SEO Questions

Question

I am new to web design and have another thread about my learning to use Adobe Muse.

I wanted to start a new thread because I want to learn more about SEO.

Is SEO something that I need to do in my HTML code? Can I do it myself or do I need to hire someone to do SEO? Does WYSIWYG software like Muse really prohibit you from doing SEO since there isn't really coding done by the designer?

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the land of Snake Oil.

1. You need to have real useful content in your site that Google can figure out what your site is about. If you have lots of text content then Google will be pretty smart about it and it has algorithms to detect "real content" vs lists of keywords.

2. The main ingredient to the secret sauce that made google the #1 engine and is still the foundation is simply how many other "real" websites link to your site. It takes time and effort to achieve this.

Anything else is snake oil and a constant cat and mouse game to not get caught by the google bot with thousands of fake link sites and other tricks that are typical of websites that have no real reason for existence other than to make money by ad clicks.

But humans often look for a "Quick Fix" and so the snake oil business of SEO has grown up. If you do decide to investigate using one of the million or so SEO consultants, the main thing to watch like a hawk is the metrics they use to define "success" - in most cases they "game" the customer as much as they try to "game " Google. The customer (that's you) is a lot easier to "game" than Google and so there is a whole body of questionable terminology and metrics they will throw at you. In specific cases where you sell a product online and can tie SEO consulting cost to a demonstrated increase in actual product sales it then might make sense to enter the dragons den of SEO.

Hi, 

I would like to learn some SEO techniques which can help me in improving the rankings of my website which is a bit similar to GrabOn website. I  believe this is the right place where I can get assistance. 

Thanks, 
Sean Dsouza

If you want good SEO learning aides and tools, you should definitely go to https://moz.com/learn/seo

Moz knowledge base. They have helluva useful materials, and you can read about different aspects of SEO.

Also check out https://library.hubspot.com/

They have many resources on inbound marketing, but they happen to have quite useful SEO related tutorials.

Hopefully this helps you! ;)