iPhone Jailbreak Bounty Idea

Hi There,

I'd like to know what you all think about this. Any and all feedback is welcome!

As has been reported recently, Zerodium has paid out $1M (US) for a browser based jailbreak exploit. Obviously, the crux of the matter is that this jailbreak will not be released to the general public.

That being said, if one person can find an exploit, then that means others can too. As we know, there is no jailbreak possible for iOS 9.1. Here's my idea. I'd like to do a similar thing as Zodium but instead of a set bounty, I'd just run a pot that anyone can donate to. It'd be like a kickstarter thing and whoever can duplicate the Zodium exploit or provide a working, stable 9.1 / 9.2 jailbreak would claim the pot. Another idea that I just had is that people could request a certain percentage of the pot (such as 20%), if they can show they are actively working on an exploit and they meet certain conditions or criteria.

I'd run it, with anyone else who would be interested with complete and total transparency. Obviously one of the things that delays a jailbreak is resources for those working on such exploits. This would mitigate that issue, to a point.

Do you think this is something that could take off? I'll quickly give you some background about myself - I'm 28, I live in Victoria (Australia), currently unemployed with 3 qualifications in IT and Systems Administration.

Thanks guys!

I think it was a team that found the exploit and it is just a matter of time until the same or another exploit is found to jailbreak 9.1. Remember that no software is 100% secure.

Zerodium is capitalizing on this somehow.  I don't know if you can get people to contribute knowing a jailbreak is on the horizon and it will be free.

I firmly believe that the Zerodium thing is nothing more than a social media PR stunt.  That being said, there will be a jailbreak at some point for 9.1 or 9.x.  It always happens.  And then when it does, Apple figures out how and patches it in the next point release.  And the cycle continues.  You would be nothing more than just another social media PR stunt looking for your 15 seconds of fame.