and i don;t have to put up about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 floating toolbars and palletes and then disable the ones i don't want

I would of added notepad but that would of just fux0red dreamweaver and frontpage

Edited by Adnan248999

Hi,

Older versions of Dreamweaver used to complain when you tried to edit a file without making it part of a defined "site"; 2004 doesn't do this and makes it quite easy to edit an orphan file. Of all the issues Dreamweaver had, this was the most annoying, but now that is not an issue because Macromedia listens to its customers suggestions.

jay rod said he had issues working with ColdFusion; I have no such issue and work with ColdFusion almost daily. With older versions of Dreamweaver you had to update your tag library to take full advantage of ColdFusion, but 2004 is pretty well up to date with CF MX. Dreamweaver also respect my choice of design patterns and allows for MVC (Model, View, Controller) design without pitching a hissy or getting tied up in my framework.

Another great benefit of Dreamweaver is its extensibility. I am able to quickly make custom tools and toolbars such as my Fusebox 4 toolbar for specific use. Custom behaviors, commands, custom tools, and extensions are what developers need; not lame Microsoft themes and proprietary, restraining platform and technology dependencies.

Not knowing how to use a tool or not possessing the ability, time, or desire to learn how to use a tool is not a valid reason for proclaiming the tool "sux".

What ever happened to using a plan text editor?

Yes, notepad is so much better, I use it all the time :)

I used FrontPage 2000 in the old days when I was a n00b ;) because it is much easier (my opinion)

Used FrontPage from FP98 to FP 2003...

I'd much rather use Dreamweaver...

The only reason I still use FrontPage is because I'm not the only one that's going to be making changes to the page. There are 2 others, and with FrontPage, I and they can enter the web site URL and start editing right on the web. Dreamweaver, sadly, has to download everything to your hard drive.

But since I never do this with any site I do besides the one I do use it for, I never have to worry about this.

So, for me, the vote goes straight to Dreamweaver :)

Well after using Frontpage 2002 for a while, I changed to Dreamweaver, but now with the new Release of Frontpage 2003, I am starting to lean more towards it, I like using the split view so you can also optimize the code, which I might add that it is very easy to follow and understand

This is why Frontpage SUCKS:

can you guess what the output is ?

<html xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"

xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word"

xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>

<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

<meta name=ProgId content=Word.Document>

<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 9">

<meta name=Originator content="Microsoft Word 9">

<link rel=File-List href="./Hello%20World_files/filelist.xml">

<title>Hello World</title>

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>

<o:DocumentProperties>

<o:Author>josh</o:Author>

<o:Template>Normal</o:Template>

<o:LastAuthor>josh</o:LastAuthor>

<o:Revision>1</o:Revision>

<o:TotalTime>1</o:TotalTime>

<o:Created>2003-12-31T14:55:00Z</o:Created>

<o:LastSaved>2003-12-31T14:56:00Z</o:LastSaved>

<o:Pages>1</o:Pages>

<o:Company>Pier 1 Imports, Inc.</o:Company>

<o:Lines>1</o:Lines>

<o:Paragraphs>1</o:Paragraphs>

<o:Version>9.6926</o:Version>

</o:DocumentProperties>

</xml><![endif]-->

<style>

<!--

/* Style Definitions */

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal

{mso-style-parent:"";

margin:0in;

margin-bottom:.0001pt;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

font-size:12.0pt;

font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}

@page Section1

{size:8.5in 11.0in;

margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;

mso-header-margin:.5in;

mso-footer-margin:.5in;

mso-paper-source:0;}

div.Section1

{page:Section1;}

-->

</style>

</head>

<body lang=EN-US style='tab-interval:.5in'>

<div class=Section1>

<p class=MsoNormal>Hello World</p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

Hello World

what a WASTE!!!!!!!!! image a real webpage coded in frontpage....

