Xbox Elite Wireless Controller from a novice point of view

decided to pick up the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller (Microsoft sucks with naming their products). I would of called it Elite or Elite-X (its clean and simple). I know the first thing people see is the $150 price tag. Let's address it quickly and get it out of the way. Yes $150 is a bit on the pricey side (you can get 2new games and get change back with $150 in the US). Heck I didn't (and probably wouldn't of), even pay full price for it, thanks to Amazon gift cards I had laying around (thanks to my wife and in-laws), I had to only pay $33 for the controller. Once again, the controller is pricey, but let us try hard to push that to the side.

Make no mistake the Elite screams *quality product* from the moment you see the box. The box the Elite comes packaged in, is considerably bigger than the box a standard Xbox Controller comes in. The box is more than easy enough to open, as its only being held close by 3 pieces of clear tape. Peel/cut tape off, and the box top/cover pops right off. You are instantly greeted with the carrying case (a semi hard shell, that's actually clothed). Inside the case you'll find of course the Elite, which is already decked out with the paddles, standard Xbox analog sticks, and disc-pad thingy, already on the controller by default. Well the picture pretty much should tell you what you need to know (also has the tall analogs and the rounded top analogs like the Dual Shock 3). Don't throw the box out just yet, under the casing is the usual verbiage, as well as a cloth wrapped USB cable and 2x AA batteries. 

As soon as you pick up the controller, you can instantly tell that this is premium controller (Microsoft should consider making this the standard pack in with the Xbox sometime in the not to distant future. As others have stated the first thing you notice when you pick up the Elite is it's weight. Although it's heavy (when comapred to the standard Xbox Controller & even the DS4) it feels ever so right. The way the analogs, dpad, and paddles are held on by magnets. Yes magnets. What is odd though these parts are super easy to take off, but are held very firmly when gaming. Don't worry about parts flying off while in a gamin session. What is odd though, is getting use to actually picking the controller up. When you pick up a traditional Xbox One controller you've never thought about the back of the controller. If you pick up the Elite any kind of way, you can accidentally pluck one of the paddles off with your fingers, or maybe thats just me.

Button mapping:
As I'm sure most of the those who hand out on Neowin (Gamers Hangout Section) are already aware, button mapping has been introduced to the Xbox One. You can go to the app and customize away. And I mean customize.  There's so many options, that it can be a tad bit overwhelming. You can trigger sensitivity, dead zone of the analogs, how hard or soft you want the rumble, and even the Xbox Home button's brightness can be adjusted (like the lightbar on the PS4). There's already quite a few presets already in place for Xbox's 1st party games such as Halo 5, Forza 6, Gears, and Sunset:OD. There's multiple options for each at that. Also the paddles can be turned off by double tapping the binding button on the controller (green button at the top). Trying the controller on games that I'm not so good at, I decided to give the controller a quick spin on Killer Instinct, and immediately my skill level went from a -2 to a 3 (out of 10) vs the computer. I even decided to give Halo 5 some time as well, with a configuration that I made and bound to the controller. I didn't do so well, as I overtinkered and made the triggers usless (basically turned them off by accident) and got killed as some of the commands to the triggers were not working. I haven't tried a racer yet (i do have Forza:Fast & Furious game)

Those who are more skilled than I am when it comes to competitive play, may actually have even more of an advantage with this one. As of right now I would give the controller a 9.0 out of 10.  With price point being the only knock.This controller is easily one of the best controllers ever made (Putting it instanly in the same breath as the 360, Dual Shock 4 and Nintendo Wavebird Wireless controllers.
Edited by Andrew
  • Like 4

Putting it instanly in the same breath as the 360, Dual Shock 4 and Nintendo Wavebird Wireless controllers.

So you're saying it's not as good as the regular Xbox One controllers then ? ;):p

I'll get one of these but it would've been nice if it included the rechargeable battery pack instead of a couple of AAs, especially for that price 

So you're saying it's not as good as the regular Xbox One controllers then ? ;):p

it just hit me that i left the Standard X1 pad out. Lol.  If we can get past the sticker shock ($150), the new Elite is really amazing.

Microsoft took best of the 360 controller and One controller mash them together, and gave it a mega overdoes of steroids

Mine arrived today. Hoping to check it out later out with Halo 5, in which I specifically held off on checking out for the controller to arrive.
I have checked it out outside of a game, meaning just playing around the the Accessories app and changing the thumbsticks, etc., and I LOVE the substantial feel of it. It is as you already said no doubt a quality product.
The verdict is still out if it was worth the price though. It was a tough pill to swallow, but a few Best Buy Reward Zone certificates helped soften the blow for me. Without them not sure I would have purchased it outright. Perhaps, but it did make it easier to pick up.

EDIT - I can add I already have removed one set of the paddles. They just are weird to me and felt to be in the way. I moved the smaller ones down to the bottom and will see if I can get used to them, then perhaps try all 4 one day. For now though they seemed way too foreign for my tastes. Crab Hand for sure.

