New Windows Games - How Possible To Play

Hi,

I am wondering how likely it is to get a game that is just released or will be (like Fallout 4, or Rise Of The Tomb Raider) to actually play on Linux.

Using what ever method there is available these days, but I assume most are still using a form of Wine. Also, do any games run under Wine at a decent frame rate and all that?

I know, I am better off booting into Windows (which I can) but it would be nice to get some things working if possible.

Or does it take a long time to get any games working even a bit?

I'd say about 25% will run on WINE. Older titles (DirectX 9) tend to be the least problematic, and DirectX 11 support isn't terrible but it's hit-and-miss.

WINE was initially made for getting Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop working on 'nix. Later they began to gear it more directly for World of Warcraft, and things improved a lot but there are still problems -- mostly because .Net Framework-based applications and Mono (used to implement .Net) don't always cooperate.

Your best bet is to check the WINE Application Database and see what game/application you want to get working. Most of the time there are workarounds and other little things you'll need to do. Winetricks is a lifesaver for most of the games and programs that won't run out of the box.

Good luck, and don't give up without a fight. ;)

• Like 1

I think WineHQ would be the best place to get a answer.  iirc...no support for Rise of the TR and since Fallout 4 hasn't been released yet .. /shrug.  As far as how long it takes to get games working...dunno that either.  Neither Bioshock Infinite or Far Cry 4 work ... but Bethesda's - Wolfenstein: New Order does.

With regards on how well...that depends on which game you're looking at.  Some run very well while others have glitches, random crashes, audio issues, etc...just depends.  

https://appdb.winehq.org/

and...what Betaguy said!

• Like 2

It's highly dependant on the vendor and what technologies they utilise. Generally, most things from Blizzard work OOTB for example.

The good news is that a lot of new titles are cross platform these days. Steam Machines should increase that support massively. Any game targeting SM will work on Linux natively.

A lot of current games on Steam run in Linux, especially since the SteamOS is Linux based, the catalog lags a bit behind windows and osx but that's your better choice for current games in  Linux