[Official] Star Trek: Discovery Thread

New 'Star Trek' TV Series in the Works

Alex Kurtzman who is behind the new feature film franchise, is looking for a writer.

Just in time for its 50th anniversary, Star Trek may be returning to the small screen.

Prolific producers Alex Kurtzman is developing a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic for TV, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. A formal announcement with additional details is expected to come later this morning. 

The drama is set up at CBS Television Studios, where Kurtzman and Orci's K/O Paper Products banner is under an overall deal. A search is under way for a writer to take on the cult hit. A network is not yet attached but the goal is for the potential series to be on the air late next fall on either cable or a streaming service, sources say. Should a new Star Trek series come together for next fall, it would air as the franchise is poised to celebrate its 50th anniversary as the original series debuted Sept. 8, 1966.

The new Star Trek TV series would continue Kurtzman's relationship with the beloved franchise. He currently produces theStar Trek feature film series, writing 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness and 2009's franchise revival. The fourth in the franchise set for 2019.  

CBS TV Studios distributed the original series, which was produced by Paramount Television and Desilu Productions. Created by Gene Roddenberry and starring William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, the series ran for three seasons and 79 episodes from 1966-67 on NBC and became a monster hit via syndication. It spawned an animated series (1973-74), a series of feature films, starting in 1979, and four TV follow-ups including The Next Generation (1987-1994), Deep Space Nine (1993-99), Voyager(1995-2001) and Enterprise (2001-05).

News of a new Star Trek TV series comes as the franchise has been mired in rights issues between CBS and Paramount after Viacom merged with CBS in 2000. CBS Corp. absorbed Paramount for television, while Paramount Studios — the company that distributed the films — went to Viacom.

The Star Trek revival comes as reboots and follow-ups continue to be in high demand on broadcast (and cable/streaming). Kurtzman — and frequent partner Roberto Orci, who is not attached to CBSTVS' Star Trek — is behind CBS' follow-up to Bradley Cooper's Limitless and also exec produces the network's veteran Hawaii Five-0 reboot. The K/O banner currently has four shows on the air — Hawaii, Limitless and sophomore drama Scorpion as well as Fox's Sleepy Hollow. K/O is repped by CAA and Gendler Kelly.  

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

• Like 4

Yay, finally. Boo Kurtzman.

I wonder though, if it'll be based on new JJverse Trek, or Prime Trek. If they were smart, they'd go Prime (hey why not?) but I doubt it.

I can't imagine it not being based on the new canon, with some sort of tie in between series and films. 

Streaming only? I hope it fails miserably and costs them millions of dollars.

The fact that if it fails, it will scare off CBS from attempting anything to do with STAR TREK for the forseeable future and keep it as a movie only franchise. That's what you want, right? Because CBS has the TV rights.

• Like 2

The fact that if it fails, it will scare off CBS from attempting anything to do with STAR TREK for the forseeable future and keep it as a movie only franchise. That's what you want, right? Because CBS has the TV rights.

Yes, that's what I want, if they can't do it properly for the fans, then don't do it at all.

• Like 2

Yes, that's what I want, if they can't do it properly for the fans, then don't do it at all.

Personally I love the new direction of Star Trek and look forward to the TV series, as it will presumably dial back the action and improve the character development. People seem to forget that the movies have always been overly action orientated in comparison to the TV series when criticising the new movies.

Let's put it this way, it would have to be spectacularly bad to be worse than Enterprise. :laugh:

• Like 1

wonder how it will work out side of the US. or will CBS try to sell it online to the rest of the world or to other networks around the world?

Excuse me, but what's with this "properly" stuff? I like waiting until I've seen how something is executed for myself before condemning it to failure.

• Like 2

wonder how it will work out side of the US. or will CBS try to sell it online to the rest of the world or to other networks around the world?

"The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International."

It's amazing the amount of bitching people do. Trekkies have been longing for a series for over 10 years now and when we finally get one they spit on it. What a joke.

