So, 4.0 sucks balls... we know.

Used to work there for a couple months back a couple yrs ago... crazy stuff. at least it wasn't during this mess or I would have exploded like micheal bay!

• Like 1

I was one of those testing version 4 way before it came out, there were many broken things and I wish I knew you were guys were going at it beforehand.

I was one of those testing version 4 way before it came out, there were many broken things and I wish I knew you were guys were going at it beforehand.

Me too man! Although we could have done a better job at fail-safing the upgrade (which will now happen moving forward).

• Like 2

Nice one Steve!

We deferred the upgrade on our forum mainly due to the issues you guys were facing. We're now testing the latest build and it looks like a lot of stuff has been fixed. Fingers crossed and hope it all goes well for you mate.

• Like 2

Broken or not, the forums as they are now are still the best in the biz, so id say dont apologize and just get on with being the best in the biz. :)

I'd also like to point out that a fair amount of the criticism is based on people opinions and styles, so despite the broken features etc, it was never as bad as certain members made out.

• Like 3

I miss table feature in forum reply which absent in 4.0,
so I must craft some html file containing the table, view such table on browser, copy them to clipboard, and then paste them on reply post.

Wrongly crafted Table (html) tag could broke the forum post too.

A lot of it comes down to "I can live with this set back but it annoying"

like fast internet is "good" and no internet connection is "livable" but slow internet is "why the ###### can't you load a ######## page?!"

As a co-owner of Neowin, I hope some of our longer term members can put themselves in my position, and how I feel about it, unhappy would be an understatement, so lighten up and know that I have not given up, nor have the other co-owners and more importantly the developers too ;)

I can only imagine you feel pretty gutted, things seem a lot better now compared to a few weeks ago! so keep up the good work.

I remember upgrading a forum I own VB3 to VB4, with the exception of keeping the forum posts, categories and members it was essentially like starting again. None of the plugins we had for VB3 worked on VB4, in addition the development of the majority of essential plugins we used had long since ended. The style had to totally be recreated again from scratch too.

The same will happen again if we ever decide to go from VB4 to VB5, or even another totally different forum system. It's a very tough choice as newer forum systems support responsive styles which Google now do factor in page ranking, however the pain of upgrading is hard to justify when it's not your full time job (and even if it is i imagine!)

You'll not loose us long time members don't worry ;)

My main problem with the forums won't be fixed though. the overreliance on everything being scripted.  There are no longer any "hard pages",  everythign is a script. so if you are in a thread with multiple pages, post a reply, from page 2 of 3. if you hit back it doesn't matter you can't get "back" to page to, hitting back only bring you back to page 3. untill you hit back enough times to get back to the topic list...

not to mntion the annoying popups on the topic list if you accidentally hover to long over a topic with the mouse, it covers eveythign else and takes forveer to fade away.... why... if the pages where simple plain pages it would take me two seconds to just load the page to see what was there. or just he feature on the last version where you clicked the topic for a preview and it "expanded" a little... much better than this hover crap. 

When  I worked at ipb the biggest complaint was editor issues. 60% of the support requests I took care of were editor issues.

For me, it's the issues with comments on the front page that hurt me the most. It just seems really clunky right now.

We're in the process of completely re-writing the commenting system on the front page to fix the integration issues with it that we have at the moment.

My main problem with the forums won't be fixed though. the overreliance on everything being scripted.  There are no longer any "hard pages",  everythign is a script. so if you are in a thread with multiple pages, post a reply, from page 2 of 3. if you hit back it doesn't matter you can't get "back" to page to, hitting back only bring you back to page 3. untill you hit back enough times to get back to the topic list...

not to mntion the annoying popups on the topic list if you accidentally hover to long over a topic with the mouse, it covers eveythign else and takes forveer to fade away.... why... if the pages where simple plain pages it would take me two seconds to just load the page to see what was there. or just he feature on the last version where you clicked the topic for a preview and it "expanded" a little... much better than this hover crap. 

You should try reading about modern web design and user experience some time. Also, it's not that hard to use your mouse and click.

• Like 2

Great, glad its going to be fixed :)

Is it safe to say you will never again jump on a new version at least until the .1 update.

Is it also safe to say you will never again start a forum update days before a major version of Windows is set to be released :D

Edited by warwagon
  • Like 3

I'm not an old member, but at least a little bit old (?) and I can definitely understand what you're going through.

I run a storefront based on Magento, which is an equally complex piece of PHP software as IP.Board. When we do platform upgrades, or indeed do anything—including writing 123 in nano on an unrelated server on the other side of the planet—something breaks. I have heard and felt the cries of people when they can't buy, or access their accounts, or whatever, even if the hiccup lasts for but a moment.

What I'm trying to say is don't worry. COMPUTERS SUCK AND AAAHHHHHHHHHhh…

Meh, you guys will get it all sorted out eventually. I'm patient. Put it like this, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. ;)

I hope viewing notifications on a mobile phone will be fixed in future versions as it is now a pain in the ass to get to my notifications, it takes several clicks!

I think it's good to have these issues actually addressed by the bodies up top. I know there's a certain sense of ease when threads like this come to the forefront and let us know that we're all seeing eye to eye.

Is there something wrong with building a custom payment system or is it more of a time constraint over anything? Not against the donation manager but not really a fan of it either, a subscription basis seems more of an appropriate term for Neowin given that it's news and feed reading.