Big OneDrive Changes

Here are the changes:

• We’re no longer planning to offer unlimited storage to Office 365 Home, Personal, or University subscribers. Starting now, those subscriptions will include 1 TB of OneDrive storage.
  • 100 GB and 200 GB paid plans are going away as an option for new users and will be replaced with a 50 GB plan for $1.99 per month in early 2016.
  • Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued. These changes will start rolling out in early 2016.

We’re taking the following steps to make this transition as easy as possible for customers:

• If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and have stored in excess of 1 TB, you will be notified of this change and will be able to keep your increased storage for at least 12 months.
  • If you are an Office 365 consumer subscriber and find that Office 365 no longer meets your needs, a pro-rated refund will be given. To learn more visit the FAQ.
  • If you are using more than 5 GB of free storage, you will continue to have access to all files for at least 12 months after these changes go into effect in early 2016. In addition, you can redeem a free one-year Office 365 Personal subscription (credit card required), which includes 1 TB of OneDrive storage.
  • Current customers of standalone OneDrive storage plans (such as a 100 or 200 GB plans) are not affected by these changes.

MS OneDrive Blog 

Since we started to roll out unlimited cloud storage to Office 365 consumer subscribers, a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings. In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average. Instead of focusing on extreme backup scenarios, we want to remain focused on delivering high-value productivity and collaboration experiences that benefit the majority of OneDrive users.

Maybe not too surprising, but also sad. I hope they can focus now on increasing the speed of file transfers.

hmmm...this kind of blows.  I actually liked the camera roll option and was a bit surprised to see I have a tick over 6GB.  

Oh well, time to move everything over to Google Drive.  

Their reasoning is a bit dumb....because x number of people uploaded 75TB....well Microsoft shouldn't have offered "unlimited" storage!  What did they think would happen?  If I purchased the "unlimited" plan my entire hard drive would have been "in the cloud".  Anyway, instead of punishing everyone they should have knocked the unlimited plan to xTB.  Then again...it is Microsoft who has made a lot of dumb decisions in the past couple of years.

Edited by jjkusaf

That is all disappointing. I was just thinking how nice OneDrive is when I was working with iCloud's 5GB on a family member's phone.

I would have been more disappointed, but I found the Onedrive sync client to be so unreliable and slow that I eventually gave up and went to a Google Drive. If the MS client was faster, I'd have much more stored in the cloud...

I found the Onedrive sync client to be so unreliable and slow that I eventually gave up and went to a Google Drive. If the MS client was faster, I'd have much more stored in the cloud...

It definitely is spotty. You'd think it would be really well integrated into Win10, but by default, you end up with a local Documents folder/subfolders and OneDrive Documents folders unless you redirect the local paths, which is just retarded.

15 GB free dumbed down to 5 GB would hurt most users. Microsoft realized that most users have requirements between 5-15 GB and they are loosing a lot on potential sales.

Sure, power to those users who have 1000 Mbps up and down connections. Here in my country, the best I can get is 8/2 Down/Up so even if I purchase top tier cloud storage, I cannot get my files on and off cloud quickly and efficiently.

Somehow, I feel warm inside when it comes to cloud shattering news like this. I hope all this cloud fad comes crashing down and local storage is given priority in future.

When was it "Unlimited" for Office 365 subscribers? was this another US only thing again? cause for me, it was only ever advertised as 1Tb and that is all I ever got :/. The bit that annoys me most is all free storage is getting cut, I had ~25Gb free storage but guess in the event I cancel my 365 subscription I'll get busted down to 5Gb again. I mean ultimately it doesn't matter but still irks me.

Oh well, this is what happens when you trust in people too much! only takes a few to take advantage of it and ruin it for everyone else... 

When was it "Unlimited" for Office 365 subscribers? was this another US only thing again? cause for me, it was only ever advertised as 1Tb and that is all I ever got :/. The bit that annoys me most is all free storage is getting cut, I had ~25Gb free storage but guess in the event I cancel my 365 subscription I'll get busted down to 5Gb again. I mean ultimately it doesn't matter but still irks me.

Oh well, this is what happens when you trust in people too much! only takes a few to take advantage of it and ruin it for everyone else... 

I just read a guide for copying your entire hard drive to Onedrive. Figures.

The rollout to unlimited was supposed to start last winter, with 10 TB rolling out to subscribers in waves as an intermediate step between 1 TB and unlimited. Apparently they never even got past the initial wave of rollouts before things got unmanageable.

Given that it is technically "unlimited", it literally would just take one person to ruin it for everyone.

I just read a guide for copying your entire hard drive to Onedrive. Figures.

The rollout to unlimited was supposed to start last winter, with 10 TB rolling out to subscribers in waves as an intermediate step between 1 TB and unlimited. Apparently they never even got past the initial wave of rollouts before things got unmanageable.

Given that it is technically "unlimited", it literally would just take one person to ruin it for everyone.

Ah ok! that makes sense, thanks for that :happy:

This was a sad testimony for a state of the art supplier.Obviously the plan is to get a hold on average Joe by providing a valuable service for a good price then taking it away or price gouging. I'm way more disappointed in how this was handled than in the loss of storage. I've always expected forward progress from Microsoft. Who's idea was this? Jeez...