I for once am very excited to have trek back on the small screen. Streaming series have done quite well, look at Netflix. Not only that, but for 6 bucks a month I get all the CBS content I want and access to my local station provider. Considering I cut the cord and save over a thousand a year in not having cable access fees, I'm not going to get bent out of shape for 5.99 bucks a month. Hulu never has CBS content and I'm always finding myself wishing it did. So great.

People also seem to be glazing over the fact that it's first run on streaming. It'll probably still be on TV, subscribers just get first dibs.

• Like 2

It's amazing the amount of bitching people do. Trekkies have been longing for a series for over 10 years now and when we finally get one they spit on it. What a joke.

I for once am very excited to have trek back on the small screen. Streaming series have done quite well, look at Netflix. Not only that, but for 6 bucks a month I get all the CBS content I want and access to my local station provider. Considering I cut the cord and save over a thousand a year in not having cable access fees, I'm not going to get bent out of shape for 5.99 bucks a month. Hulu never has CBS content and I'm always finding myself wishing it did. So great.

People also seem to be glazing over the fact that it's first run on streaming. It'll probably still be on TV, subscribers just get first dibs.

A lot of classic "Trekkies" aren't really fans of the new JJ crap... And for good reasons. I for one, don't want a new series where you can just beam to faraway planets. Lol.

Personally I love the new direction of Star Trek and look forward to the TV series, as it will presumably dial back the action and improve the character development. People seem to forget that the movies have always been overly action orientated in comparison to the TV series when criticising the new movies.

Let's put it this way, it would have to be spectacularly bad to be worse than Enterprise. :laugh:

Yea, and I don't think any of the original movies were ever as good as the tv series. Star Trek just works better in episodic format. The Star Trek movies would just be like two hour episodes with more dramatic explosions and events like the Enterprise getting destroyed. The later movies got really lame. I think something JJ Abrams understood, at least, is to make Star Trek work as a movie, the formula has to be tweaked a bit.

A lot of classic "Trekkies" aren't really fans of the new JJ crap... And for good reasons. I for one, don't want a new series where you can just beam to faraway planets. Lol.

I'd rather do a BR/DVD rewatch of great television than some
Kurtzman run series with the intelligence quota of Melrose Place. Chances are Justin Lin will dumb down ST3 to record new levels given his background.

I've watched star trek since the 80's, and loved TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Even Enterprise after Season 4 was good. One of my first VHS movies was Star Trek 4. I'd say I qualify as a classic trekkie. I have no problems with how the new trek is, although it does lack a bit of story. I'm still fan though. The movies haven't been good since the original cast, aside from First Contact. It's not just a JJ problem. 

Sadly, if you think a trek series based off of anything from the 80s, 90's is going to make it, it just won't last on todays television. JJTrek has had plenty of pitfalls, but it was able to do something that the old producers weren't ever able to do. Mainstream it. Aside from TNG, that hasn't happened for Voy, DS9 or Ent. I'm not saying it needs to be action packed shoot em up styling, there's room for the reflection of humanity like in old trek, but I don't think we'll ever see classic trek again. I also heard that it won't be based off of anything relating to the past two movies. Hopefully it's in the future, far far in the future to where anything that was done in the classic trek is of little consequence, aside from a passing historic easter egg for trekkies. 

And Roddenberry actually envisioned a Trek where transporters were used more than warp drive when he was thinking up TNG, but he shot it down, along with very futuristic set designs as it was deemed too far fetched.

Edited by shockz
  • Like 2

Sadly, if you think a trek series based off of anything from the 80s, 90's is going to make it, it just won't last on todays television.

I don't know ever heard of Battlestar Galactica one of the most successful and acclaimed science fiction shows of recent times?

I find "historic easter egg for trekkies." condescending especially when they aren't even used correctly e.g. "the captains oath".

I don't know ever heard of Battlestar Galactica one of the most successful and acclaimed science fiction shows of recent times?

Which was COMPLETELY re-imagined, and bared very little resemblance to the original.