Mine arrived today. Hoping to check it out later out with Halo 5, in which I specifically held off on checking out for the controller to arrive.
I have checked it out outside of a game, meaning just playing around the the Accessories app and changing the thumbsticks, etc., and I LOVE the substantial feel of it. It is as you already said no doubt a quality product.
The verdict is still out if it was worth the price though. It was a tough pill to swallow, but a few Best Buy Reward Zone certificates helped soften the blow for me. Without them not sure I would have purchased it outright. Perhaps, but it did make it easier to pick up.

EDIT - I can add I already have removed one set of the paddles. They just are weird to me and felt to be in the way. I moved the smaller ones down to the bottom and will see if I can get used to them, then perhaps try all 4 one day. For now though they seemed way too foreign for my tastes. Crab Hand for sure.

the paddles are the hardest thing for me as well.  I'm forcing myself to use them.  This controller has already eliminated my want for a Fight Stick.. I stink at fighting games but love to play them.  Decided to fire up Killer Instinct with the disk-pad and I'm already a better player (vs the cpu).  I've tried Forza:Fast and Furious and still need to get use to trying to get use the "Drive Manual w/Clutch" option. 

$150 is a tough pill to swallow.  Thanks to various Amazon gift cards I saved up (and being a cheapskate at times) I only had to shell out $32 for the controller.

Only $150? $200 here...

Every picture I see and review I see looks awesome but, so will probably cave on the 30th of Nov when they hit Australian stores. Cannot wait to combine this and Forza.

Only $150? $200 here...

Every picture I see and review I see looks awesome but, so will probably cave on the 30th of Nov when they hit Australian stores. Cannot wait to combine this and Forza.

Is everything in Australia pricey or is it just me.  No matter what forum I'm on, the prices where you are, are just astronomically high. Everyone there must be rich and the economy must never hit a rough spot for everything to be so much money.

Aussie dollars aren't worth as much as US dollars though.

They aren't?  With the prices over there (and I thought things were pricey in the USofA) I thought their dollar was stronger than here in America.

I can't wait to try mine, tomorrow when my Xbox One Elite shows up.

Only thing I cant find yet is the xbox one wireless adapter for windows.

This controller is worth everything penny and I pre ordered it the minute Microsoft announced it and amazon put it up a few hours later. This thing is what I expected Microsoft to do. Its better than any third party controller and I've had the top two (scuf and cinch). I do have the say the way I hold it, the long paddles are easily pressed but I believe Ill get use to them once I try them enough, for now im doing good with 2 paddles in halo. I hope they sell the paddles separately cause i would buy a pair of the short ones instantly.

If you can over look the price and want something of quality that will last a LONG time, this is the controller.

It is us Brits that get stuffed on the price! Cheapest in the UK is £120 which is $185!

-25% VAT that's 138 though. and with that VAT you also get far superior consumer protection that the filthy rebel yanks ;)

This controller is worth everything penny and I pre ordered it the minute Microsoft announced it and amazon put it up a few hours later. This thing is what I expected Microsoft to do. Its better than any third party controller and I've had the top two (scuf and cinch). I do have the say the way I hold it, the long paddles are easily pressed but I believe Ill get use to them once I try them enough, for now im doing good with 2 paddles in halo. I hope they sell the paddles separately cause i would buy a pair of the short ones instantly.

If you can over look the price and want something of quality that will last a LONG time, this is the controller.

You can get extra paddles from the Microsoft support Website.
Go through the process of submitting it for a return (Choose Replace an Accessory, Choose your registered One so it knows what to associate the accessory with, thn choose Elite Controller, enter your Serial when it prompts you to, and on the very last step after you enter the serial number, it gives you the option to purchase the different parts and you do not have to send your current ones back. I think a set of 4 more paddles (2 big 2 small) was $10 or $15, I do not remember the exact price as that is not why I was there*, but I definitely saw you could purchase most of the parts separately. But that is a way to purchase them direct from MS if they are not selling them otherwise.

* Only reason I know this is I almost returned my controller as I thought I had an issue with it drifting. Thanks to some members on Neogaf testing out my settings I was able to determine it was a software issue, and that choosing the Halo 5 SP profile and choosing Instant for my Right Stick Sensitivity caused the drift I was experiencing. So luckily problem solved, as I was not very happy about sending it back due to such a small issue, but it was one of those things once I noticed it it drove me crazy. Again though was software related, and honestly once deadzones were explained to me it made sense, I never should have probably chosen Instant, so it was some user error as well. LOL

It is us Brits that get stuffed on the price! Cheapest in the UK is £120 which is $185!

Yeah, but is that with VAT included or no?    Prices here are always higher than in the US, or the same numerical number, i.e. $50 USD = 50 Euro, the Euro has weakened though but in many cases, specially with PC parts, it's the 23% VAT that kills me.

Yeah, but is that with VAT included or no?    Prices here are always higher than in the US, or the same numerical number, i.e. $50 USD = 50 Euro, the Euro has weakened though but in many cases, specially with PC parts, it's the 23% VAT that kills me.

Euro prices are pretty much always VAT included unless you're looking at business purchases. 

• Like 2

Yeah, but is that with VAT included or no?    

It's unlikely that a games console pad would be listed excluding VAT. 
Saying that, because of my line of work, i put my Xbox on my tax deductions :p