...The Good Old Days of First Person Shooters

Memories....memories

You had me at Duke Nukem 3D and lost me at Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

To me the good old days of FPS were Duke Nukem 3D, Doom (I & II), Quake, Rise of the Triad, Unreal, Heretic/Hexen, etc.

The first Call of Duty pretty much signified the end of "the good old days" let alone Modern Warfare 2.

And who could forget the beginning of it all with the great side-scrollers from Apogee/id like Duke Nukem and Commander Keen.

• Like 4

And who could forget the beginning of it all with the great side-scrollers from Apogee/id like Duke Nukem and Commander Keen.

I would love an update for Commander Keen!

You guys are all forgetting the likely progenitor of the genre: Wolfenstein 3D!

th.thumb.jpg.afd61a94e2251967ee2b02b204c

Ah man...

I will never get back the amount of hours wasted, but I don't mind.

NOLF, NOLF2

NOLF2 had so many amazingly creative levels. The tornado one and the unicycle one are some of the most memorable moments I have in my (to be honest, fairly limited) history of gaming.

• Like 1

NOLF2 had so many amazingly creative levels. The tornado one and the unicycle one are some of the most memorable moments I have in my (to be honest, fairly limited) history of gaming.

Too bad that the developer wants to bury the franchise. No HD remakes or nothing.

This is why I have enjoyed the latest iteration of Wolfenstein so much (The New Order & The Old Blood), as I feel it really does a great job of being somewhat modern, but still taking a very traditional approach to things.

For starters, it has a weapon wheel. I am trying to recall which FPS in particular made it popular to only carry 2 weapons, but that right there was the beginning of the end to me. Just give me a weapon wheel and let me decided which weapon I want to use when.

One of my personal favorites from the old school is Soldier Of Fortune 2: Double Helix.

• Like 2

I feel like FPS games died starting with/after COD4.  That's when multiplayer with microphones really took off, and giving a bunch of 5 yr olds a microphone pretty much caused teamwork to evaporate.  It also started the trend of games being driven my the multiplayer and the single player story line taking the backseat. Add all the DLC junk on top of that and a lot of FPS games just aren't as attractive anymore.

Everything from Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Rainbow Six, and up thru BF2 was really solid and re-playable over and over.  Now everything is about grinding for unlocks or having DLC packs held over your head.  Not as fun.  Or maybe it's that I've grown up and have other interests now. :p  Meh.

• Like 2

You had me at Duke Nukem 3D and lost me at Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

To me the good old days of FPS were Duke Nukem 3D, Doom (I & II), Quake, Rise of the Triad, Unreal, Heretic/Hexen, etc.

The first Call of Duty pretty much signified the end of "the good old days" let alone Modern Warfare 2.

The first Call of Duty was a good game imo. UT. BF 1942. HL. Those were great fps games. Even Halo was nice imo.

The new CoDs though i want to puke just thinking about playing any of them.

• Like 1

Too bad that the developer wants to bury the franchise. No HD remakes or nothing.

I don't care about a remake, but a proper digital release with some minor updates or enhancements to make it work out of the box on newer systems would be more than welcome. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it were available on GOG or Steam. And it's not about the developer either, Monolith probably doesn't have a say in any of this, even if the same people who made those games were still around (which they probably aren't), it's the legal hurdles and ownership issues that are preventing any re-release. Last I heard, some studio that specialized in re-releasing old PC games was really close to obtaining rights, but the fact that Monolith switched hands from Sierra to Warner Bros. made it all too complicated and they gave up. Which sucks. major. balls.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's not really Monolith that wants to bury NOLF and that awesome robot game. it's the fact that Monolith as the developer they used to be doesn't exist as an entity anymore :/

Either way, as great as some of the old FPS games where, and some still are. Let's face it, while we'd enjoy playing them for a little bit for that retro feel. it's not somethign we'd go back to playing over modern games, as much as we complain about them, they are better. 

Unreal Tournament from 1999 was dope.

I absolutely loved that game. Turning blood splatter decals to effectively never go away meant each match was a blood bath

• Like 1