Star Trek Beyond

On 5/21/2016 at 9:18 AM, LOC said:

What I don't get is - if the Enterprise JJ-version gets wrecked by those alien swarm thingies....how could the NX-01 stand any chance whatsoever? Even if they just use it to rescue the rest of the crew I mean. One shot, gone lol

The NX-01 at some point does get a new-tech retrofit.

3 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

ooooh love me that warp bubble effect, I need to get a hidef wallpaper of that!

I'm with you, if you manage to find one post it up here so we can take a look.

So after googling with this awesomesauce warp drive, turns out, this is what the original concept should look like, so this new rendering is actually spot on:

maxresdefault.jpg

Star_Trek_Warp_Field.png

main-qimg-e412b87cb12dc7734a50bfc06ed2bb

• Like 1

It looks cool, but I wish it would have been a bubble, rather than a "wake" effect.

3 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

It looks cool, but I wish it would have been a bubble, rather than a "wake" effect.

at the very end it does sorta look bubblish

• Like 1

While the ship is in a bubble, which you can see, as it's going through space, though I'm no expert, I do expect it to leave some form of "ripple" effect on space behind it, in the end warp speed is basically effecting gravity around the ship which effects space around the ship, and we know that gravitational waves do in fact exist, so showing a "wave ripple" effect might not be that far off.

It's not like we've got a working warp drive to actually test and see how it'd look.

• Like 2

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 0:52 AM, Dot Matrix said:

Don't underestimate the intelligence of the audience. A good plot line, with respectable research works well with many. This run&gun style Trek has many people looking elsewhere for thier fix of good sci-fi.

These movies aren't designed for an intelligent audience though

Would love to see the NX Class (later Enterprise Class) make an appearance, but sadly, I think that's just the USS Franklin

39 minutes ago, Son_Of_Dad said:

These movies aren't designed for an intelligent audience though

Nope. :/

• 2 weeks later...

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Anton Yelchin, a charismatic and rising actor best known for playing Chekov in the new "Star Trek" films, has died at the age of 27. He was killed in a fatal traffic collision early Sunday morning, his publicist, Jennifer Allen confirmed.

Yelchin started small with roles in indie films and various television shows, before breaking out in films like the crime thriller "Alpha Dog" and the teenage comedy "Charlie Bartlett." His biggest role to date has been in the rebooted "Star Trek" films — the third of which, "Star Trek Beyond" comes out in July.

Yelchin, an only child, was born in Russia. His parents were professional figure skaters who moved the family to the United States when Yelchin was a baby. Yelchin's family requests privacy at this time.

Source: AP

RIP Yelchin, way way to young to go.

I just saw this , damn shame indeed.   People shouldn't die that young, hell, under 70 is "too young" IMO.

Terrible.

Not a collision - he was crushed by his own car rolling down the driveway. Updated AP,

http://live.att.net/news/read/article/the_associated_press-star_trek_actor_anton_yelchin_dies_in_car_crash_at-ap

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Anton Yelchin, a rising actor best known for playing Chekov in the new "Star Trek" films, was killed by his own car as it rolled down his driveway early Sunday, police and his publicist said.

The car pinned Yelchin, 27, against a brick mailbox pillar and a security fence at his home in Los Angeles, Officer Jenny Hosier said. He had gotten out of the vehicle momentarily, but police did not say why he was behind it when it started rolling.

Yelchin was on his way to meet friends for a rehearsal, Hosier said. When he didn't show up, the group came to his home and found him dead.

The freak accident tragically cuts short the promising career of an actor whom audiences were still getting to know and who had great artistic ambition. "Star Trek Beyond," the third film in the rebooted series, comes out in July.

Director J.J. Abrams, who cast Yelchin in the franchise, wrote in a statement that he was "brilliant ... kind ... funny as hell, and supremely talented."

His death was felt throughout the industry.

"He was a ferocious movie buff who put us all to shame," said Gabe Klinger, who directed Yelchin in the upcoming film "Porto," likely to be released this fall. "He was watching four or five movies every night — silent movies."

Yelchin began acting as a child, taking small roles in independent films and various television shows, such as "ER," ''The Practice," and "Curb Your Enthusiasm." His breakout big-screen role came opposite Anthony Hopkins in 2001's "Hearts in Atlantis."

He transitioned into teen roles in films such as the crime thriller "Alpha Dog" and the comedy "Charlie Bartlett." He also played a young Kyle Reese in 2009's "Terminator Salvation."

Yelchin, an only child, was born in Russia. His parents were professional figure skaters who moved the family to the United States when Yelchin was a baby. He briefly flirted with skating lessons, too, before discovering that he wasn't very skilled on the ice. That led him to acting class.
>

image0055.jpg

On 6/20/2016 at 2:43 AM, Slarlac249 said:

Damn, that's some freak accident, maybe he forgot the handbreak.

RIP.

Unfortunately most drivers in the U.S. don't even remember there IS a handbrake. This is the land of automatic transmissions (close to impossible to buy a car with a manual nowadays) so he didn't 'forget'. Looks like his jeep was one that was known for indicating it was in park when it really wasn't so when he got out, the jeep that wasn't really in park just rolled back.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Son_Of_Dad said:

star-trek-beyond-still00025.jpg

Worse looking uniforms than the nazi greys seen in the last movie

Is that Captain Kirk or Captain N the Game Master? :laugh: Although I think N's lettermen jacket was more tasteful.