Hello World

What's the point in using all that junk for 'Hello World'? Whoever made that page needs to learn to use FP more effectively.

&lt;html&gt;

&lt;head&gt;
&lt;meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-au"&gt;
&lt;meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 6.0"&gt;
&lt;meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document"&gt;
&lt;meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"&gt;
&lt;title&gt;Hello World&lt;/title&gt;
&lt;/head&gt;

&lt;body&gt;

&lt;p&gt;Hello World&lt;/p&gt;

&lt;/body&gt;

&lt;/html&gt;

Nothing but pure, standards compliant HTML.

Hello World

That junk was made in MS Word, FrontPage makes less junk, but still things like <p> tags which i never use.

oh and another thing: frontpage messes with my php stuff, another reason i don't use it :pinch:

the point being, FP adds CRAP.

In order to display the text Hello World, ALL you have to do is open up notpad, type in Hello World, and save it has an .html file.

I was using word 2000, wich has the same HTML rendering as Frontpage 2000/XP... obvioulsy they cleard some stuff up with 2003... good for them

FP still adds a bunch of useless wasteful crap. C'mon... if it was W3C compliant, they wouldn't need FP Server Extensions!!! what kind of proprietary crap is that?

Its a BAD IDEA... that's what kind of crap that is.

I was using word 2000, wich has the same HTML rendering as Frontpage 2000/XP... obvioulsy they cleard some stuff up with 2003... good for them

No it's not. Word makes HTML files very different - because it has to support all the features of Word. And as for just 'Hello World' written in a text file saved as html - that's not a complete html file. It may render fine, but it's not complete.

Also, Dreamweaver is often used because it supports grid layouts (as opposed to flow layouts - FP2k3 now supports both). Grid layouts are much slower and more bulky, so don't talk about FP adding junk.

these 2 version are both good but they are made for different kind of people.

frontpage is for someone who is not so computer savvy.

dreamweaver is for really heavy development.

it all depends on what kind of person are you.

I voted Dreamweaver over Frontpage.

I started off my dev work in Notepad, then evolved to EditPlus (a very nice text-editor with syntax highlighting), an finally got into the Macromedia realm.

I think arguing Dreamweaver vs. Frontpage is pretty useless. It's clear that Frontpage is a better offering for ppl just getting into web dev/design, but Dreamweaver is obviously a more powerful application with greater extensibility, geared towards professionals.

That said, both Frontpage 2003 and Dreamweaver MX 2004 are much better than their previous incarnations. I think either way you're getting a pretty decent web dev tool.

Notepad owns Dreamweaver and Frontpage.

may I ask why? Or is it because you think you're just more hardcore if you use notepad...

I only hand code, but I insist on using Dreamweaver MX 2004. Not because I can't code, but because using Dreamweaver saves me craploads of time. It does a lot of the grunt work for me, so I can focus on more important matters and get the job done in less time.

If you're using notepad you're only wasting your time.

Well look. I use Frontpage (2003), and I find it very powerful. I find it a hell of a lot easier to use than Dreamweaver, but I can do just as much (if not more). I don't see why people really hate it that much.

may I ask why? Or is it because you think you're just more hardcore if you use notepad...

I only hand code, but I insist on using Dreamweaver MX 2004. Not because I can't code, but because using Dreamweaver saves me craploads of time. It does a lot of the grunt work for me, so I can focus on more important matters and get the job done in less time.

If you're using notepad you're only wasting your time.

:o couldn't have said it better myself. this is the equivilent of the people that make stupid quotes like "Real programmers code with copycon" or dumb sh][t like that... >:\

i like frontpage more because more userfriendly, easier to use and it fits for all my needs

ditto!

Also, FP2k3's IntelliSense and Split views help greatly for hand-coding.

i like frontpage more because more userfriendly, easier to use and it fits for all my needs

and there is NOTHING wrong with that. it all comes down to opinion. but for full compatability and capability i really think you need Dreamweaver.