Star Trek Beyond

Rumors has it that there will be more than just 1 cameo on the new Trek film. Who do you think will maker an appearance?

I personally think good old Captain Kirk William Shatner will be one of them.

Patrick Stewart will play teenage Jean-Luc Picard. He doesn't look that different now than he did on TNG, so I'm going to assume he also looked like that when he was a teenager. 

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Frank B. said:

This trailer is in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

I thought it wasn't being released until the Star Wars premier. I'm a huge Star Trek fan and I must say that this looks horrible. Really dumb choice using that music from the first movie and the rest of it looks so cheesy. Looks like this franchise's Insurrection. Hope I am wrong though,,

Let's see if it'll embed. Nope, oh well.

The music is what the child Kirk in 'Star Trek' was playing in his stepfathers car, right before he drove it over a cliff.

My problem with the trailer is the editing, which is trying too hard to mimic a hip-hop version of the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' trailer. I doubt the film will be so frenetic. Otherwise, it looks good.

http://youtu.be/XRVD32rnzOw

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, spacer said:

That trailer was honestly the least "Star Trek-y" Start Trek movie I've ever seen. It looks terrible, to be honest.

Less Star Treky than First Contact? I find that hard to believe!

1 minute ago, Draconian Guppy said:

First contact was star trek? :laugh: 

My point exactly! Star Trek is intelligent. It isn't an action-shootup movie. First Contact wasn't Star Trek - it was Die Hard on a Starship!

2 minutes ago, Som said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmEDkl7iW2k

It's not a Star Trek movi, it's a fast and furius movie in space.  Can't be worse than Into Darkness, that was awful

Sure it can - it can be First Contact or that last NextGen movie. Both were far worse than Into Darkness. Really the only good NextGen movie was Insurrection, since it was largely character-driven rather than action-driven.

Into Darkness was actually pretty good in comparison.

1 minute ago, DConnell said:

Sure it can - it can be First Contact or that last NextGen movie. Both were far worse than Into Darkness. Really the only good NextGen movie was Insurrection, since it was largely character-driven rather than action-driven.

Into Darkness was actually pretty good in comparison.

Insurrection was bland and boring and it made little sense, but to be fair all the TNG movies where terrible.  Into Darkness was so dumb I found it offensive. 

6 minutes ago, Som said:

Insurrection was bland and boring and it made little sense, but to be fair all the TNG movies where terrible.  Into Darkness was so dumb I found it offensive. 

It made sense to me, and was far closer in tone to the series than the other movies. Yeah, there were plot holes, but at least it had a plot.

Insurrection better than First Contact? bahahaha

Data talking about boobs after Troi and Crusher discussing how their ###### are firmer from radiation. That sure sounds like a stellar character driven story. Picard's character was the only redeeming feature of that film. The rest was utter nonsense. Trek can't make a decent villain to save their franchise, not since Kahn or V'GER.

######  is blocked from the filter? Now that's rich.

12 minutes ago, shockz said:

Insurrection better than First Contact? bahahaha

Data talking about boobs after Troi and Crusher discussing how their ###### are firmer from radiation. That sure sounds like a stellar character driven story. Picard's character was the only redeeming feature of that film. The rest was utter nonsense. Trek can't make a decent villain to save their franchise, not since Kahn or V'GER.

Anything is better than First Contact! Total mindless action flick pretending to be Trek. Rewriting Trek history poorly. (Shatner came up with a good answer for that in his "Continued Adventures of Jim Kirk" series. The tampering caused the creation of the Mirrorverse!)

No characterization of the lead cast. Mischaracterization of the Borg (who are just cheap knockoffs of the Cybermen anyway!).

At least Data talking about boobs is character interplay. That example I admit isn't the best instance, but most of the characterization in the movie was decent. Star Trek isn't just laser blasts and explosions!

I called it Die Hard on a Starship before. Problem is, that's an insult to the first couple Die Hard films. And First Contact was a major insult to Roddenberry's vision.

You guys are nuts. First Contact was the best of all the TNG movies. Better than all the original too except Wrath of Khan.

When it comes down to it, Trekkies are biting the hand that feeds them. Their constant criticism not only damages the brand, but pushes people away from even watching it. Hate to break it to you, but this is Star Trek now. I can name plenty of Trek films that focused more on action than any moral issue... some of which have arguably been the best films trek had to offer, i.e Wrath of Khan, Generations, First Contact. One might even argue the undiscovered country, but there was a good mix with that one. The first reboot movie was pretty great, and received great reviews from new viewers. The second one was a rushed mess, and definitely needed a more thought out plot, especially considering the one they based it off did so well. Hopefully they learned from their mistakes the 3rd time around. 

A lot have already judged the film an a ~60 clip, on a movie that is still half a year away. Really?

Mainstream viewers have had the door opened to Trek, many of them go on to watch the series on Netflix, who rave about how good they are. Yet when asked, they still say the newer movies were some of the best Trek they were introduced to. 

When it comes down to it, TNG movies were more action oriented than not. 

Trek on the big screen has always focused on action, with a side of humanity (and this only some).

Moral issues on Trek, humanity, etc, do much better on Television than on the big screen. 

Gene hasn't been around since the middle of TNG. His visions may have translated into DS9, but only more so in the beginning. Voyager and Enterprise were post Gene Roddenberry. There has been constant criticism from the Trekkie base since he died. You're never going to be original to his vision, for the simple fact that he's no longer around to create it.

Enterprise had a rough start, but Trekkies never gave it a chance until it was gone and many love it now. Who have been begging for a new series for over a decade, even ones that take place directly after Enterprise season 4. We finally get one lined up and I imagine these same vocal idiots will attempt to bash anything not directly related to their narrow vision of Trek. If they're expecting something from CBS that doesn't line up with their popular shows (CSI, NCIS, Criminal Minds, etc...), they're in for a rude awakening. 

Brannon Braga and Rick Berman ran Trek into the ground, yes, but CBS isn't going to go back to the old ways, and for good reason. Let the small screen deal with moral and humanity. It's where it does best, but you had better expect them to make sure they keep mainstream viewers locked in, and you bet that's going to be on action. If you can't accept that, you'll never be happy with any new Trek again. Without it, we'll never see any new Star Trek on television.

Edited by shockz
  • Like 2

Fast Star, Furious Trek. Justin Lin is going to ruin the ST franchise. He should stick with his FF franchise. Didn't he temp. take over cause J.J. had to direct Star Wars and couldn't do the next Trek movie?

Also, time frame 1:26 on the trailer on repeat ;)